Author Topic: Dunno Real Clearly What I'm Suggesting  (Read 15872 times)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Dunno Real Clearly What I'm Suggesting
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 03:40:47 PM »
No off world mining no attack sats of any kind this game should stick to the surface of the planet. Not orbit moon or asteroids.  Other then launching sat and missiles RVL and such but other then that nothing else.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 01:06:36 PM »
It's not possible to make a sat that does the destruction you're talking about (leveling a 16 grid section, blasting hillsides) and not have it destructive to buildings. Yes, you could put code in the game so that a player couldn't target a building, but if the weapon exists, someone (I'm talking about an ingame character) would use it that way.

A "spy" type sat doesn't seem like such a bad idea. It just needs some a place.
--Perhaps it could give a wider range detection of incomming units that have their lights off.
--Or possibly give you knowledge of how much ore, etc your opponent has.
--In single player games, it could also give you advanced warning of incomming units that are currently "off map" and will enter from some edge.
--Remove some or all of the fog of war (if it exists in OP3), or have it selective scan (like SC, or real life for that matter).

None of which should be game unbalancing, but could provide you with some extra info with which to defend yourself or send in your final attack wave.

If we're taking votes:
-I'm not in favor of orbital weapons either (for this game). Additional informative sats would be useful... But EMP, lasers, mass drivers, hunter-killer sats aren't in the style. It's a game of survival, not "destroy thy neighbor". Otherwise, it would be much easier to mount a super nova or a nuke on top of a rocket (which the colonists never did).
-I think off world mining was discussed and left out as an idea in favor of focusing on surface efforts. (both "in game" and from a programming standpoint)

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 08:50:30 AM »
Ok.
Yet another thought I had recently was about a sat. tthat would be able to increase the number of vehicles built by enhancing the system capabilities of the robot command center which would take some strain off the savant computers opening up more memmory for new vehicles.

Also a sat. capable of detecting other sat.s in orbit and possibly hack into their communications would seem benificial. This would allow you to see the other players colony statistics and the progress of their space program. It would be limited to this due to other links being secure therefor untappable.

And one more sat. would be one that projects a laser just powerful enough to reveal dark spots on a map. Like a moble light tower only you can't shoot it.

Another sat. could use a ultra sensitive matter density scanner to target mines and determine where the most valuable ores are thus improving their ore yield.
Fire at will!

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2007, 08:35:36 AM »
Today I've had a thought about 2 space stations, A research station that would require 24 personel. 4 workers and 2 scientists for C&C anlong with 18 for research operations. Also due to the advanced systems on this station you would get extra early warning of meteors, vortexes, and electrical storms. The  second knid of station (a factory and drop station) would require 12 personel. 4 workers and 2 scientists for C&C along with 4 for constructing vehicles and 2 scientists to work the drop system which would deploy a pod capable of holding up to 4 tigers which would be controlled by a parachute and 4 decleration thrusters. The station could contain up to 8 vehicles. This pod could be dropped on any terrain that is flat by 6 by 6 squares. The pod would also self destruct after a few minutes. These pods would cost as much as 3 SULV's.
Fire at will!

Offline White Claw

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2007, 10:21:27 AM »
Some good ideas for sats. Keep them stashed somewhere so when the idea for sats comes up again, you'll have them. I kinda like the "laser light" sat as Russia actually designed something like that. (It was actually just a solar reflector.)

However, I think the consensus right now is that we're avoiding weapons in space. I do like the idea of your "matter density scanner" sat. Perhaps it could be an improvement on ore yield or maybe we could introduce "deep mining operations" with it. Find 4-bar mines. (We should just create a new thread for satellites.)

As for the space station, something similar was suggested before. I think the idea right now is that exploitation of space will only extend to satellites and (if required) construction of a new Space Ship. I think the focus right now is simply getting the surface portion sorted out. That may change though, so like I said before, keep up the ideas. (Perhaps we could forward deploy units with the SULV. But that might get out of hand too. Having a bunch of units show up inside your base would be infuriating if you couldn't do anything about it.)

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 12:00:11 PM »
Hey what about the meteor defense system... It'd fry the drop pod! MMM Nothing like toasted lynx sauseges. And for plymouth you could make it so that they stole the meteor defense plans and linked it with a skydock!
Fire at will!

Offline Tramis

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 02:20:43 AM »
...Doubtful.

I think I may have thought of something to fix the "spaceport bays always empty" problem - and once I thought of this, i thought, "how could Dynamix have missed it?"

What the hell is a space rocket launch, without a countdown!?

You fire off the rocket, and it immediately launches.  No pausing to calibrate the flight, which is always needed, no planning for navigation, no preparatory measures, no testing, nothing.  Just build it and shoot it.  Since frickin' when!?  That's never how space flights have launched.  They're never going to launch like that.  Even with all that preparation, the vast majority of launches early in the space program ran in to problems, almost always resulting in the ship blowing up, sometimes before it even leaves the ground.  At least a few hours is required to get the ship prepped for launch.  Obviously a few hours is too long to spend in game, but, I think a timer should be set - you can't launch it fewer than X seconds after it's built.  30, 45, maybe 60 second timer.  So, you click launch and the standard 10, 9, 8, 7 etc countdown starts.  Maybe make it so you can build rockets during the launch countdown.

So like, you build a rocket, the countdown starts at 45 seconds.  then you build another one.  15-20 seconds later you have another rocket.  You load up the first one, and when the 45 seconds is up, you launch it.  Then another 45 second timer starts for the next rocket launch.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 04:09:43 AM »
you forget they have savants

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 08:15:49 AM »
I agree with Freeza-CII on this one.
Fire at will!

