Author Topic: Mp-mlrs  (Read 5340 times)

Offline Tiedyeguy

Mp-mlrs
« on: October 15, 2006, 09:34:48 AM »
I would like to put foreward an idea for an MP-MLRS (Multi-Purpose Multiple Rocket Launch System) Platform. MLRS= http://www.army-technology.com/projects/mlrs/
It would be similar to the ESG of OP2 but much more flexible. Each unit would have 2 phases: Mobile and Deployed. For those who played it, Star Craft had the Siege Tank. It could fire a small gun while mobile (Which the MP-MLRS shouldn't be able to) but could deploy to fire a long range heavy artillery cannon. I was thinking each MP-MLRS would have 3-5 munitions options: 1. Heavy: each rocket detonates on impact causing heavy but localised damage. Great against a few heavily armored targets, yet is very poor against lots of lightly armored targets. 2. Air-Burst: Rockets detonate over the target area raining shrapnal everywhere. Fairly good against large groups of lightly- or un-armored targets, but barely scratches heavy armor. 3. Delayed Heavy Penetrator(DHP): Similar in theory to a PavewayIII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBU-27_Paveway_III) which would impact, imbeding itself into the ground/target, then detonating a second or two later causing a very strong, localised seismic disturbance for about 1 second and a large crater. Basically just used against structures and terrain (assuming deformable terrain is included) hopeless against units if the owner is paying attention to them.
SUGGESTED STATS:
Rounds: 12
Cycle Rate: 2 rounds per second
Reload time: 10 Seconds
Munitions switching time: 30 seconds
Speed: Very slow
Armor: Light
Cost: 3000 Common, 600 rare
Build speed: 60 seconds/unit

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Mp-mlrs
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 10:10:33 AM »
sounds to me like an God weapon.
  • it should have only one phase (c'mon no one will like to against an God weapon).
  • It's not OP2 style (my opinion)
Your idea is nice, but try to re-model it.

Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mp-mlrs
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 12:49:03 PM »
why dont we just have it fire MOAB.  I dont really like that dual fire stuff.  its much easier when the vec fires one way.

Offline Tiedyeguy

Mp-mlrs
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 02:33:32 PM »
Upon playing some OP2 and reading Savant's reply, I noticed that my specs (previously reffered to as "stats") are in deed in need of revising. That said, LET THE REVISING BEGIN!
REVISED SPECS
Rounds: 12
Cycle Rate: 1 round per second, 1.2 RPS after research intensive upgrade.
Reload time: 10 Seconds, 8 Seconds after research intensive upgrade.
Munitions switching time: 30 seconds: 10 seconds to unload, 10 seconds to ready new munition, 10 seconds to load new munition. Can only be done while deployed.
Deploy/Undeploy time: 15 seconds.
Hit Points: 200, 250 after research intensive upgrade.
Speed: Very slow.
Armor: None, Light after research intensive upgrade.
Cost: 4000 Common, 1000 rare
Build speed: 150-200 seconds/unit

REASONS IT IS NOT A GOD WEAPON
1. Expensive and slow building makes them harder to get.
2. Specialized modes with slow swapping time between modes. A god weapon would be a bad ass Jack-Of-All-Trades or Ace-Of-All-Trades if you will.
3. Slow, and weak physically.
4. Can't fire and move at the same time. You have either an awesome, yet weak Guard Post or a weak, slow, blind Robo-Surveyer.
Brian
PS: It could be explained as being OP by a particularly strong encryption protocol on the old Earth Archives about Warfare.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 02:35:37 PM by Tiedyeguy »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mp-mlrs
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 02:40:26 PM »
This sounds like a whole new chassis some thing i think people wanted to avoid

Offline Sirbomber

Mp-mlrs
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 03:09:04 PM »
Meteor Defenses would own that thing.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Tiedyeguy

Mp-mlrs
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 03:29:00 PM »
Meteor Defenses would own that thing.
Do Meteor Defenses work on RPGs? I think not. Though I believe MD should have like a 50% chance of hitting MLRS rockets.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Mp-mlrs
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 04:22:42 PM »
Another thing you might want to consider are limitations to make it less of an 'ultra weapon' (that I've seen in other games):

