Author Topic: Cms  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Leviathan

Cms
« on: September 18, 2006, 04:11:46 AM »
Who has had experience with using content managment systems? What one it the best?

Mambo, Joomla and there are others im sure.

I want to be able to make a few sites using these and make a custom skin for them then let other people admin them. Needs a menu so each page is linked to each other, should be able to add pages, post news etc.

And where can i get free templates, id rather not want to create my own as im not that experienced with it. There are a few free ones on the mambo site. Maybe some cms have more free templates than others?

Thx

Offline Sl0vi

Cms
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 10:57:48 AM »
Haven't tried any of them, but I know Mambo has some serious security issues, alot of webpages made with mambo have been hacked recently.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Cms
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 06:25:07 PM »
I have very extensive experience with mambo and joomla. I spent a few weeks downloading templates. Ive been a part of the Joomla community since it began and the Mambo community since the early days (Joomla is a fork of Mambo which formed when the Mambo dev team quit in protest to form their own CMS) and alot of the addons/templates/etc used to be totally free. But the new path of Mambo toward $$$ and business solutions has likewise steered the Joomla community in a similar direction. Now most modules and templates are only available for a fee and most of the information on working with both CMS's require you to register with a site and pay monthly fees. I have amassed a huge repository of Mambo/Joomla templates, modules, addons and scripts. If youre interested I would be happy to help you set something up.

As for the security issues, I would not go with Mambo. Mambo is now geared toward corporate/small business solutions and is really designed to have a dedicated support person/team keeping an eye on it. Joomla however, stuck to the developer's concept of a CMS for many applications. The unfortunate side effect of Joomla/Mambo's ease of use is that many people ignore the advanced settings to make their backend secure. There is a hardened Joomla distrobution that is much more difficult to hack, but security is all based on how much work you want to put into it. Hardened PHP can be difficult to deploy, but there are several settings which, when enabled, make the CMS considerably more secure. These settings are turned off by default to lessen compatability issues when installing on the server. Most people simply dont know or forget to activate these settings. The security flaws with Joomla/Mambo are flaws that are in all CMS's and PHP which are amplified by ignorance of the user. Learning the software is key to keeping it secure.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 06:34:47 PM by dm-horus »

Offline Leviathan

Cms
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 03:29:15 AM »
Sounds good. I'd love some help :)

And I sure don't wanna pay for anything!

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Cms
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 02:06:48 PM »
I have experience with Sitellite (which is what the OPU website uses).

I wouldn't specifically call it a "content management system" but it is more of a generic 'content server'. It can be used as a CMS to manage webpages. (Its main advantage is how easy it is to extend through code).

Other CMS type systems I tried out when searching for a system for the website were ezPublish and Typo3. Both I would strongly NOT recommend.

ezPublish - very slow. It's very heavy on CPU and memory when a page is modified and the 'cache' has to be regenerated (If anything about the visual appearance of the page changes, the cache for the page must be flushed and it must be regenerated which takes a very long time). (When I tried it while we were still hosted at DreamHost, it was using about 85% CPU when a page was loaded. Not a good thing for a shared hosting server). It can also use 100+ MB of ram.

Typo3 is bad as well. It was 'normal' in terms of a PHP based program as for CPU and memory usage, but it had one of the more complex installation procedures I've seen for any sort of PHP based software. Once I figured out the installation, I went to the admin panel. The admin panel has to be one of the most complicated pieces of software I have ever seen -- I couldn't figure out how to do something as simple as creating a basic page with no content.

Personally, I haven't used Mambo or Joomla, so I can't rate those.

Also, have you considered using a wiki engine? You could design a skin so that it hides the editing commands until you log in. Not as good as a CMS but probably better than just flat HTML pages.

Offline Leviathan

Cms
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 03:31:17 AM »
Im hopeing to redesign a few websites that are very old and crap and then once they are on the new system the admins for the sites can admin the sites with the new system much easyer than they do now.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Cms
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 04:36:51 PM »
Joomla is very easy to work with once installed. There are many modules I can recommend.