Author Topic: A Theory Less Considered  (Read 9029 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
A Theory Less Considered
« on: October 25, 2006, 02:20:38 AM »
I have a theory about OPU. Maybe its already dead. It just hasnt been buried yet.

With everyone pulling in so many directions, nothing goes anywhere. The people and groups pulling at OPU strain so much that they become weak. I think this is what has already happened to OPU. People come on to IRC when they get bored and expect something to be there waiting for them and when there isnt, arent willing to do something for themselves.
All the sequel projects going in opposite directions is totally pointless. So far we have 4 "teams" composed of 2-4 people working on sequels. We have a group who both obviously and admittedly dont care about OPU as much as they should and we have a group who dont know what theyre doing and expect the few people who do to do all the work for them. The other projects are either dead or might as well be considered to be. We all want to convince everyone that we all have a crack team of professionals working on our games..... but we dont. None of us do. Its all about c*ck size. Even if the game never gets made or never existed to begin with, being considered the CEO of Outpost Games Inc. is good enough.
Im sure some people will jump to conclusions about this thread and somehow make it out to be evidence of my corruption. But seriously, some people at OPU must really think Freeza and hacker are morons if they think my *glaring* corruption could escape them and yet be so obvious to everyone else. C'mon guys. I make valid points and trying to change the subject my making frivolous claims of corruption doesnt help. So please, consider this thread.
I find very few people actually willing to work together on anything. I know we all have opinions, but thats no reason to go out and form your own little clique that nobody else is allowed in unless theyre "cool". Why is everyone here? Because we like OP2? I sure hope so. And those of us who are interested in making a sequel shouldnt be trying to stoke our egos by naming ourselves CEO of "The Only Outpost Sequel" or "Outpost 3: Give Me Money".
I made Colony3 in an effort to bring everyone together and yet somehow that was seen as glaring evidence of corruption. Interesting isnt it? Doesnt that say something about those people? Paranoia isnt a virtue, guys. Could we stop playing our little political games and work together on something productive? Can we just ignore money or status and just create something really cool?
I think its pretty true that paranoia, corruption and greed are what destroy great places (governments, countries, etc) and I think that rot isnt just infecting OPU - I think its already killed it off. The only thing keeping OPU alive is the fact that its the only place to find multiplayer games and its familiar to some of us. Thats why its populated entirely by regulars and we get very few new users. We arent welcoming. We arent nice. We arent productive.
The attitudes of me, Hacker and Freeza are the result of managing a community like this. So if you see something happen that youre not sure of by one of the admins - trust me, we all keep tabs on eachother and everything we do is in an effort keep this place hanging on by a thread.
OPU needs something to revitalize itself and I think making an unofficial sequel to OP2 would be a GREAT way to do that, but we cant do it while fighting eachother, being paranoid, having agendas or just in it for the envy of money and/or power. From what Ive seen the leaders of the various projects have enough skill to make a good OP3 if they all combined efforts. Id really like to see people stop fighting eachother, passing sarcastic comments and just do what we are all here to do - to make and play great games in the Outpost universe. Thats what I created Colony3 for, but from what I can see preventing fraud, theft and the general nastiness that is taking hold on OPU would be more work than Im willing to give. Something has to change if we are going to survive and it certainly must if we hope to have a sequel happen. It doesnt matter how confident or arrogant some people are, a sequel needs OPU and vice versa.

I know u hate me for making u read  B)  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 02:30:09 AM »
I know they will argue that we are all corrupt there for we do what ever we want even if we keep tabs on each other.  But its sound like one of those crazy people that are walking around saying there out there man there coming to get us all and anal probes are just the begining.

Offline siqueule

A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 05:43:27 AM »
maybe it's just a period of flotation...

media don't stop to say us that there is not any more petrol, sonyis  doing stranges politic actions to sell very expensive the ps3, vista will appear and rumors say that there is a lot of chicanery around, etc. we are stressed, it's normal  :unsure:  :(

I am sure in two or three mounts, situation will be regulated!
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 09:29:49 AM »
Yes, that is understandable siqueule. I can relate to the issue of stress, myself. Ive been wondering if things happening in the world are the cause for the recent rash of school shootings in the US. Living on the West coast near a nuclear sub base, I don't allow myself to watch CNN these days (prime target for NK).

