Author Topic: Views Of Colonies  (Read 5192 times)

Offline omagaalpha

Views Of Colonies
« on: September 23, 2006, 02:46:14 PM »
views of colonies

Related ideas:

-

Description:

As problely have not noticed in outpost 2 is it assumed colonies go with all stuff do with colonies. I am not talk about moral and # building need for keep moral positive. People are not always so one side on issues.  

People will have opion action you do and action that people do to your coloney and  f for good while like couple days moral has been very low too.Which implemication in how much proggress in certain building or project will do. Like if major amount hate certain type research it going take lot longer time. If love it will then might help boost reserch progrese in colonys.  As know no matter how mess genes people do still emotion which determind how will they work on stuff.

This is a good idea, because:

- for has mindful what people feel for the certain things.
- less like C&C game or Warcraft

This is a bad idea, because:

- add more stuff coplicate stupid game
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 03:37:25 PM by omagaalpha »
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Sirbomber

Views Of Colonies
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 03:23:55 PM »
... Huh?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Views Of Colonies
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 03:27:20 PM »
im sorry its very hard to understand what exactly your idea is.

Offline omagaalpha

Views Of Colonies
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »
hope ful made my ide more clear to understand now. Sorry about that hehehe.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Views Of Colonies
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 04:12:05 PM »
In OP2 Morale Effects building time Vec construction time research time the time for workers to become scis and the rate at which children become workers.

Offline Tramis

Views Of Colonies
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 04:34:17 PM »
I think its more along the lines of what would affect morale, than what morale affects.

So like, your saying that depending on what colony you are, doing certain research and making certain buildings will raise or lower morale?

I dunno, it seems like that would be covered under the simple fact that certain colonies are capable of researching certain things, like Plymouth can't have their morale lowered by researching Eden technologies, because they can't research them in the first place.

Offline Skydock Command

Views Of Colonies
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 05:41:53 PM »
I dont realy understand your idea.
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline Chandler

Views Of Colonies
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 09:47:24 PM »
I think that the idea that the opinion of the colonists of your actions (what research your doing, what buildings your building, where your building, what your attacking, etc) affects their morale... ie:

If your building factories when you need residences, morale lowers. If your researching weapons instead of rec centres, morale lowers...

Personally - it's a good idea, but I don't like it: THIS AIN"T A DEMOCRACY - if I wan't factories instead of res's - too bad :P
It will make the game a bit TOO complicated...
Chandler

Offline omagaalpha

Views Of Colonies
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 06:36:57 PM »
actual more opion on actual issues effect efficienty of area whe people doing stuff that help you do what issues is about.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Views Of Colonies
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 08:47:56 PM »
What Chandler sounds like he's talking about is a guns-or-butter situation.

However, my guess is, something to do with research (ex you research a weapons system and some people like it, some people hate it).

Not sure how this would affect gameplay however.

Offline Chandler

Views Of Colonies
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 09:18:07 PM »
What Chandler sounds like he's talking about is a guns-or-butter situation.

However, my guess is, something to do with research (ex you research a weapons system and some people like it, some people hate it).

Not sure how this would affect gameplay however.
I think that's what I meant... I should have said that your people wanted Rec centres.... ie If the people want spaceport research, and you do Med Centre research, morale lowers, and vice versa.

actual more opion on actual issues effect efficienty of area whe people doing stuff that help you do what issues is about.
So like if the people are using a Consumer Goods Factory, and you upgrade your rec centres instead of it, morale lowers?

Sorry if I'm missing it completely...
Chandler

Offline omagaalpha

Views Of Colonies
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 06:02:44 AM »
cough how many time tell that morale not related to this idea at all

build sapceport but people are in disfavor of it then building process slow down. if launch pat that people don't want to built then those stuff take longer built and launch.

if in people opion in favor of residence beening built then take shorter time to be built
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 06:04:55 AM by omagaalpha »

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Views Of Colonies
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 10:28:44 AM »
Yea, now I understand.

Whenever people are involved in a process, this process will take longer when people don't like it and it will take shorter when people like it.

This may be useful when morale is low: people want buildings that increase morale, but normally the building process would be slow due to low morale. But since they want certain buildings, they are extra motivated and work faster.

Sounds good.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Views Of Colonies
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 02:21:56 PM »
Yeah, if you are to implement anything like this it should be limited to something like

Low morale = slow construction (or vice versa for certain buildings)
High morale = fast construction

Rather than just something like the colony wants a certain building i.e. everything but a Rec Center will have decreased construction time. (Unless it's something very obvious like residences demand is 500% or something).

The idea is cool and realistic but it has to be limited to what TH300 suggested, otherwise it seems the user isn't in control anymore. (Basically being dictated by an algorithm what building to build). And by no means should the low morale completely prevent construction of a building.

Also have to take into consideration combat; i.e. combat will always lower the morale but it is necessary for the user to be able to build combat-related units fast enough (to prevent an invasion or whatever).

Offline Skydock Command

Views Of Colonies
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 03:06:47 PM »
I dont like it.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Views Of Colonies
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 03:36:19 PM »
the construction of buildings (given that they are built by convecs same as op2) is entirely done by robots, so I really dont how morale would effect it

same with food being grown, it is done by robots, and the factorys, all the people have to do basicly is push a button

really the only part of the colony that requires real human work is reshurch, and that should be heavily weighed on morale
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline TRIX Rabbit

• http://androidar.deviantart.com/
Views Of Colonies
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 10:15:19 AM »
the construction of buildings (given that they are built by convecs same as op2) is entirely done by robots, so I really dont how morale would effect it

same with food being grown, it is done by robots, and the factorys, all the people have to do basicly is push a button

really the only part of the colony that requires real human work is reshurch, and that should be heavily weighed on morale
Yes, but some aspects may have to be covered by workers, such as maitenance to life support, inspecting vehicles, guiding construction of buildings and vehicles, as well as military strategy and security. A lot of things could be done well with robots, but even better if it uses human guidance and skill.  
I'm more commonly known as AndroidAR now:
My deviantArt

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Views Of Colonies
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 12:41:20 PM »
this is totally absurd. its also an incredible waste of effort for something totally assinine.

its like causing a decline in build speed because the day/night cycle turned to night and some colonists get scared in the dark enough to impact productivity.

i notice very little attention paid to things like gameplay mechanics or IMPROVEMENTS, heaven forbid. Tell us about what kinds of frame rates would be cool or idle animations. Going on and on about tacked-on concepts that are unintuitive to the user makes no sense. The manual for this thing would be huge, filled with appendices like "By the way, if nighttime happens to fall and you dont have a consumer factory to build nightlights, build speed is drastically reduced." or "FYI new player: if you build too many agridomes, colonists start using the extra space to traffic illegal booze and will cause a decline in morale and potentially incite a civil war."

I dont see how this "feature" would be any sort of useful addition. Its not apparent to the user that something like this would exist and unless there was some sort of popup or neon sign to notify the player, he wouldnt know why his build speed was shrinking.

Offline omagaalpha

Views Of Colonies
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 04:41:19 PM »
lol could go out tryimporve this idea like say it would like stupi idea of scare night that cause effects to coloney but seem to just not be good to yous guys so guees idea is down the tube.

Any care remeber newspaper type look of News in outpost 1 that inspired this idea :P

Offline Skydock Command

Views Of Colonies
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2006, 05:02:07 PM »
The Newspaper was kind of cool. But I allways wished it could have a more detailed report. Not a summary in one paragrah. I still dont like the moral effects thing.