Author Topic: Proximity Disaster Detection  (Read 8510 times)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Proximity Disaster Detection
« on: October 29, 2006, 02:58:12 PM »
pretty simple, when a disaster is predicted by your computer, it will automatically tell if it will be near any of your buildings or units

I've always found it annoying to be warned about an earthquake happening on the other side of the planet, perhaps you could have it set so it will distinguish when a disaster is near you, and when its not, or just inform you about disasters near you

also, a nifty feature would be if a disaster is predicted on the path line of your moving units, it would automatically update the path to avoid the disaster
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Skydock Command

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 02:59:28 PM »
Sounds good. Will have to make it a reaserch.  
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 03:06:08 PM »
disaster prediction is already research, perhaps the path finding changer could be researched, but I don't see why it would take further research for the computer to say if a disaster is going to be near you or not, it already says where it is going to be

perhaps with storms, unless it spawns on top of your base it wouldn't tell, because it doesn't know what direction the storm will move in, but once it forms it could produce an additional warning if the storms path will eventually take it over your colony

I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline White Claw

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 05:43:44 PM »
I like the idea of being able to "filter" out some information. Make it more customizable like "Let me know if it is within X distance of my units/base".

Of course, knowing trend information for a location (heavily seismic) prior to establishing a forward base is good to know too. This would be a problem if the information were filtered out. (Unless you sent a scout to sit there for a while.)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 05:46:46 PM »
That makes no sense since OP2 already gives you precise coordinates of where disasters take place.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 06:14:37 PM »
I think he might mean a trajectory path (range for quakes) of where it might hit which would be nice but i see that happen after you get the edward up.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 06:15:34 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline lordly_dragon

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 06:30:59 PM »
That makes no sense since OP2 already gives you precise coordinates of where disasters take place.
True they warn you, but do you honestly care what is happening on the opposite of the map? I like this idea so far  :P  

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 09:01:51 PM »
I see what he's saying. It would be pretty cool to have actual projections instead of "an earthquake just happened here. sure hope nobody died."

Offline White Claw

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 07:19:03 PM »
Mostly my point was if you filter out every information about every quake that doesn't happen near your base, it could be a problem for expansion.

If another area is hit frequently by quakes (say by an ore mine) but you never get warned, you might be tempted to put a full outpost nearby. Whereas you might not have done so if you knew it already got hit by a dozen quakes.

(I'm still not sure that made sense.)

Offline Chandler

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 08:23:46 PM »
Perhaps have it inform you of a quake, but not alarm? So instead of "Warning: Siesmic Event Detected" (/Iminent/etc), have it just say "Siesmic Event Detected" (/Iminent/etc), or maybe just inform yopu with the "Siesmic Watch Initiated", but then not warn you when its iminent or when it occurs unless you have units near there?

Also, are the Savants perfect siesmologists / vulcanologists / meteorologists? I know humans can never get it perfect, so IF the Savants can also make mistakes with their warnings, perhaps add that when will say "Siesmic Watch Initiated" it may not eventuate into a quake because they got it wrong?

On the other side of the coin, if they are perfect meteorologists - can the plot their predicted path of storms/vorticies and even lava when they are detected? Just another idea.

As for determing a good location for a base/Outpost, perhaps have an overlay (ALA Sim City), showing you the severity/frequency of disasters (either overall or a particular disaster - ie you don't care if there's meteors when you have MD, and same for Eruptions when you got lava walls...)
Chandler

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 09:33:00 PM »
so it will say HOLY s*** THERE IS A QUAKE! lol

Offline lordly_dragon

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 10:45:50 PM »
Our scientist are inacurate the quake striked in the middle of the base LAUGH!  :rolleyes: This idea sound really good overall we just need to set some boundary about it.

we could do a ''radius'' of X all around each unit/building and if a disaster occur/is predicted Y far (depend of the desaster a quake dont move...a vortex DOES) then the computer warn us.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 10:39:28 PM »
it would be cool to have a map overlay that shows a color-relief of various disasters. like if nothing happens in that area, its just the regular map, light disasters, its green, more disasters it gradually goes thru the spectrum to red.

that way it gives you a GRAPHICAL repesentation of problem areas so you can avoid them and not have to visualise in your head. it would just be pretty cool.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 07:17:46 PM »
Like Freeza said, "Holy $***, there's a quake." The closer the quake is, the louder it yells at you!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 09:10:57 PM »
Quakes would use a Ring to show there influence

Storms would show a line for the path its going to follow

Meteors would show the impact  but not pinpoint it would give you a range of where it might fall say like 4 or 5 tiles ring.

Vortex This is the tricky one Now it has a random path so all you can really do is have where its going to start and then a radius of where it will end and any thing inside that radius has a possiblity of getting killed.

I would have to say most of this would have to happen after the Edward goes up.

Offline james239

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 11:31:02 PM »
perhaps there could be a marker on the mini-map in the corner, so you can tell exactly where a disaster's gonna hit without having to search for exactly where the coordinants of the disasters are.

Edit: lol, thank you Freeza, I kinda wish I knew that earlier. you learn something new every day...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 02:17:53 AM by james239 »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 01:08:22 AM »
When the Savant say Vortex warning you hit the space bar and your screen will go to where the disaster is going to form.

Offline Tellaris

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 01:20:41 AM »
For disasters, give about half a screen to a full screen space.   Any closer, and you are almost guaranteed a hit.   For Quakes and Vortexes anyway, but those are also the only two that really matter.   Most meteors are not fatal, and storms are more annoying then deadly.   The big bad thing you actually have to worry about is Blight and Lava.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline lordly_dragon

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 07:13:08 AM »
it would be cool to have a map overlay that shows a color-relief of various disasters. like if nothing happens in that area, its just the regular map, light disasters, its green, more disasters it gradually goes thru the spectrum to red.

Not every section of a planet have the same type of disaster (like in earth). We could have a tab that for different disaster. togle them on/off would give you a ''aproximate'' of what can strike here and HOW often. The only exception IMO would be the meteor.

For example Vortex are more likely on earth to come on central region. Storm occur on a mutch wider range.

I don't know what you think about that idea?

Offline Rags

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 08:15:30 AM »
My lord, to you really feel that we should go into that much detail?
How are we going to know which area is central etc the screen shows a flat map.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2006, 07:18:24 PM »
Eh?  :blink:  I don't understand...

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2006, 07:30:02 PM »
Maybe, instead of completely filtering the warnings out, they just don't have a Savant warning?

So it would still say "ALERT: Quake expected at x, y" in the communications log but have no voice warning.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Chandler

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006, 08:19:29 PM »
Maybe, instead of completely filtering the warnings out, they just don't have a Savant warning?

So it would still say "ALERT: Quake expected at x, y" in the communications log but have no voice warning.
Exactly
Chandler

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2006, 10:22:06 PM »
i would have that optional.

Offline Rags

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2006, 10:40:36 PM »
white claw, i was reffering to our Lord's (aka lordlydragon's) post that

Not every section of a planet have the same type of disaster (like in earth). We could have a tab that for different disaster. togle them on/off would give you a ''aproximate'' of what can strike here and HOW often. The only exception IMO would be the meteor.

For example Vortex are more likely on earth to come on central region. Storm occur on a mutch wider range.