If stress *is* the cause for the symptoms plagueing OPU, couldnt we treat it like a sanctuary from the things that bring us down? :P

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 01:17:22 PM »
oh come on, guys, we streched op2 sequel  to everywhere (op3 genesis, TFC....)
It should be only 1 op3 to increase efficency in working.
Now everybody is shouting and yelling and insulting becuse of a different op3 or whose is better (WTF is this s*** happening?)

OP3 should be only one, everyone has to sit and together talk how to will it be the same and good to each side. The more are working on one the better it will be.

WE DON'T NEED 403 OP3'S

We should make OP3, in the main menu: genesis story, next menu: TFC story, next menu:   ****** story

:op2:  
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 02:53:18 PM »
I think the thing is, people need to start being a little bit more selfless when it comes to projects.

For example, instead of a group of people saying "This is OUR op3" they need to start letting the community in on it, instead of cloistering themselves away in a little corner.

As for OPU itself, there are lots of places where work could be done. There is lots of work to be done on the wiki and the site, those who have accounts should really be trying to help out. Those who don't have accounts, let me know and I'll create some.

There are also 'decision' threads such as the wiki thread, I'm also surprised that more people don't post in them.

Finally, I think a few people (not saying names) need to stop thinking of everything as some "conspiracy" or "dirty little secret." (like the whole Colony3 thing).

As for becoming more friendly for new people, we need to organize information for new people and also allow them to participate in discussions. As I outlined in the other thread I posted before, it seems a lot of people treat new people roughly.

People need to stop talking about others behind their backs as well. It's forced several people out of the community and I, as well as Horus and Freeza, will severely punish any person who goes around trying to create gossip or otherwise make someone look bad.

As for the whole 'admin / mod corruption / abuse of power' that many people seem to think exists, (but yet we don't hear much about it until one of these threads come up) let me just tell you this: we have clearly outlined the rules. If people want to break them, they are going to be punished. Furthermore, we can't come to the forums asking for authority to punish someone beforehand (if that was the case nothing would get done and the spammers and kiddies would be out of control). There haven't been many problems with this sort of thing lately but I can recall cases in the past (i.e. 4-6 months ago) where people thought there was an abuse of power because a spammer was banned.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Offline Brazilian Fan

A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 04:40:27 PM »
Can I have a Wiki acount?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 05:09:09 PM »
Can I have a Wiki acount?
You should be set (talked about it on IRC). Let one of us know if you have trouble logging in or having troubles editing.

Offline White Claw

A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 07:08:09 PM »
Yes I'm new here so you can all just tell me to shut the f up. But from my experiences, the written word (especially on the internet) tends to be read more litterally and personal than often intended.

I'm not insuating that we need to all be "touchy feely" in our posts, but just consider for a moment that someone _might_ read your post as a personal attack. So instead of saying "that idea is just bull s***" and "that's a stupid idea", you need to include something particular...

i.e. "Sea units are not a good idea because there isn't going to be water in OP3" instead of "Sea units are stupid. I don't agree..." (not that this was said, but to illustrate a point)

With that said, when you read a post, try not to take it personally. It _probably_ wasn't meant that way and just needs clarification...

Bottom line is that I imagine most of the hard feelings are just inflamation of an off handed comment that grew into a festering wound...

Just my $0.02
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 07:09:31 PM by White Claw »

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 07:14:48 PM »
Very concise. I agree. I think everyone is a little stressed out and tends to go overboard. Every disagreement is an attack, every discussion a debate, every comment is an insult.

Unfortunately, sarcasm doesnt transate over 155 keys so adding that into the mix only makes things harder. But, its a narrow line to walk by being brutally honest or just a jerk. I think we all cross over that at one time or another.

Offline Mez

A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 08:25:16 PM »
Its a bulitin board.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  You shouldn't change what you are going to say because you are worried that it is going to offend someone.  Of course some posts are going to be interpretted as personal critisim.  But again it is your opinion, and if you don't want to have your own opinion critisied, then don't post.

