Author Topic: How We Got So Far.  (Read 101202 times)

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« on: August 18, 2003, 10:51:46 AM »
For those people that are new to this forum, don't know the full story, or want it repeated, I'm going to explain how we've gotten this forum this far and everything that's happened so far since as long as I've been here.

It all started with the NHCS. The owner of the forum was Kevin Ar18 (just simply known as Kevin), who founded it as a fan site for Outpost 1 and 2.
Kevin was the first person who proposed creating new maps for Outpost2, and the first to find the map format out.
The site started about 3 or 4 years ago.
You can still see most of the site, and the forum's posts, at http://op.virtualave.net/
One day Kevin came out and told us all that Outpost was taking up too much time in his life, and said he was closing the forum because he didn't have time to moderate it.

So, Dark Templar Kiler (later known as just Killer), came and opened a new forum, located at http://op.virtualave.net/

Edit by OP2Patriot: op.suddenlaunch.com

Edit aded by CK9: Kiler wasn't the only one who created  new forum.  Right before I heard that kiler's forum was created I tried to create one, only to learn that it wasjust a fee trial forum.  (It isn't imposrtant, but I just want it known that it wasn't only a power-hungry person trying to keep the fans together.)
Edit by OP2Patriot: I had one too, but that does not matter.

That forum went well for about a year or two, until some problems arose.
The first problem was, Killer promoted and demoted admins and GM's for no good reason. (In other words, he killed off the admins because he wanted, this is known as his "Admin Killing Spree".)

Edit by OP2Patriot: There were two Admin Killing Sprees. There were over 7 admins the first time, and around 6 the second time. Also changing the background of the forum was a pastime of the former Chief Administrator.

Later a second problem occured. Killer started deleting posts that he thought spoke out against him.
Betaray made a long post about the problems with the administration, and most of the text was censored.
About a week later, the whole thread was deleted.

Finally, there was so much pressure put on Killer, that he transferred adminship to Xkr25, his supposed "friend" in school, who was the same age as him. (As it turns out now, it appears that he is 18. This has not been fully verified.)
The forum went better for a time, but the people still felt that the noose was still around their neck, because Killer would have an influence on Xkr25.

Edit by OP2Patriot: XKR25 is 13.

Until the next cascade of problems.

One day, it was impossible to log on to the board! The members looked at the members list, and lo-and-behold, Xkr25 had deleted all of the forum members.
The members were enraged.
Conspiracy theories were formed about who did it.

But, at the same time, I and others such as Philip and Martyn thought it over. The forum could be closed for TOS violation, since Killer was 12 at the time he started it, and the Sudden Launch TOS read that "you must be at least 13 to use the Service."

Also, I thought of a method that could be used to "hijack" the main admin account, therefore giving us full control of the forum. I told Martyn my plan, and how we could exploit a security hole in the forum to change the main admin account's password.

However, it required that Xkr25 would be logged in currently to the forum under the main admin account; and would have to click a link to execute the "rogue" instructions to change his password.

Martyn ended up getting Xkr25 to click this link, and the forum was successfully hijacked.

xfir: Actually, he didn't click a link. I logged him out by a clever little trick of my own: through the counter I hosted.

another edit by CK9: before Xkr25 became an admin, beta attempted to make the forumites aware of Kiler's evils by staging a big leaving.  This plan backfired and people said stuff like, "Stop your complaining, get back here and post you wimp."(I'm a bit off, but it was similar)  After the problems with Xkr25, Beta and I found an old abandond forum that we could try to conince the forumites to get to.  All we needed was somepeople old enough to apply to be the new moderators, people we knew we could trust.  Before we begain our search, two things happened.  First, we found out that you had to log in every post.  Second, the forum was deleted.

But not long after, op.suddenlaunch.com was shut down "due to TOS violations". However, the members managed to stay together long enough to create two forums, this one (forum.outpostuniverse.net), and the OPC (..com)

This is how it currently stands, two separate forums.

March of 2004, op2hacker and Leviathan staged a coup and removed xfir from power. They moved the forum and it's member base to http://www.outpostuniverse.net.

April 1st of 2006, xfir, as a prank, uploaded an old version (from March of 2004) of the OUF.

xfir's copy remains up so that his webspace doesn't go to complete waste.  Hacker attempted a truce of sorts, but due to the nature of the takeover, xfir was untrustung of his words.

