Author Topic: New Planets  (Read 26910 times)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Planets
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2006, 03:02:52 PM »
you dont realize you cant repopulate the human race with 20 people lol

Offline Skydock Command

New Planets
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2006, 03:34:44 PM »
If they had offworld colonies then you could easly evacuate one.
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline Sirbomber

New Planets
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2006, 07:25:24 PM »
Then why in God's name did I waste a valuable misison "liberating" Plymouth's Gene Bank?!
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Planets
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2006, 07:35:51 PM »
because its the right size to hold a keg a most important part on a starship

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
New Planets
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2006, 02:13:46 AM »
you cant repopulate the human race with 20 people lol
No you can't but, when they have appropriate medical care, DIRT and nursery and humans "repopulate" themselves, you will repopulate Human Race.
 (thumbsup)

Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Skydock Command

New Planets
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2006, 06:18:54 AM »
I know you cant, but they had 400 people when the left New Terra. When they get 500 or 600 then they could have the population needed to run offworld stations, while still keping the main colony on the new homeworld operational.

Offline Gagagigo3

New Planets
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 09:43:43 AM »
How ever, if those other colonys where made beyond homeplanet, they are going to be run by CPU, not you. You could just set material sending, people shipment, food, earth and oxygen shipment and all these materials needed for building the base.

You could create Multiplayer Campaign [i know this idea may sound "what...?"] in where a good (thumbsup)  player can launch a starship and ''goodies''
'with it and then another player controls that colony in a different environment. But save games will have to save on the server or the game should run fultime, wich means there have to be no enemies or you will be attacked while you SLEEPING... :'(

But...there could always be another way, like my project FOSOG i will start next week...you know FOSOG [Fulltime Outpost Strategically Online Game] I could make a "multiplayer campaign" there.

Enough writing: PS: look for my poll for my gamename
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 09:53:36 AM by Gagagigo3 »
Extinction is just the beginning.

Check this out, it rocks

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Planets
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 01:24:12 PM »
shipments of materials that is bad very bad because shipment in the future would have the same problem that shipments on earth have.  Late or dont show up for what ever reason.  And that makes me think that the game would turn into space trading economy game which isnt op2ish.

Offline Skydock Command

New Planets
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2006, 02:57:37 PM »
Your right.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
New Planets
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2006, 03:37:42 PM »
This whole idea would work but not in OP3. It would have to be "OP6" or something like that where there are thousands or millions of people again and they are all at different planets or something.

The only logical reason I could see a "new planet" being used in OP3 (or really a moon, a planet is a stretch) is if Cythera didn't have some resource that they needed (or it was very difficult to get a resource). For the sake of assumption let's assume that it was impossible to mine rare ore -- but for some reason a moon contained rare ore in its crust.

If that were true however it wouldn't justify actual human habitation. Mining (in OP2) is done by robots so there would be no reason it couldn't be done by robots on a moon as well.
Furthermore the idea over-complicates the game, because the game is an RTS the player is not going to want to worry about activity on multiple planets.

Keep in mind that the Genesis team wants ideas that would improve OP3 (as an RTS based on OP2), not ideas that would radically change the whole design / idea of the game! Adding extra planets or FPS views or anything like that doesn't fit in well with the concept of an RTS.

Same with some other ideas like burrowing units. This is not starcraft and a robo-dozer cannot burrow underneath the Creep.

Offline Skydock Command

New Planets
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2006, 02:36:56 PM »
Why would they need hundereds of thousands of people? Why not just a few thousand?

Offline Tiedyeguy

New Planets
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2006, 09:33:11 AM »
I think the idea of a remote mining colony could be a possibility. It is engrained in the novella in the form of the Gulag missions and such. One could have 2 windows, hitting tab switches between them. For the sake of simplicity, the non-active colony could be run using a highly simplified engine. To those who have played the X-Universe series, this would be equivilent to OOS (Out Of Sector) where combat is based on weapon strength values vs shield/hull strength values to calculate who wins and how much damage is given. This would require a second minimap window to keep tabs on the base. Popluation and resources would have to be for each base but you could have a way to send convoys between your bases. Maybe the farther the bases are supposed to be apart the longer it takes for the convoy to go from one game screen to the next. just an idea and my brains are turning to mush. I might finnish this idea later if there is interest but right now I need to sleep.
Brian