However you do need to make sure that your opinion can be interpretted by everyone else, there is no point in having an opinion, if you can't voice it in a away that others will understand.  i.e. "The sea unit idea is bulls***", is an opinion that no one will underdstand & is rude.
Saying that the "sea unit is a bad idea because there is no water, or just can be implemented" is a better way to express your opinion (and you in the meantime can continue to think their idea was bulls*** in the first place, but have constructivly answered or added you opinion)

Providing your posts arn't down right rude or insulting (or completly irrevelent) then you have an opinion worth voicing

Telling someone that there idea is "bull s***" is most definatly down right rude and flaming.  Those posts / threads tend to get locked or removed pretty quickly. Before the classic flame war gets out of hand (For those who don't know its when you get very angry at the previous persons post and decide to insult them back)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 08:27:00 PM by Mez »

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 09:12:37 PM »
Yes, Mez. I think we are all guilty of going too far at one time or another. We need to make sure our posts can be interpreted how they are meant to, and its not always a good idea to piss people off. We want people to express themselves and not be censored, but we should try and keep it clean and fun.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 12:46:48 AM »
I sort of wonder if there is enough "bad" stuff going on to even warrant this thread. Are you sure this isn't just an overreaction to some small event? I mean I really get no sense of overall community breakdown, at least not until I go reading threads like these. Kinda seemed like everything was moving along fine, at least between the majority of people.

I guess a few points were made that I agree with. I have found this site a little less "fun" as of late. Although, I think a lot of that (aside from great real life pressures) is reading through threads like these (rather than being witness to any of the things these threads are talking about). Sure it's a way to get the message to trouble makers, or would be trouble makers, but it seems more like we're posting up a great big "hey we're dysfunctional!" for the entire internet to see.  :unsure: Maybe try a PM targeted at the people you were thinking of? It's probably more effective at getting the message across.

Now I agree there are some issues with any of the sequel projects ever getting finished, and if they are finished, what they'll be like. I've felt a few ideas suggested in those forums don't feel very OP2 like. Sometimes it gets to a point where it's mildly annoying. And I also tend to get rather pessimistic about any projects ever getting finished. It seems like people start on a project, are all hyped for a short period of time, and get bored well before the game gets anywhere close to being finished and abandon the project. Then of course some new people come along and repeat. Yeah, I know, it's classic. What game hasn't suffered a similar fate?

But is any of that even a problem? I mean who really cares all that much if their projects fail. I came here because of OP2, not some potential future OP3 project. Sure it'd be nice and I wouldn't mind seeing one someday, but I'm not exactly getting my hopes up about it. I know projects like these often don't get finished, but that doesn't mean that can't be fun to work on. Remember that people are here to have fun, and if they derive some great satisfaction from comming up with their own idea for OP3, and maybe even doing a little planning or presenting so they feel they've accomplished something (even if it's far short of a complete game, or even the first line of code), well hey, let them. If they weren't having fun, they wouldn't be here. Sure you can try and caddle prod them into some sort of organization and try to actually force a real full game out of them, but if they just don't want to be cattle prodded around, it's not going to work. Besides, even people who have studied programming for a long time wouldn't necessarily even know where to start for a project this big. It's pretty hard to organize when nobody really knows where to start. But hey, if people ever manage to get something together and produce a game, my hat goes off to you. (And if nobody ever does manage to produce a game, then what does it matter if you thought their ideas just didn't fit in with OP2?)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 01:23:48 AM »
I understand what youre saying, Hooman but its that sort of "it will work itself out if I dont pay attention to it" that I think is the source of our problems. This isnt a place where people just come to chill - there are people doing real work here and for those people, I think these kinds of issues are more pointed.

The people working on the projects (but not just them) are using community resources, spreading gossip and outright lies, stabbing people in the back, stressing people out and generally making things less fun. I think that DOES warrant discussion. Just because the causes are petty doesnt mean the symptoms are as well. Even if people freak out over a minute issue, theyre still freaking out (I use that term loosly). The constant chime of "corruption" is always here even if it isnt spelled out so clearly, its often found subtly throughout the forum in the form of sarcasm, gossip and paranoia.

Yes, these are little things. No, they arent full blown anarchy. But should we let things slide until they become that bad? Thats what this thread is about and I dont think censoring it just so we dont appear screwed up to the internet is a good excuse. Also, I havent seen much of you around lately. Youve popped in on IRC a few times but to be honest I dont think youre quite up to date on the happenings going on at OPU (Im not attacking you, please dont interpret this as an accusation). Also remember most of the issues going on are between the regulars. When they arent around it appears as though nothing is happening.