Both communities stand today in peaceful co-existance. (sound familiar? :P)

=== End of Story ===

(CK9, xfir, Phil, others: I give you permission to edit this post to add extra information, or change incorrect information)

Hope this helps explain what actually happened over the past 3 or so years.

[EDIT by Eddy-B] Updated the 2 dead links of virtualave.net
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:26:46 PM by CK9 »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 05:17:27 PM »
Hacker, if you think this shouldn't be here, delete it.

Philip and Beta need to add on.

To philip: Think we should tell them about the smiley/signatre incident?

To Beta: You should give a btter account on the abandond forum that we were thinking of getting people to
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline OP2Patriot

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 05:19:08 PM »
I added on a bit. I'm lazy, so I don't feel like giving more details. Um, depends if you will make referrence to it in future posts.

The Forbidden Outpost 2 Forum ... they don't want you to know about it.
Yell if the above link disappears.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 05:24:12 PM »
Your name and hacker's name are too similar.
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline OP2Patriot

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 05:31:50 PM »
BWA HA HA, don't you know he is one of my egos? (jk!) So sue me.

xfir

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 10:13:35 PM »
Uh huh.. Maybe you should mention how many admins Kiler had at one time...

I also added, and made a change to CK9's order of edits to make the posts make more logical sense.

I also Added Bolding to the original text.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2003, 10:17:59 PM by xfir »

Offline OP2Patriot

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2003, 09:36:24 AM »
Let me see if I remember who all were at one point admins at Killer's. Ezekel, Martyn, Op2hacker, Betaray, CK9, Knux, Ttamdude, and me. Did I forget anyone? I remember Killer once promoted Betaray to admin, so that Beta could edit his own account. (I don't know if I ever told anyone that)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2003, 04:15:39 PM »
Beta and I were GMs.  Becase of the smiley/sig incident he didn't trust me enough to make me an admin when I was the first to God rank.
CK9 in outpost

xfir

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003, 06:11:43 PM »
I was an admin. I was the one who got the fade in/out to work on the affiliates.

Offline OP2Patriot

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2003, 08:05:01 PM »
CK9, you were an admin. Remember when op2hacker promoted 7+ people after Killer resigned?

Offline Coconut Monkey

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2003, 12:07:25 PM »
Interesting little tale! I'd like to know more about your hacker exploits..... :D  
Minmaxing the world since '82

"Making it all make sense." - Windows 3.0 Reference Manual

Offline OP2Patriot

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2003, 01:25:50 PM »
I saved my post where I proclaimed Killer as an unfit admin and called for him to resign. Although there are now two forums, this one is now the most frequented. Maybe xfir and I could tell a tale of the hardships of making this forum #1. (Maybe, I said) We definetely have veteran posters here. How many here are from the NHCS? There I was #4, at the end. In first was KevinAr18, he does not post anymore. Ezekel was #2. He doesn't post at this forum if anywhere. The person in third was Betaray, and he is here.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 02:05:32 PM by OP2Patriot »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2003, 02:26:31 PM »
CK9, you were an admin. Remember when op2hacker promoted 7+ people after Killer resigned?
I remember the promotion, but not the adminship.  Then again, I did have alot on my plate after the form died.
CK9 in outpost

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2003, 07:28:47 PM »
I did that since I knew his pass and wanted to try to keep it alive

In hindsight, it only made it worse.

Xfir: martyn and I did edit his password.... then he was logged out.

I was responsible for the little features like random op2 tips, etc. That was my primary motivation to be an admin at that time, not for the power.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2003, 12:05:07 AM »
you know what?  I just remembered it.  I remembered 'cause I thought of the time I was learning the admin features and was trying to add a smiliey.
CK9 in outpost

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2003, 07:34:56 PM »
very intresting, its nice seeing our history in a nutshell lol

btw I havnt edited it because ive been in cali and havnt had access to the comp

btw ck9, I can barly remember that forum lol, I saw alot of off shoot forums just like the one phil made, but none of them ever picked up and faded into obsureaty
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2003, 03:17:34 AM »
um, that little story of your is kinda missing something (i.e. i'm not mentioned once!)

