Author Topic: New Weapons  (Read 34365 times)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Weapons
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 03:24:52 PM »
i like how people dont listen to me.

Shot gun style shells wouldnt work because the spent shell has to be ejected.  If there was a shell that would basicly go away some how after fireing it then a shotgun style shell would work.  At best your looking at Solid projectiles Lead Tungsten Depleated Uranium Sabot rounds.  Or your Explosive rounds like RPG or some thing like a artillery shell.  But at the rate this thing can fire it would devastate any thing in its path.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 03:30:19 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Weapons
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006, 03:44:23 AM »
Now i have heard nothing but the god damn PIPE ORGAN this and PIPE ORGAN that.  What about the other weapons.

Offline Sirbomber

New Weapons
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006, 08:04:59 AM »
How about a cutting laser thing with not a lot of damage but 0 cooldown?
Or did you mean talk about YOUR weapons? In which case I can delete this or something.

I don't think there should be chainguns or shotguns. This isn't Doom, people.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 08:08:45 AM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
New Weapons
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2006, 10:37:45 AM »
I just thought of this laste nite right before I fell asleep (you know when things get all oggaly and your thoughts start acting weird)

biological warfare, basicly it would be a lessor form of blight that would be in the form of a suicide chassis, when it detonates it would releace it roughly the area of a supernova, but if the vec is destroyed the microbe is only releaced in the area of a starflare

why does that matter? I'll get to that, the microbe does not behave like the normal blight we've all been eaten by, for one it would only effect vecs, as it is not strong enough to go against buildings, second, it dosnt continusly expand, after its initional releace any other vecs that come in contact with it will get infected, this infection will disable the drive system and slowly take away hitpoints untill the unit dies, whenin the microbe will spread to another supernova sized area around the newly destroyed vec,

this can be prevented if the infected vecs controller is quick enough to self destruct it, the internal explosion will be enough to destroy the microbe, but normal weapons fire would not

third, the microbe is not permenent, after a set time where it has not come into contact with a vec the microbe will die and the ground would become normal again

also, if you feel like it, there may be a side effect of reshurching this tech, the adv lab may release a version of this microbe, or it may let out the full blown blight, just to keep people on their toes lol

let the shutting down begin!!!
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Weapons
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2006, 01:47:22 PM »
A cutting laser doesnt sound like it would have the range and if revamped for range i dont think it would do much damage or it would be just like the eden laser.

Bio warefare i dont know about that one beta i dont think the colonies would want to risk that.  People make barracades with the this weapons so people couldnt attack.  Or they would rush this weapon just to use it as fast as possible on the nearest son of a b****.

Offline Tramis

New Weapons
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2006, 01:10:25 AM »
I like the Big Magnum though...maybe it could be like a sniper of some sort

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Weapons
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2006, 01:26:02 AM »
That was the idea with Big Magnum a Line of site weapon with Extreem range.  Basicly it would be a one shot one kill on a lynx and its reload would be slow do to the size of the bullet it would fire.  The gun itself has a Enhanced camera scope.

Offline Shadowcrystal_SG_CMD

New Weapons
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2006, 04:19:01 AM »
I honestly think that artillary should be implemented into Op3, cause it helps with defense and it is a nice barage of fire before attacking, making the artillary hurt even ur own units will balance out ppl trying to spam the damn thing.

My Outpost 2 Worker :D

Death is but a door,
Time is a window,
Ill be back,
One way or the other...

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
New Weapons
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2006, 08:12:28 PM »
Just do tests on them, and if they are too powerful, take away their ability to auto-attack.  Have the research say something along the lines of "the friend-foe sensors seem to malfunction on this weapon" and have it manual attack computers.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
New Weapons
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2006, 09:25:58 PM »
well for real life artilary they need an advance spotter so mabe you could have it so they can only shoot at something within range of, say a scout (with upgrades scouts may have some sort of sensor jamming system, so other units wont shoot it unless it gets too close)

that way you could say that the scout is feeding targeting data to the artilery, and it cant be used to bombard a base because even with jamming there is no way the person would not notise a scout driving around in their base (and if they didnt thats their own fault and they deserve to have 500 bound shells to rain on their cc lol)
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Weapons
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2006, 10:57:18 PM »

how about some thing like that

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
New Weapons
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2006, 07:03:09 AM »
Arklon: deleted your post.. posting only to comment about 'excess blue space' doesn't add anything to the discussion..
---

Yeah, spotters would be useful to limit the amount of force they could put out with these things.

Another idea would be Radar trucks. For example some of the earlier SAM missiles that the Soviets used didn't have built in guidance systems. They relied on a radar truck that was away from the launcher itself, which provided targeting information. If the radar truck was destroyed the missile launcher would effectively be rendered useless until a new radar truck could be used.

Furthermore the SAM sites themselves were pretty hard to move around (the radar trucks could be moved but they had to be close enough to the SAM site to provide targetting). Perhaps make it something that can only be moved once before deployment, perhaps a vehicle like the Robo Miner.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SA-3_Goa for pictures of the SA-3 launcher, scroll near the bottom to see the radar trucks.

Basically I'm reminded of how the Meteor Defense needs to have an Observatory otherwise it's useless really.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Weapons
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2006, 02:19:42 PM »
SAM Surface to Air Missile

Would be good for Air units.  But a SSM would be better.  How ever a SSM was used in C&C

Offline Tramis

New Weapons
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2006, 09:39:44 PM »
SSMs and SAMs sucked in C&C, and I remember at one point it was said that there would be only 1 air unit - unless this has changed.  If this air unit is noncombat, which would make the most sense given their turret technology, then there is no need for a SAM.