Im expressing a theory and some concern in the trends (notice my wording there) at OPU. I want to bring to attention that we are on a downward slope. It might simply be a temporary dip, or another turn on the bell curve; but we shouldnt expect problems to work themselves out. As I said before, I think that type of thinking is what perpetuates some of the problems. When we see something happen we should get active and do something about it, not expect someone else to take care of it or hope it resolves itself. Once again it comes down to teamwork and comraderie, which I think is something we have taken for granted of late.

-------

Im really glad to see this discussion continuing in a civil manner. I think so far, this is productive and contains some valuable opinions. Id like to hear more feedback from the general OPU population, especially the less regular users. What do we need to work on? What are your thoughts? What do you think the state of OPU is and where do you think its headed? Make sure you keep it civil and productive.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 01:29:21 AM by dm-horus »

Offline siqueule

A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 05:23:27 AM »
I know a (french) forum, it was a quiet and pleasant forum two years ago...

today, it's       the hell .    [/size]

racists, flooders, have infested this forum! (there is too a sort of sect <_<   )we can't say somethink because a lot of guy say that they don't care, and the news peoples think that is normal and they do the same thinks, and moderators don't  react :unsure:  because hatred and laxism have slowly accumulated  :ph34r:

so, be nice  :)  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 05:28:37 AM by siqueule »
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 06:11:18 AM »
Yeah, apathy tends to sneak its way in. Many online communities fall prey to it. You should come on IRC more often, siqueule!!

Offline siqueule

A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 06:24:10 AM »
yes, I thank seriously about return to irc. this week end, i will download the files  :)

but in this moment, I can't go to internet when I want, my laptop has roasted :blink:  and I must go to the informatic room to have internet  :rolleyes:  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:26:48 AM by siqueule »

Offline Leviathan

A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 06:32:41 AM »
I agree with what was first said by Horus.

Also I agree with hacker that I am surprised that more people just dont take part in forum threads or little jobs that they could do im sure. There is unlimited stuff to be done and you dont need to be a master at computing to do it. Maybe we need to get more organized and make it easyer for people to help out with the community but everyone could at least sate their opinion when it comes to a decision thread.

I think the admins do a great job and I am very greatfull for the time that they and others put it, I wish I could put more time in currently. I am thankfull that we have the team that we do and all of the regulars. But we need newbies to grow and stay alive. And realy it comes down to personal choise weather or not a newbie will stay with the game and community once they join. I have seen so many people come here and not stay for long. Its a shame but there is probably not too much we can do about it. On the whole I think people try and be helpfully and are nice but I agree with whats been said, people need to put differences aside. I've said it before and Ill say it again, were here for Outpost 2. I wish ZZJ would of seen that and stayed.

And yes we dont need loads of projects been worked on and made, we need one main new game and other small projects. Thank you to everyone who loves Outpost enough to spend their time and effort to help out the community and work on projects.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 11:25:33 AM »
okay, I'm bored of trying to read all this nonsense.

You all keep talking about how things NEED to happen, but what actions are taking to MAKE them happen?

Fact: OPU died a long time ago.  We've just been keeping it on life support.

Fact: OP3 will NEVER be finished, because the people in charge of the groups have their own visions.  They will only pull together if their vision of what OP3 should be is fully incorperated.

Fact: The members of OPU are getting worse over time.  Take a moment to look through the old forums of this community.  At Kevin AR's  forum, everyone was happy, no one flamed, no one swore, everyone got along or didn't talk to/about/towards those they didn't care for.  At kiler's forum, the spamming started.  When xfir ran the forums, things got a little better for a short time.  Then the community started growing with new players and some of the old players were harrassing the new players!  WTFH is up with that?  I saw people bragging when they beat someone who was playing multi for the first f***ing time!  And now, we got people at eachother's throats half the time!

Fact: The outpost serries is dead.  People are graphics whores.  They take one look at OP1 and OP2, see the '96 graphics and turn thier noses up at it.  However, this one can be changed VERY easily.

