Author Topic: Stealth Technology  (Read 5381 times)

Offline Skydock Command

Stealth Technology
« on: November 04, 2006, 05:40:46 PM »
Stealth Technology

Related Topics:
-Stealth Unit

We could develop a sturucture that is mobile and deployable, when deployed every unit of yours and allies will be cloaked, meaning you cant see the cloaked unit on the screen or mini map. The sturucture might have to be seeable, just to make it not to hard for the other guy untill he reaserches the technology to detect cloaked things.

It would have a time limit and a reacharge rate of about 1 point per second. With a maxiumum of 450 energy points. It couldnt be targeted by other units, but it can be damaged like a normal unit if it is hit while cloaked, like area damage or if a unit were to target a point of ground.

The sturucture/unit could not be seen on the mini map or screen but after a certain technolony has been reaserched you could detect the cloaked unit with a scout.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 06:14:56 AM by Skydock Command »
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline White Claw

Stealth Technology
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 06:14:13 PM »
And you could hit this building with an EMP missile and knock it out! Sounds like a plan!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Stealth Technology
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 09:13:30 PM »
im sorry Stealth is not related to the lion chassis.

Stealth I am fine with stealth as long as its just on the mini map having a invisible vec is not stealth.  Having a building with cloaking fields seems a bit to much like star trek and Star Craft has some thing simular and its a real pain in the ass to fight or find a cloaked unit when there spread out.  The whole thing about a unit or a building that can hide all is just over used its every where.  sorry to say its not very original.

Stealth to me Means one thing Radar reflective Paints and Radar reflecting angles.  I think it would be better accomplished with a New unit.  It would be about the size of a lynx because size is a factor in reflecting a signal.  Here in real life there are only 2 things that counter act stealth Numbers and stealth.  

Offline Skydock Command

Stealth Technology
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 06:12:48 AM »
Why dont we have it sortof vissable on the actual screen then? Youd know its there, its just hard to hit because you cant target it.

The EMP knockout is a good idea White Claw. I hadednt thought of that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 06:14:43 AM by Skydock Command »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Stealth Technology
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 05:48:45 PM »
I dont know why you made 2 topics lol. but any way.

Stealth is just not going to happen there not going to try to make some kinda Field that can make every thing invisible.  Invisible units have always been crap in other games and i dont think they fit in very well with a OP game.  Like I said over there on the other topic.  Reflective paints/Angles.

Offline White Claw

Stealth Technology
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 06:04:08 PM »
Stealth or cloak? I don't think cloak is a good idea, but stealthy would be okay. I agree, a completely invisible unit is something I don't like.

Offline Skydock Command

Stealth Technology
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 03:29:10 PM »
Your right freeza. Lets make things so they cant be seen on the map because of reflective angels, and on the screen they sorta blend with the enviroment like a charmelian. We could develop the Charmelican paint and it could change its color is it moves over the tiles.

Offline lordly_dragon

Stealth Technology
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 05:33:33 PM »
I could not agreed more. It is like the cloaking device used in a game (shattered galaxy) they are cloaked yes but only for the naked human eyes. Your unit cannot open fire without you designate them to (they don't target them automaticly.) But, you can still shoot them without any form of detector you have to manually shoot them.

This idea got my approval

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Skydock Command

Stealth Technology
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 05:26:46 AM »
Thats one more vote. Anyone else?

Offline Sirbomber

Stealth Technology
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 08:14:29 AM »
So... You can see them, but your vehicles think that it's a rock shooting them?
Do we really need to degrade the vehicle AI anymore?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Stealth Technology
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 12:04:54 PM »
Given that we are talking about a 3D game  I dont think cloak will work.  Stealth would work but not cloak.  Stealth would keep things off the mini map but keep the vecs totally visible.  Since it is a 3D environment with dips and hills and what not it would make looking for them or seting up Scout picket lines.  

Having a Cloak Were you have to manually target seem pointless might as well let them walk right by and blow up some thing.  If we are to have cloak Vec automaticly fire they are computers not humans.  I think the idea of cloak which isnt even possible yet and is very generic in alot of games so it nothing special is just pretty much pointless.  

