Author Topic: Worker & Scientist Suicides  (Read 4865 times)

Offline mijikai

Worker & Scientist Suicides
« on: September 23, 2006, 08:28:10 AM »
At some point during my game, ALL of my workers and scientists die off!  All I'm left with are students and infants.  After this happens, my students never age enough to replace my workers, and eventually my colony dies off due to idle structures.
I have ample resources (food and smeltering stuffs), universities, etc...

I'm at a loss to explain why this happens, and as pointed out many many times, the manual for this game is lousy.  Anyone have suggestions how I can stop my workers from committing mass-suicide?

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 09:10:11 AM »
I'm at a loss to explain why this happens, and as pointed out many many times, the manual for this game is lousy.
The OP2manual owns. And I've never seen you before, let alone heard you "point out" anything.

Give me more details. Which map, how big your population was, etc.

You say you had enough food, but everyone always says that, and they usually didn't.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 10:20:04 AM »
was it a colony game? what was your morale?

if morale drops to 0 the mortality rate is very high, and if the university isnt staffed, no new workers or scientists are made
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 11:04:19 AM »
I'm at a loss to explain why this happens, and as pointed out many many times, the manual for this game is lousy.
The OP2manual owns.
This is not op2, it's op1.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 11:06:07 AM »
What's your point? Are you saying the OP2 manual doesn't own?

The point is stop playing Op1 because it sucks. Play OP2.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 12:09:32 PM »
still the issue of morale stands, but instead of dieing, I think they packed up and left for the rebel colony, the fact that they left their kids to die is just wrong though
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline mijikai

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 04:13:31 PM »
The OP2manual owns. And I've never seen you before, let alone heard you "point out" anything.

Give me more details. Which map, how big your population was, etc.

You say you had enough food, but everyone always says that, and they usually didn't.
Sorry... I didn't mean to say that I'd pointed out that the OP1 manual was lousy... the vast majority of comments I've read on the web say that.  And from trying to decipher the manual, I agree :)

In the most current game I've played, my population was around 140, turn #130, two agridomes (520 food in storage), morale was around 650.... and then I noticed my workers & scientists starting to die off.  I had 82 students, 42 infants, 11 workers and 0 scientists.  My single university was fully staffed & running.  By turn 160 I was down to just 82 students & 42 infants.  I've played maybe 5 other games this week and the same thing has happened each time... sometimes later in the game (turn 400?), sometimes earlier.

I guess it's hard to help me out unless you can see my game, but if you've any ideas for a new player, they'd be appreciated.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 04:32:03 PM »
You keep dying because Outpost 1 doesn't work properly.

Just learn Outpost 2. You'll be glad you did.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 04:46:33 PM »
you got the plague, it happens sometimes

Offline Tellaris

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 01:16:30 AM »
5 times in a row?   I've never tried OP1, but isn't that a bit frequent?    Maybe he needs some kind of sewage treatment, or waste management, or some kind of medical solution...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 01:17:12 AM by Baikon »
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline TRIX Rabbit

• http://androidar.deviantart.com/
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 09:54:58 PM »
maybe you had an outbreak of Dysentery, or maybe stupid worker syndrome
I'm more commonly known as AndroidAR now:
My deviantArt

Offline Fox3808221

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 11:38:45 PM »
Here, I'll try to give you more of a hand then other ppl.  This is coming from memory, I haven't played this game in a few years.

There are many reasons as to why this might happen.  From the sounds of it, I'd be looking into possible health care, fun, or ppl moving to the other colony for whatever reason.  Make sure that when you click on your next turn that your food supplies are increasing and that you have enough air for people.  If your skipping a lot of years, make sure that you have open your colony statistics window.  Also, if the age group of your people is extremely high, i.e. 60 years old, then you'd have a problem.  Also, usually it tells you how many people are dying in a window.

Whenever you make drastic construction make sure your colony statistics are open, especially during population booms.

As far as the manual is concerned, I haven't read anything that has to do with plagues and cures and I'm pretty sure that the computer says something when your colony has one.  I remember when I first started playing this game, I didn't know there was sub-levels; that you could build under the ground, lol.

Anyway, good luck.  If you need any more help, let me know.

Offline BinaryMan

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 04:47:27 AM »
If you are at the point where you can build robotic workers, and you have enough, they will continue to make the colony functional until the others grow up into workers (and you've solved whatever problem you had). This will take a long time though if it works (and sometimes it doesn't ever happen).