Author Topic: Opu Irc  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Leviathan

Opu Irc
« on: August 21, 2006, 06:47:49 PM »
What would you want from a dedicated Outpost Universe IRC client?

features, suggetions?

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Opu Irc
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 06:56:24 PM »
when somone is in a game they can do something like check a box and it would show on their name that they are ingame
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Sl0vi

Opu Irc
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 07:01:16 PM »
it should have some features that work with OP2, like starting the game from the client, and it placing you in the multiplayer menu. Sort of like the OPU tool does.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Opu Irc
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 07:59:04 PM »
Why do we need our own client?

Offline Chandler

Opu Irc
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 09:15:37 PM »
I don't think this is about needing one, just something we can do to make playing OP2 through IRC easier, yes? :D  
Chandler

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Opu Irc
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 09:33:20 PM »
if your playing in op2 why you need to worry about irc till after the game

Offline Leviathan

Opu Irc
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 06:11:47 AM »
i want usefull comments unlike freeza's ty :)

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Opu Irc
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 06:43:14 AM »
i want usefull comments unlike freeza's ty :)
Uhh.. I'd consider any comment useful. Saying that something might not be needed is just as good a comment as any other. I could easily go and blast this whole topic saying "I want useful topics unlike this one" but I'll refrain from that.

Really, what justifies the need for it right now? IRC clients out there work well enough already and we can always add features to make them do things like start the game for you, etc.

Remember those 'fake' WON DLLs I showed you before?

(Note to everyone reading this: A few months ago I worked out how the SIGS/WON DLLs worked by looking at the header files for older versions of the DLLs with Homeworld. From that, I was able to write replacement DLLs as well as an mIRC script. Thus, when certain commands were typed to a bot on IRC, it would send messages to each client who 'added' themselves to the game, basically an extension to the Pickup System. The script would receive the messages and invoke the DLL, starting the game up and dropping you right at the Game Settings menu with the other players who had joined {in theory. It really didn't work as well as I would have liked, but the bugs could probably be worked out of it})

The bottom line is, we would probably be better going the route of adding features like that to existing IRC clients. Any IRC client that we would write from scratch just wouldn't even come close to existing IRC clients in terms of what they can do. (As an example look at how much mIRC can do with NNS.. not only can it be used for just chatting but it can do other stuff like play MP3s and such. And look at the theming / skinning). Also, if we wrote our own it could just open up a whole new can of headaches because we have to be fixing bugs and releasing new client versions.

And finally, in the case of something that's supposed to be a tie in to the game / "WON replacement" as everyone likes to call it, it still wouldn't fix anyone's NAT woes. They'd still have to forward ports in order to play. In that regard it might make it more complex in that it's yet another 'layer' that could cause problems creating or joining a game.

Offline Leviathan

Opu Irc
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 09:04:32 AM »
Its not sposed to be as good as any other irc clients its just sposed to be a dedicated to opu stuff etc. People can still use other clients if they want.

what i meant was i wanted suggestions etc, i dont need to be told that a new irc client is not necessary.