To the programmers: PULL YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES!  If I could code, I'd be gathering you all up together into a single group, and helping you get the projects finished 1 at a time.  However, I don't know how to code yet, so you guys will have to pull yourselves together, find the porject that has the most done, finish that one, then work on the next one.  Think of it as expansion packs for a core project.

To the members of OPU: STOP LISTENING TO THE NEWS FFS!  Turn off that TV, put down that newspaper, and put on some good music.  s*** happens everyday, if it's important, you'll hear about it without the news.  Calm down, and stop being so f***ing paranoid all the time.  The other day, I got a private message in IRC from someone trying to get me to tell hacker to take away horus's possision on the forums and IRC because he thought Horus was trying to take over outpost completely and comercialise it.  Now, Horus can be an ass at times, but I know he would not do that.

As to reviving the interest in the Outpost games:  MAKE SOME VIDS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!  If we make a bunch of in game vids to promote OP2, and post them on all the most-used vid servers, then people will see them!  If people see them, they will get interested.  Interested people = new members!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 11:26:41 AM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 12:46:44 PM »
The one thing about having people in power is some one will always stand up and say we dont need them we cant do things just as good as them there all a bunch of power hungry jack offs.  They will be there and gather the people around and tell them about the old time when some one else was in charge and they liked them and every thing seemed to smell like roses.  This will happen no matter what people are always going to think that the admin position is full of corrupt basts that are just doing things for there own gain.  This is why we have the KKK, Neo Nazis, and many other groups of people trying to fight "the man".  Every one wants to say that We the admin are corrupt but then they dont have to do our job and deal with all the crap that happens because people want to fight about a game they just played or they want to spam the channel to make fun of some one then turn around to cry about banning some one because there spamming etc.  There is non visible stuff that the admins do.  Like the server it was some what hacked and Hacker logged into the root and fixed and and got rid of a few holes.  Hacker added the OPU|bot to Hamachi so it could ban people and keep the chan clean so people could get in the server and enjoy a game of op2 with out having to figure out whos on what server or making a new server.  Horus did a little bit of web stuff.  Me I am mostly just a janitor I do forum cleaning and editing and watch the IRC chans.  If we are all around and one of us see a bad flamish post or thread we bring it up and we see if it should be deleted.  If no one is around we make the judgement call.  The threads are really just moved to a trash can.  That way if they were deleted with out a good reason they can be put back up.  But when we do have to do it by our self we tell each other via a PM on the forums.  Well thats all I have to say about the so called corruption

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 01:18:11 PM »
I don't want to say a lot here, because I don't have much time.

1. OPU was more friendly years ago. Would be great if it could be again.

2. if we want to get somewhere, we have to cooperate. That doesn't necessarily mean that everybody work on the same project, but that at least projects are not boycotted by others.

3. people working on sequals have different ideas and plans. I for myself wouldn't work on an op3 that won't fulfill my expectations. As long as noone pays me, I will only work on what I like. Of course I'm trying to choose projects that are good for opu (in my eyes).
And then there are people. I won't work on a project with people who I don't like.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 02:18:22 PM »
People keep saying that we should combine our efforts in making Op3, however the leaders of said Op3s are the ones who should make that decision in the end. They should be the ones to ask for help on the irc, or fourms. If someone were to come up to me with something for me to do (that I can reasonably do) I would do it. However just being told that I should be helping so-and-so doesn't help anyone.

It seems to me this kind of topic has been around the fourms a few times, and nothing much has happend. I personaly would like to get past the point where we list all of the things wrong with OPU and argue if they really exist or not.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 02:48:06 PM »
You all keep talking about how things NEED to happen, but what actions are taking to MAKE them happen?

Fact: OPU died a long time ago.  We've just been keeping it on life support.
That's not a really good attitude to have.. if OPU was really dead then these forums would probably not be here. (nor would any one of us be posting on them).

And part of the reason this thread is here to get people into gear, working on stuff. There are lots of opportunities, no one exercises these opportunities.

Fact: OP3 will NEVER be finished, because the people in charge of the groups have their own visions.  They will only pull together if their vision of what OP3 should be is fully incorperated.

I agree with that. People need to band together. My feeling about OP3 is, everyone should get together and make a version that overall the community likes. Then, if you want to add features to make it your own form / version of OP3, go ahead and modify it to your liking.