I like the radar trucks/artillery idea as well as the scouts as spotters idea.  The question is, what kind of artillery could be used so as to make it more OP2ish and less C&Cish.  I propose a sort of long-range laser beam which cannot be used except if it has both a Scout spotter and a so-called "Radar Truck".  It would require LOS, and would be so large it would only be used on a Tiger, and as a single turret, not to mention it would be extremely expensive.  However, when both the spotter and the radar truck are in place, it has pinpoint accuracy and can destroy many vehicles in a single hit - really only a Tiger or a fully-upgraded Panther would be able to take more than one or two.  However, again, it would be very expensive and have an incredibly low ROF.  This would be a sniper unit

This Radar Truck could be as simple as a new kind of noncombat turret that would be nothing more than extensive targeting equipment relays.  This could be mounted on existing combat vehicles, and in addition to enabling the use of the "Long Range Laser of Doom", it might increase accuracy for nearby units.  It would need a Scout as a spotter for the LRLoD, because the target is outside the Radar Truck's range.

Proposed Names for the LRLoD:
Turbolaser
Overbeam

Proposed Names for the Radar Truck:
Sensor Array
Targeting Relay

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Weapons
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2006, 12:10:26 AM »
Lasers are line of sight unless its so powerful it can blast though the damn ground.  How about a Radar Tower like a light tower on a radar and doesnt emit light.  This would make a moving artillery immpossible with out building more radar posts.

I would think a laser used for targeting would be called a targeting laser.

As for styles of Artillery.  I know some people are like praying there is THORS HAMMER OWNAGE SHELLS.  Shells would be Explosive contact and Explosive Air.  The shells wouldnt be landing every where and lasers firing all over the place be a little practical people.  The shell is small your not going to fit any kind of equipment in it other then explosive or other simple ordenance like Sticky foam Explosive (pretty much a small star flare explosion) Acid cloud and ESG.

Why does this have to fit on a Tiger we arent limited to the 3 chassis.  My Puma Artillery is a extended version of my Rail Tiger.  The shells are bigger and would have a great spreading effect for the esg and acid.

I thought about a EMP Shell and it would basicly come down to it being used like the EMP missile for some people.  Which is to much.  

Offline gamerscd0

New Weapons
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2006, 05:13:48 AM »
humm i decided i would post and let all of u know that the op3 dev team is looking at these posts so keep up the posting :) :)  :op2:  

Offline croxis

• http://croxis.net
New Weapons
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2006, 07:51:27 PM »
Another idea that could supplement the radar unit is that it improves accuracy (assuming its a mechanic) and/or reduces the area damage effect on friendly units form things like thor or acid cloud.
David - Proud to be saving the universe sense 1984
Open Outpost developer.  Project Page | Forum Thread

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Weapons
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2006, 09:41:25 PM »
Well basicly that is how they would fire at ther targets anyway with a Dopper style range finder or a laser range finder and possibly a visual system.  Its not like there just guessing lol.   This thing about accuracy seems to only be needed in FPS style games.  only Thing that op3 needs is a percentage of misfires.

Offline croxis

New Weapons
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2006, 10:59:56 PM »
Isn't misfire the same thing as accuracy?

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Weapons
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2006, 11:28:36 PM »
80% true hit with a 20% misfire for like a thors hammer. very simple.  You could say that is 80% accurate fire.  Making things hit more i think would be very bad and saying accuracy makes it sound like a sniper rifle with a scope.  Because nothing is 100% accurate and nothing should be.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
New Weapons
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2006, 11:39:59 PM »
I like a combat system like with eve, where turrets have a tracking speed and a targeting resolution

so basicly if a unit is moveing sideways accross a vec the turret would have to turn to compensate, the further out the less the turret would have to turn, but the smaller the target radius, but if the vec is close the radius is big, but it has a high transversal velocity so some turrets may not be able to keep up

meaning each turret would have its own "goldelocks zone" where the vec is close enough that it can hit with near perfect accuracy, and also fasr enough away that it can track it

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Weapons
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2006, 12:32:06 AM »
Weapons like Microwave and Laser are instant touch there wouldnt be any compensation of leading of the target.  Weapons that would have lag time to them like the ESG EMP RPG and STICKY would have to lead because they all seem to be rocket propelled.  The Thors Hammer would most likely be instant hit it wouldnt need any either.  How ever i think that add to much realism

Offline croxis

New Weapons
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2006, 01:14:00 PM »
Realism in and of itself is not bad -- realism that damages gameplay is.

Also when I think of misfires I think of a car engine =Þ  Accuracy would probably be the more accurate (yuck yuck) term.

As much as I love Eve (ISS FTW!) there is a risk that it would be overkill if all of the weapon elements (accuracy fall off, etc) were included.  In Eve you only have to worry about your avatar so these more complicated elements are more manageable, but controlling a bunch of units would make things a bit too complicated for the player.

Freeze is right in that energy weapons would be instant while projectiles would have a speed.  Regardless, if a bad guy unit can go around faster than your turrets can spin they wouldn't be able to lock on an fire, regardless of being energy or projectile.

I think we all agree there needs to be accuracy/misfire and that it should eb kept simple, but I think some things can influence it a bit to make combat mor fun and tactical.  The smaller the absolute size of the unit, the harder it is to hit, and just be kept at that.

Offline Tramis

New Weapons
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2006, 06:28:05 PM »
I think that regardless of what other games do, if a weapon takes a while to take careful aim on a stationary target, it should hit 100% of the time.  There should be an option to have the unit take 1-2 seconds, which would then increase its accuracy.  This could be explained as it "reprocessing targeting data" or something.

Offline Skydock Command

New Weapons
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2006, 09:52:09 AM »
The pipe organ would compleatly take over the game. Imagine, some guy make 50 pipe organ tigers and storms a base. About 20seconds later the base is dust.
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.