Author Topic: Water And Sea Units  (Read 6397 times)

Offline newbie(4yp)

Water And Sea Units
« on: October 24, 2006, 02:45:55 PM »
I don't know if you guys talked about this, but my idea is that there could be water on the planet and that there would be sea units. Like for example battleships. transports. and destroyers (lazer destroyer, thor battleship). there could be land and sea battle. and you could add transports witch could cross the water and there could also be different chassis (battleship and destroyer). there could be a dock where you could launch the ships just like a vechicle factory but has to be partly on water. You could also add amphibious units.
I would love to give you a long, painfull, horrifing, and bloody death, it's just it would be to messy or to noisy, and if your still alive i can enslave you under my empire.

Offline White Claw

Water And Sea Units
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 06:39:35 PM »
If it were an aquatic world, wouldn't that make the idea of survival much easier? I mean, you wouldn't need the infrastructure as would be required in a barren, thin atmosphere planet...

Unless this were added onto some late phase of the game (if terraforming were completed).

Or perhaps more appropriate would be if there were some vehicle capable of crossing lava. Though that might be far fetched, since lava actually hardens over time. (Leaving a "ship" stranded.)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 06:41:27 PM by White Claw »

Offline newbie(4yp)

Water And Sea Units
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 07:51:38 PM »
well it could be probibly be a planet far from terra that has water but it would make survival easier but you would have to deal with natural disatres like woorpools and huricanes and i geuss it would make the game easyier.  never thought of that.
I would love to give you a long, painfull, horrifing, and bloody death, it's just it would be to messy or to noisy, and if your still alive i can enslave you under my empire.

Offline White Claw

Water And Sea Units
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 07:55:54 PM »
I think the idea is good if it were in a (way) late game phase. Just depends on how far the game is carried or if planet wide terraforming is even an option. I would imagine the colonists would be hesitant given the previous results.

Offline Chandler

Water And Sea Units
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 09:11:21 PM »
Perhaps a multiplayer Greenworld addition to OP3 (if it gets taken across from OP2)
Chandler

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Water And Sea Units
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 12:01:08 AM »
From what i hear about the Genesis planet its more then likely there isnt any water on the planet due to the heat and presure it has unless the team has changed that.

If there is water then i would have to say there would have to a significant ammount to actually warrant a Amphibious or Aquatic vec.

Offline Skydock Command

Water And Sea Units
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 10:45:36 AM »
I agree. Is it possible to have water though? It might evaporate because of heat though.
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline newbie(4yp)

Water And Sea Units
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 11:48:16 AM »
maybe it's a different kind of water one that doesn't eveorate? it could have some bacteria or other liquid that doesn't evaporate to much.

Offline plymoth45

Water And Sea Units
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 01:45:44 PM »
Thats completely unrealistic, I'm sorry to say. It could be something else liquid, just not water. It isn't a cold planet, so liquid nitrogen wouldn't work out. Perhaps mercury? (Heavy metal, I dun remember the density of it, wether its heavier or lighter than water. The first case would allow most things to float on it)

Offline newbie(4yp)

Water And Sea Units
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 01:51:46 PM »
isn't murcury piosonous or is that info wrong. things can float in murcury but large amounts of it? i think it would be possible for the bacteria making the liquid not evaporate. i perfur that idea. unless murcury does come in large quanties.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Water And Sea Units
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 02:01:05 PM »
Well, it's quite easy.

All materials have 3 phases: Solid, Liquid and Gas.

On a warm planet, most materials will exist as either Liquids or Gases. Which means you can have seas of molten metals etc..

On a cold planet, materials will be Liquids or Solids. So on a cold planet seas would perhaps be made of Methane or some other commonly found gas.

This would of course also depend on size/gravity pull on the planet in question. High pressure means materials will act differently.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Water And Sea Units
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 02:42:26 PM »
The planet was described as a Venus like planet (not a clone).  So there is going to be alot of heat and pressure.  

I think the murcery would be boiled away because of they way this planet is described.  Most things like nitrogen would only stay liquid under alot of pressure  with out the pressure it would just evaporate right away.  Plus liquid nitrogen would be very cold and would make the armor brittle.  