Fact: The members of OPU are getting worse over time.  Take a moment to look through the old forums of this community.  At Kevin AR's  forum, everyone was happy, no one flamed, no one swore, everyone got along or didn't talk to/about/towards those they didn't care for.  At kiler's forum, the spamming started.  When xfir ran the forums, things got a little better for a short time.  Then the community started growing with new players and some of the old players were harrassing the new players!  WTFH is up with that?  I saw people bragging when they beat someone who was playing multi for the first f***ing time!  And now, we got people at eachother's throats half the time!

Refer to my earlier post (trying to get people to use more tact online). This is also partly related to the admin corruption type of thing. It seems often that we try to deal with someone who is acting like a moron we get stereotyped as the "spam nazis" or people want justification for why someone was kicked, banned, or their posts deleted, some screaming "power abuse" all the way.

The simple fact is, none of this (the way people are treating one another) is going to change if we have to justify every administrative or moderation action with everyone else. We're just going to have to go ahead and do it. As I said already, we have rules posted, if people break the rules, there aren't going to be too many exceptions.

And sometimes perhaps we should be even MORE vigilant in punishing people who sit and flame each other or get into an hour long argument about a game.

Fact: The outpost serries is dead.  People are graphics whores.  They take one look at OP1 and OP2, see the '96 graphics and turn thier noses up at it.  However, this one can be changed VERY easily.

A lot of that is just out of our control. People are obsessed with the latest 3D effects, we can't suddenly change that. This is the case with most old games, not just OP2. And of course it doesn't help that OP1 was a flop, and OP2 didn't get near the exposure it should have in stores. But again, there is nothing we can do to change this.

To the programmers: PULL YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES!  If I could code, I'd be gathering you all up together into a single group, and helping you get the projects finished 1 at a time.  However, I don't know how to code yet, so you guys will have to pull yourselves together, find the porject that has the most done, finish that one, then work on the next one.  Think of it as expansion packs for a core project.

Okay, comments like this can get a bit irritating after awhile. I know you mean well, but writing an application is rarely something you just sit down and do in a single night. First of all, there aren't a huge number of programmers at OPU. There are very few who can do things such as patches or code analysis on OP2. This requires more than just basic C++ skills (you have to understand assembly and compiler-generated structures at the assembly level, etc). This makes it hard for every single person to get together and work on the same project (everyone has varying skills and different amounts of time in which they can work).
Also, when people tell me to "get to work on a project NOW" I tend to get rather irritated at that.

I do agree that projects need to actually get completed though, instead of just sitting there unfinished.

To the members of OPU: STOP LISTENING TO THE NEWS FFS!  Turn off that TV, put down that newspaper, and put on some good music.  s*** happens everyday, if it's important, you'll hear about it without the news.  Calm down, and stop being so f***ing paranoid all the time.  The other day, I got a private message in IRC from someone trying to get me to tell hacker to take away horus's possision on the forums and IRC because he thought Horus was trying to take over outpost completely and comercialise it.  Now, Horus can be an ass at times, but I know he would not do that.

Yes, I agree with not watching the mainstream news (they twist and sensationalize everything), but what does that have to do with OPU?

As for the claim that Horus was attempting to commercialize it, I'll say again, it's getting very frustrating listening to people who want to take everything they hear about a new project and think of it as some kind of "conspiracy." Horus is NOT attempting to commercialize OPU, nor would any of us let that happen. In fact, if these 'conspiracy theories' keep happening, we might need to start laying out some temp bans to get the people involved to shape up. I hate to say this, but if every new thing like Colony3 appears to a certain few as some sort of 'plot' or 'conspiracy' to destroy OPU, we have to deal with them one way or another.

As to reviving the interest in the Outpost games:  MAKE SOME VIDS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!  If we make a bunch of in game vids to promote OP2, and post them on all the most-used vid servers, then people will see them!  If people see them, they will get interested.  Interested people = new members!