Offline Sirbomber

New Planets
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2006, 03:09:29 PM »
Mining colonies on other planets? Well, let's look at what you'd need for such a project:
Starship (obviously)
Miners
Surveyors or EDWARD Sat
Trucks
Dozers (maybe)
Earthworkers
Defenses
Command Center
Structure Factory
Vehicle Factory
Smelters
Agridomes
Residences
Med Centers
Nursery and University
Spaceport
Power Sources/Solar Sat(s)
Observatory and Meteor Defenses (Eden)

At this point, you'd be better off just building a real colony. It would cost too much and need too many people to operate. The ore mined would also take too long to get back to the main colony and most of the metal (for Plymouth) would have to be spent on SULVs to get to and from orbit. They'd also have to design a new SULV that can land, or they'll have a VERY hard time getting the metal down to the colony without teleportation. (Eden of course has the already heat-shielded RLV, making it only slightly more feasible for them. Of course, they would still need one for each colony.)
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Planets
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2006, 04:14:25 PM »
The X universe games are 3D sim with trading and all that the mines and all the factories in that game have workers and robots but they dont have you manage that stuff because it would be over whelming and it would completely kill the way the game works.

BUILDINGS NEED WORKS AND SOME TIMES SCIS YOU CANT HAVE A ROBOT CONTROLLED COLONY :P

managing one colony is bad enough but now you want to manage the other with a small mini screen i say f*** that there is more to a colony that can be shoved on a mini screen unless that screen is like 1248x1024

Offline Tiedyeguy

New Planets
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2006, 05:46:47 PM »
Mining colonies on other planets?
At this point, you'd be better off just building a real colony. It would cost too much and need too many people to operate. The ore mined would also take too long to get back to the main colony and most of the metal (for Plymouth) would have to be spent on SULVs to get to and from orbit. They'd also have to design a new SULV that can land, or they'll have a VERY hard time getting the metal down to the colony without teleportation. (Eden of course has the already heat-shielded RLV, making it only slightly more feasible for them. Of course, they would still need one for each colony.)
No no no... Mining colonies on the same planet. Why would all types of ore be in one location? Maybe the current area of play has more than enough common ore on the map but only has one or two single bar rare beacons on it. From priliminary scans when the starship got to the planet, there might be 6 or so other sites that were thought to be possible starting colony sites except for maybe the terrain was too rough to be able to start with. Now that the colony is up and operational but lacking in rare ore, it would the available resources to send a detachment of vehicles to secure and prepare the site. Then you send some ConVecs with base making gear and some cargo trucks, etc. If you have enough workers and scientists available, you have the vehicles/kits built and ready, and you have enough food and ore to sustain a colony till they become operational, this would be very feasable. I was thinking that once another colony is up, there would be a "Convoy beacon" at the edge of the map supposedly in the direction of the colony.
managing one colony is bad enough but now you want to manage the other with a small mini screen i say f*** that there is more to a colony that can be shoved on a mini screen unless that screen is like 1248x1024
Yet again people seem to be completely misunderstanding what I am trying to convey. The layout would not be all that different from the current OP2 layout. The only real difference would be that instead of one minimap in the top right corner, there would be a second. Just below the second minimap would be a button to switch between which colony you are actively managing at a particular moment. Think of it like Alt+Tabing between windows.
If there are any other points that need clarifying just let me know.

Offline Rags

New Planets
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2006, 07:44:04 AM »
In the novella, only one starship was finaly luanched in time, yet there are two skydocks that were operational. If we are to have eden and/or plymouth back, we must think of an excuse as to WHY they are still alive. Did the other faction modify the Skydock to support life for 400 people, not just the regular 6 as the crew working to build the startship? Did they hide on one of New Terras moons? What?
that would not work as Eden blasted off in search of a new planet in a new star system, if you could just wait off one of the moons then eventually the blight would consume everything and destroy itself and the colonists could resettle back on new terra in the same type of sealed buildings. If that was going to happen then why did both colonies want to waste so much time and energy in building star ships. much more sensible to just relocate to one of the moons and carry on from there.  

Offline Rags

New Planets
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2006, 07:52:23 AM »
Wait, instead of u controlling both of colonies in the 2 windows, why can't we have a "savant" system where a savant computer (AI) controls the basic fuctions of the secondary colony and the human player stepping in to quarterback the major decsions and if there is an attack or something?  