- Minimum range (i.e. like the Starcraft Siege Tank, it can't just blast away anything immediately next to it)

- Damages other units (including friendlies) in the weapon's path (like the Sonic Tank in Dune 2000)

But yeah, a new chassis is something people might frown upon. If it could be mounted onto a lynx or tiger chassis then it would work better.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 04:23:29 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Sirbomber

Mp-mlrs
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 04:44:32 PM »
Do Meteor Defenses work on RPGs? I think not.
Do RPGs hit you from above? I think not.
This thing sounds like it would act a lot like an EMP Missile.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 04:44:51 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mp-mlrs
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 04:55:24 PM »
Extreem Long range weapons that have a ballistic nature like the EMP missile would be shot down by the Metdef.  Plus that kinda range and power isnt needed.

I thought of a Artillery unit the puma.  And people seemed to not like it all that much because artillery would be spammed.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Mp-mlrs
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 12:11:21 AM »
And they would in turn screw themselves over if they have no other types of vehicles.

If we do have artillery, i think it should be limited similarly to how Tiedyeguy limited his idea.

I do like the idea, but I say we have a min range also. That imo, would make it quite a bit more balanced.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Tiedyeguy

Mp-mlrs
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 02:25:56 AM »
Ah yes, I knew I was thinking of another aspect when I decided to originally post. Yes, I do STRONGLY believe that a minimum range is in order. On careful consideration I believe that it can not actively fire at anything closer than 3-4 spaces, or maybe the current RG range. Do to the area effect and spread fire natures of this unit, one could force target at the innermost edge of the minimum distance and nearly hit a target just inside of this zone with perhaps 10-15% of its rounds. This would more or less be useless though as if a combat unit got this close, the physical weakness of the unit wouldn't survive long enough to kill the attacker and be of any further use. You don't see howitzers and MLRS units on the front lines of more modern battles. Why? Because they are fairly weak units that would get their asses handed to them by even light infantry.

I wouldn't view them as "Extreme Long Range" weapons. Another spec I forgot to add would be maximum range. My personal thoughts on the topic would be in the area of 15-20 spaces which is 2/3s or less of a screen height or roughly a 1/2 screen width on my computer. (my screen shows 42, 34 of the battle field)

As for a Chasis maybe a lightly modified ConVec base? It is about the right shape and size. The research tech could say they modifed a ConVec to carry the weapon, which is very plausible from several aspects: A: In the story of OP2, when Axen borrows/tests the Thor's Hammer Tiger, he sees the rebel base has several "strange" combat units. Most are Lynx' with extra weapons and armor welded to the sides, but he does see, and I (roughly) quote, "a ConVec with a guardpost turret welded to the top". B: The ConVec manipulator arm could be used as a structural base for supporting the turret and would allow the turret to be swiveled and tilted using the existing actuators, which would also have to be upgraded in the initial tech to be able to move and support the massive turret. Thus lengthening the initial research tech time.

Diagram showing the difference between MLRS tragectories vs the EMP Missile tragectory: http://tdg.freeshell.org/pictures/MPMLRS%20VS%20EMP.PNG Yes, I REALLY get into my MSPaint drawings. Not bad for a crappy touchpad for a mouse :)
This drawing is mainly directed towards Sirbomber and Freeza, as well as anybody else who might need clarification.
Brian.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mp-mlrs
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 02:39:22 AM »
This sounds no different then the artillery unit i tryed to do and every one didnt want it because of the range and it was in other games and people would just spam them.  How is a Missile launcher any different.   In real life missile lanchers have like a 100 mile range to the artillery 20 mile range.  the more destructive because they carry a bigger pay load.  A medium range thing of this would be just like artillery that no one wanted.

Offline Skydock Command

Mp-mlrs
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »
This sounds like a whole new chassis some thing i think people wanted to avoid
I actualy like the idea of a new chassis. It could be only moutable by this new turret. Why? Because We could make it a compleatly spezalized vheical like the scout. I particularly like the idea of it being deployable. I have an idea of another deployable vheical, but it cant go in here. Ill go make a new topic.
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.