That does sound like a good idea. Again, we should finish some form of NAT passthrough support (another unfinished project :(), once that is done no one should have problems being able to play OP2.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 04:25:55 PM »
So theres yet another conspiracy theory? I think I know to what event you are referring to CK9: when I went in the main chan and wrote in big caps "I AM HORUS AND I AM PLOTTING TO TAKE OVER OPU." Thats the kind of paranoia and well, stupidity that doesnt help OPU. I was obviously being sarcastic. In fact, I was making fun of the people who are always calling corruption on me because Im brutally honest :P I had no idea people were so convinced of my corruption that they will ignore obvious evidence otherwise. Also, how did anyone get the idea that Im trying commercialize OP2? Im sorry but thats just ridiculous. I think everything Ive done has been against commercialization. Is all this evidence of how far from reality some people are? tbh, its like theyre at a different OPU.

To the programmers: PULL YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES!  If I could code, I'd be gathering you all up together into a single group, and helping you get the projects finished 1 at a time.  However, I don't know how to code yet, so you guys will have to pull yourselves together, find the porject that has the most done, finish that one, then work on the next one.  Think of it as expansion packs for a core project.
Comments like these that help nobody. "PULL YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES!" Do you think anyone would want to code for someone if they told them that? I really think we should all be on our knees kissing hacker's ass for the FREE work he has put in so far. He certainly isnt required to do anything for us and yet there he is fixing problems and writing up solutions. Last time I checked, CK9 hasnt patched OP2 or done anything for the VPN. If the programer's service is so poor, why not fix the problems yourself?

It is true that OPU is getting worse. Thats precisely why I started this thread.  

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
A Theory Less Considered
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 05:37:59 PM »
In fact, if these 'conspiracy theories' keep happening, we might need to start laying out some temp bans to get the people involved to shape up. I hate to say this, but if every new thing like Colony3 appears to a certain few as some sort of 'plot' or 'conspiracy' to destroy OPU, we have to deal with them one way or another.

Heh, if that doesn't cause paranoia....  :heh:

I know what you mean though. People shouting conspiracy all the time get kind of annoying. It doesn't exactly lead to anything good.

Agreed about watching mainstream news. :P

Okay, comments like this can get a bit irritating after awhile. I know you mean well, but writing an application is rarely something you just sit down and do in a single night. First of all, there aren't a huge number of programmers at OPU. There are very few who can do things such as patches or code analysis on OP2. This requires more than just basic C++ skills (you have to understand assembly and compiler-generated structures at the assembly level, etc). This makes it hard for every single person to get together and work on the same project (everyone has varying skills and different amounts of time in which they can work).
Also, when people tell me to "get to work on a project NOW" I tend to get rather irritated at that.

Agreed.

Comments like these that help nobody. "PULL YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES!" Do you think anyone would want to code for someone if they told them that?

Also agreed.

I think this is maybe one of the reasons why I object to what Horus is attempting here. Even if the language isn't the same, the attitude kind of is. Although, with that said, I do agree with what he's trying to accomplish, just not the way it's being done.

Last time I checked, CK9 hasnt patched OP2 or done anything for the VPN. If the programer's service is so poor, why not fix the problems yourself?

Well don't expect CK9 to help out now based on what you just said.

Mcshay and TH300, I hear ya. Well put, that's how I feel.

It'd be nice if there was a project organized to a point where there was a bunch of small tasks laid out, and if you felt like contributing, you could just grab one of the small tasks and do it. Nice simple clear objectives that don't take too much time to do. It seems more likely that a project will get done if it's first organized so it looks appealing and attracts people to it, rather than trying to push people together and hoping they organize.

But unfortunately, all I can do is talk about it. Sorry Mcshay.  :(

And I wasn't advocating apathy in my last post so much as keeping things in perspective. I didn't say don't deal with things you think are wrong. I said consider dealing with them in a different way. And if things don't go your way, keep in mind that it probably doesn't really matter in the end.

As for that idea that we should be nicer to each other, yes, we should. But Horus, don't you think that comment is at least partly aimed at you? Ever since you've showed up you've had a way of getting to people. I've never doubted you're drive to get things done, but I've always thought you've had a way with people that's very likely to be counter productive. Sure I can appreciate someone being frank about something, but I think you often take things too far. You could try responding to people in a way that gets them to do what's right, rather than telling them what you think in the bluntest terms possible, hope they see the light, put aside their anger, and do what's right.

And does anyone else get the same feeling from this thread that they get from mainstream news?  <_<