Offline White Claw

New Planets
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2006, 10:40:26 PM »
I think this might be an option for a single player campaign. Mostly like "Go out on a mining mission for the main colony." The results when you go back to the main colony would depend on your performance setting up the mining colony.

Good job = Steady income of ore
Okay job = less ore
Bad job = a trickle of ore (or none?)

Your main colony could continue to "run" while you're gone. So the longer you spend away, the higher chances of something bad happening.

But I think the idea of running multiple colonies (especially in multiplayer) would be overly tasking for the scope of games most people play.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 10:41:20 PM by White Claw »

Offline Skydock Command

New Planets
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2006, 04:37:27 PM »
It sounds ok, but I dont think people would like to come back to find there colony wiped out by an earthquake, or starved to death.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Planets
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2006, 05:28:20 PM »
WITH so much ore on one planet why in the hell would you spend all your resources to go to another planet for more ore.

The What IF things you keep talking about.  what IF a earth quake happened what IF a vortex happened ect.  If the people of New Terra played that WHAT IF game they would have died in space.

It seems to me that you guys want this to be more like a Intergalactic MMORTS.

The possible amount of planets that could support a colony are astronomicaly small.  Asteroid dont form in every system.  They formed in our solar system because The Sun Mars and Jupiter all having a pull effect on what would have been the 5th planet.  But yes Asteroid would be a good source of Ore and if there in the system that makes them closer but most arent big enough to support any thing.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 05:30:28 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Skydock Command

New Planets
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2006, 05:16:38 AM »
I see your point. Why not a space station, that is atached to an asteriod at one end? It could mine the asteroid, ship the ore back and then go on to another one.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Planets
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2006, 12:15:51 PM »
Distance is a MAJOR factor.  Your not going to be sending ore from one colony to the other because its just to far they dont have any Faster Then Light drives and Warp cores.  The ORE will not be MAGICALY beamed back to the planet.  They have ION drive and Liquid/Solid Booster Tech Ion drives arent that fast and Liquid/Solids dont have the fuel capacity.  

Attaching to a asteroid is another problem one that doesnt need to be bothered with the game but in the style of OP2 there is science behind why you cant.  You Attach some thing that big to a asteroid your going to change the way it moves or make it start to move and a asteroid has alot more mass compare to any space ship.  You could Tow the  asteroid in to a shared orbit with the planet or make it a new moon.  that would get it closer but you still have to deal with the time and its pretty damn risky to bring some thing that can be mined into orbit.  We are talking End of the planet type sizes.  Interstellar or Intergalactic mining just isnt a good idea because of the logistics.

Offline White Claw

New Planets
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2006, 02:58:38 PM »
Again, I think the game is mostly about survival. With 200 people, you're probably not going to spend so much time and resources to spread out over a second moon. Or mine an asteroid when there would be plenty of ore to support a colony of that size. (Or to support even several thousand)

Yes, the colony has the capability to build a spaceship. But the last time they only built it because they HAD to. It would take a lot of time and work to create a starship big and powerful enough to make mining asteroids worth while. And at that, it would not be instantaneous.

They have ION drive and Liquid/Solid Booster Tech Ion drives arent that fast and Liquid/Solids dont have the fuel capacity.
This is very true. It takes months and years for an ion drive to come up to full speed (though it is much more efficient than a chemical propellant). Chemical propellants are not efficient enough to push large amounts of material. You would need very large scale production facilities for this. Again, it would take a lot of manpower.

My suggestion earlier (about a "mining outpost" mission) was more of a campaign type game. And there is more behind my idea of a time dependent mission than should be posted in this thread.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
New Planets
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2006, 03:01:27 PM »
It's not just 200 people. In reality, it's somewhere in the thousands. Population was low ingame for gameplay purposes.

Offline White Claw

New Planets
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2006, 03:05:41 PM »
I'm not sure that really changes my point much. I was trying to stay in scale with the game. So even if we're talking about 20,000 people, I still don't think you'd want to spend the resources. How many people does it take for our manned space program? Yeah, now we'll argue that it's not a manned mission to mine an asteroid. But we're also debating colonization of moons and other planets.

Or was the point of this thread to be able to choose your initial planet? (Like in OP1)