If you have seas of molten metal this isnt a place to be at all the colony would melt.  

Offline White Claw

Water And Sea Units
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 07:02:43 PM »
"Venus like" would be extremely harsh for colonization:

Temperature: 870F (Hotter than the planet Mercury, even though Mercury is closer to the sun) - Hot enough to melt lead.
The reason why it's hotter: The planet is constantly covered by clouds of sulfuric acid.
Atmosphere: Mostly CO2. Barometric pressure is about 1300psi. (Approximately 90 times more dense than on Earth.)
Mass: About 0.8 Earth. Gravity is slightly less than on Earth.
There is no liquid on the surface.

I know you said Venus like (and not a clone), but these are the basic conditions of Venus (not very hospitable).

It does have an atmosphere (meaning flight would be possible). Liquid water would not exist (it would very much boil off).

Oceans of liquid mercury are impractical because:
-mercury does not naturally exist in sufficient quantites
-It is so heavy, it would tend to sink into the ground (a brick of lead will float on mercury)
-mercury boils at ~675F. But under 90 atmospheres of pressure, it might still exist as a liquid (but it would also be at 870F)

Unless the intent is to just be 10% like Venus. 9 atmospheres of pressure and 150F or so. Not sulfuric acid but still heavy cloud cover? This would still open the door to liquid water. You would need less pressure and higher temperatures, but then it wouldn't be very "Venus like" anymore.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 08:51:45 PM by White Claw »

Offline Skydock Command

Water And Sea Units
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »
Thats right.

White Claw, are you actualy doing reaserch, or are you just realy smart?

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Water And Sea Units
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 04:27:56 PM »
Common sense maybe.. ?
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Water And Sea Units
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 04:39:23 PM »
Yes i know what you are saying i think there might be a old thread around here that talks about the planet.  If there isnt I think it would need to be brought up because its one thing if you willingly land on it its another if you crash or are forced.

also a venus like planet would have a s*** load of lightning because of all the s*** in the atmosphere.

Um... that's incorrect. The planet that OP3 takes place in is Venus-like in nature (NOT VENUS ALIKE! IT'S DIFFERENT). The atmosphere is EXTREMELY thick and volatile and the normal tempuratures on the planet are circa 280 - 350 degrees Faranheight. It's very far from cold. Just a note.

http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.ph...opic=2067&st=96
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 06:11:51 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline White Claw

Water And Sea Units
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 07:15:51 PM »
So really, it just looks like Venus...

Offline Skydock Command

Water And Sea Units
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 04:45:05 PM »
Yes.

We could have some wierd, impossible thing. Like a liquid water ocean on it. It is crazy, impossible, and stupid, but it could be the thing that atracted the colonests to the planet. The came to stay on the planet because of there fasination with the ocean. NEVER would they stay on a venus like world without a REALY good reason. This ocean could be it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 04:45:34 PM by Skydock Command »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Water And Sea Units
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 05:44:44 PM »
for a number of reasons above Water or amphibious units are just impluasable

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Water And Sea Units
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 11:04:47 PM »
Sea units are incredibly slow, vulnerable, expensive to build and support and would take a crew larger than is necessary to run a structure. The only reason we have sea units on earth today is because other countries have them. If we showed up on an empty planet with oceas, we'd just use unmanned air vehicles since theyre cheap, small and MUCH faster. sea units make no sense in a game where the population of the human race can easily fit within the city limits of St. Louis.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Water And Sea Units
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 11:44:33 PM »
Well horus i think your looking at it like Huge Air craft carriers or subs.  When really it would be a Lynx on water One turret good speed basicly a gun boat.  But ya unless the game takes place on a planet that can have water in enough quanties i would say no to water units.  The only make sence if you have large bodies of impassable water.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Water And Sea Units
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2006, 12:25:51 AM »
Yea, what im saying is they wouldnt build water units unless theres no other way.

Offline Skydock Command

Water And Sea Units
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2006, 05:21:38 AM »
Ok then. Sounds good.