Offline lordly_dragon

Stealth Technology
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 11:19:55 PM »
Was a sugestion to differentiate classic detector needed. But yeah lets stick with the main idea.

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Jgamer

Stealth Technology
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 08:40:46 AM »
Uhn? This sounds like the Eden novella, where the Masters' base has a camo paint over it (so it doesn't shows in the sattelite images because it's camouflaged against the background and it has stealth measures) as well as units, that despite being colored so they blend with the environment are still visible, but only when near.

I do think that seeinga rock shooting at them is surely going to make the vehicle AI attack it, but stealth and camo means the vehicles will be just reactive, not proactive. That is, a camouflaged unit can pass by (to a certain limit, if they pass in some terrains like tubes and whatnot their camo dies) any unit without them detecting, but if they shoot they get discovered

Offline White Claw

Stealth Technology
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 07:21:28 PM »
I think Jgamer's idea seems a bit more realistic / feesable. Camo'd paint schemes to reduce a vechs appearance in the "fog of war" (if the fog will be included). I suppose it would really be a degrade to the opposing units "view" radius.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Stealth Technology
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 10:19:07 PM »
If there is a Fog of war in this game.  I would say there stealth units are vastly not needed.  Why have stealth on stealth?

Ways of stealth.  Shut off your lights when its dark.  Camo Paints to break up the units with the terrain.  ECM (Electronic Counter Measures) Blast out a signal to mask your own so you cant be detected by means of Magnetic Detection and Energy Draw detection.  ECM is used to lessen missiles effectiveness to stay locked on a target and also jams communications for fighter jets today.  Radar Reflective angles to bouce radar away and lessen the signature.  Radar Absorbing paints that Absorb some of the radars signal making the unit look smaller on the radar screen.

Currently trying to be made a fiberoptic camo that mimic the colors around the vec.

There are no Star Trek, Star Wars, SG1, and (insert TV/Book/Game here).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 01:03:42 AM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Skydock Command

Stealth Technology
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 05:12:35 PM »
Why not put all of those on one vech? It would work for me. :D  

Offline White Claw

Stealth Technology
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 10:28:57 AM »
I suppose what I actually meant with my fog of war comment was more like this.

For sake of argument, a scout can see a standard vech say 10 units of distance. Now if a camo/ECM/stealthy vech (however it is stealthed up, doesn't matter) approaches the scout, the stealthy vech only shows up (or is "sighted") at 5 units of distance from the scout.

And I'm not trying to imply that scouts are the only ones that can detect stealth. I just picked a scout for argument's sake. You can insert "Laser/Mic Lynx" if you'd like. But then if a lynx can only "see" for 6 units, then it sees the stealty vech at 3 units. This could also affect targeting. So a stealty vech can get closer to a thor or something.

So now there's no requirement for special research. Stealthy units can still be seen and targeted. And they don't become uber weapons for which spamming would be a problem.
(And stealth doesn't need to cause a 50% reduction. Again, it was just to make a point.)

So here, stealth can be radar reflective, ECM based, or just camo paint. All of these things could cause a computer AI problems for detection and targeting requiring a combat vech get closer.

(Dang, that seems long...  :yawn: )

Offline Skydock Command

Stealth Technology
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 12:42:14 PM »
Wow, thats good. Great idea. Im glad that our devepopment team is so good. :D

Lets use it. But do the vechs just come with it, do we tell it to add the stealth, or do we have a new kind of casis? If its a new casiss then how about low armor, medium power and lynx speed.  

Offline White Claw

Stealth Technology
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 12:45:50 PM »
I figure its mostly for a specific (new) unit. (Hence, the "stealth unit").

However, there could be considerations for researching it into another unit type (i.e. the lynx or a scout). But that raises other questions. I don't think you'd want the capability for a bunch of stealthy tigers to show up in the middle of a base. That's too much...

If it's a late upgrade to the Lynx, it might give it a longer game life as a flank cavalry unit... (This might be a better option than to create a new chassis that is basically a lynx.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 12:46:47 PM by White Claw »

Offline Skydock Command

Stealth Technology
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 01:02:15 PM »
Why dont we have it upgrade the lynx and the scout. We could upgrade the lynx for the reason you said, and the scout as a reconesence vech if we have fog of war or something.