i've been around since the NHCS, i've always thought i was a good op fan (even though the only contributions i have made besides a few maps, are my many comments and suggestions and POV posts)
i was the one who made a standard "ship reference" for the OP universe, if you remember...
and i always thought i had been a good admin back at the killer forum...
also, i think it might be notable, that until knux and gpagarretboast started to post here (rather then at the OPC) the OPC was the primary forum...

sorry for my rant, but i just felt i deserved something...
and BTW, i was the 1st to get god rank on the killer forum (without changing my post count) but as i was an admin the whole way through it displayed "admin" and the 5 orange stars instead of "god"
sors CK9 ;)

and, also i believe that i would have overtaken kevin's post count if he had shut down a month later
(just pointing that out... i'm not a post count fanatic, and i don't post useless posts)
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline RipperKhan

• http://newvitech.com
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2003, 12:23:29 PM »
and dont forget , i was at nhcs, i was even there before ezekel, and when won started going down and before any 1 thought of makeing a server, i was alrdy trying to find a place for u7s to play at like gamespyarcade, wich was almost promseing, but owell, i felt like i had to say somehting. isnce im always the more quite person here.

Offline OP2Patriot

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2003, 03:51:04 PM »
Ezekel, your forum was only the primary one for two weeks, and before and after that it was a competition between the forums. Only during this summer did this forum come out on top. This is the 8000th post!

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2003, 02:39:19 AM »
oh yeh, and don't forget who brought xfir back into the fold....
yep, that was me (during one of my mass emails to all the idle profiles on the NHCS)... and i am pretty sure i was the reason that you reappeared ripperkhan

...ok enough gloating... i'm done (i think... i hope)
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline RipperKhan

• http://newvitech.com
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2003, 11:59:00 AM »
well u may have. but i was keeping an out eye on when the new forums were being created , all i knew there better had be a new place for the op community, and i think we all had a help getting this community were it is now. and i think that deserves a lil pat on the back, dont u think so?

Offline OP2Patriot

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2003, 12:52:02 PM »
If we were really to talk about who got who here, I recall sending an e-mail asking for your participation here, Ezekel, a day or two before you started posting. Heck, if we really wanted to brag, I could really brag all day. I'm short on time, and have to go now.

Offline Zircon

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2003, 01:03:24 PM »
If we were really to talk about who got who here, I recall sending an e-mail asking for your participation here, Ezekel, a day or two before you started posting. Heck, if we really wanted to brag, I could really brag all day. I'm short on time, and have to go now.
:rolleyes: It seems some peoples altitude suddenly increased... Watch out so you don't leave the atmosphere  ;)

Ripperkhan: and i think we all had a help getting this community were it is now.

Zircon: Wise words...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003, 04:40:55 AM by Zircon »

Offline OP2Patriot

How We Got So Far.
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2003, 01:26:35 PM »
Now that I have time to reply to Ripper's post (I was replying to Ezekel's), the forum is where it is now due to two factors:

1) The posters making this an active forum
2) The administration working to make this forum better

Both factors are necessary for a good forum. If there were no posters, why would the administration work so hard to improve a community? If there were no people working to make this forum better, there would probably be no posters here either. Let us not forget that admins and mods are posters too. The whole community, from the newbie to the root admin have made this community work. The community has endured many hardships, from the NHCS closing down, the loss of a multiplayer server, the Killer Crisis, and the OPC vs OUF competition. Now we are about to have a multiplayer server. Now we are united under one forum, no longer quarreling why one forum is better than the other. We are in a period of prosperity, but that does not mean things cannot get better. We can even improve the community further. Maybe one day this forum will have an Outpost website! One day in the future, we may have tenfold the posters we have now! The only limits we have on ourselves now are the limits we place on ourselves!

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
How We Got So Far.
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2003, 05:32:47 PM »
Phil is definitely right.

Its not one person, or a small group of people, that make the forums better, bigger, stronger, but it is the whole. It is everyone.

So, stop your whining about who made this community succeed, and look at everyone.

The only single person we can really give credit to is Kevin Ar18, who started the community. And I don't want to have to give credit to anyone who causes a downfall of the community.

If you argue anymore about "who made it succeed" I will lock this topic.