Offline Mez

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2007, 11:10:18 AM »
You also forget that the rocket would be calibrated automatically during the build of it. and that op2 is not real time.

Nor is this the first time the human race launched a rocket, they are practiced at it, they build starships etc.

Offline TRIX Rabbit

• http://androidar.deviantart.com/
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2007, 06:25:18 PM »
I saw something in popular mechanics a year or so ago, desribing weapons of the possible near future. One of them caught my eye: Kinetic Energy Orbital Weapons AKA  
 "Rods From God". The system itself is composed of 2 satellites: The first is the targeting system, and the other is a satillite that contains 6 or so meter long missles with non explosive, Solid Tungsten nose-cones/payloads. When a target was chosen, the targeting system determined the the angle, etc. This is relayed to the Missile Case, which then waits until it is nearly over the target, and fires one missile. The missile has only enough fuel to get into the atmosphere, and make minute adjustments. Then the force of gravity takes over, and through gravity, it accelerates to frightening speeds, and (more or less) vaporizes the target without explosives. After the missiles run out, a refill is sent up. The damage in the game however, could be that of like a med-large meteor.
Pros:
- Destructive (Tip: tone down the destruction)
- No real splash zone (precise)
- Cheap to maintain
Cons:
- Destructive
- Accuracy not guaranteed
- Satellite must wait until it is nearly over the target (Tip: buy 2)

On the other hand, I'd love to make a space station, module by module (not a starship construction thing) and have a whole bunch of random satelittes and crap if you have leftover resources and your bored. (Example: a payload called space junk, that will eventually burn up, and possibly hit your opponent.)
I'm more commonly known as AndroidAR now:
My deviantArt

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 05:56:05 AM »
I am tired of this i dont know how many damn times its been said by a few people but there should be no space based weapons. no laser beams rockets missiles rails projectiles forms of destructive radiation or electro magnetics.

Using the the sats to destroy or deviate meteors is very impracticle.

I dont see space stations of any kind that would involve people flying back and forth or a convoy of ore transporters the management and logistics would be a nightmare.  Space based savants really doesnt make much sence because there is plenty of room on the ground.

Spy sats Advandced edwards or research to increase the edwards abilities thats good stuff.

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 08:32:06 AM »
Sat.s that can fire at the planet is a poor idea I agree.

However spacestations are a good idea since it allows you to build more structures in it's place I mean what if you're in a canyon or an area full of boulders?
Another advantage is that you don't have to worry about it going Kabooie right in the middle of your base during a quake.

Plus you have to replace the crew occasionally, this would be realistic.
Fire at will!

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2007, 04:35:35 PM »
The reason combat seems tacked on to op2 is because it is. The colonies were dedicated to simply surviving, not killing eachother. They adapted their benign technology into combat and are dealing with highly jury-rigged equipment that they arent used to using against other people. They wouldnt go from utopian society to war-hardened apocalyptic superpower that quickly. So no combat sats. If you remember from the story and the campaign, they developed space travel tech while on the move and if you look at the campaign was only created mere months before they evacuated the planet. Considering this, they havent had long enough to even come up with laser sats and kinetic missiles and etc.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2007, 04:49:38 PM »
Space stations would take tremendous resources.  You would be better off building another colony.

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2007, 10:00:55 AM »
But space stations do have good properties. If added they would.
A. Save space.
B. Add realism.
C. Provide something to put resources into.
D. Provides space Lab or space Factory to player.
E. Self sufficent power units = less power drain.
F. Space Lab could provide extra early warning, 5% margin of error.
G. Space Factory could provide strategic and tactical support drops.
H. Provides constant use for space ports.
I. Could add more to technology tree in order to build.

Could be added to skydock if you would like and if accepted into the game at all.

We could make it even more realistic byadding solar flares which would destroy all orbiting improvements except shielded devices. Ex. Starship and skydock.

Also you would have to replace the crew when so many have died other wise it would go idle. You would get the surviving crew back. But this is all only a suggestion.

Drops can be limited to a certain distance away from an enemy command center because of the fact the command center could interfere with the drop vessels navigation system, thus crashing it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 10:03:46 AM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2007, 02:51:29 PM »
a Space station cant be destroyed from the ground since we all dont want those kinda weapons.

There is a entire map to build on.  If its a small map it would be better suited for a rush to end the game before expanding became a problem.

Adding realism isnt all the great most of the time.

Most of the time your going to be needing those resources for units.

Factory in space doenst make sence when you can have the factory on the ground and have the units right there when you need them. A lab in space isnt good because no one can stop your research to get a upper hand on you.

It would have to have its own power solar or cool fusion.

The Edward sat already gives advanced warnings.

The space port is there to escape from the plant and certain game types like Space race.  Also launching EMP missiles.  Solar sats.

Since no one wanted the Seeker/Killer sats and space weapons there wouldnt be a point.  Besides this is survival on the planet not space.  REALISM is they wouldnt burn there resources for such a structure in space that would take constant mantainance and personel.  Not to mention if some hit that damn thing with a emp missile it would fall to its firey death and possibly land on a colony in bit and chunks.

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2007, 07:25:44 AM »
You may not be able to destroy the space station but you can destroy the spaceport and this would cause you to be unable to rotate the crew thus everyone in the station would eventually die rendering it idle. The early warning is even earlier than the edward. Also vehicle drops allow for tactical engadgements like the airborn division. If added.
Fire at will!

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2007, 12:43:28 PM »
Producing units in a space satation doesn't give you an advantage - rather it gives you a disadvantage. Think about what is needed to produce a vec and how this "what is needed" comes to the space station. The total amount of resources needed is much higher than that needed if you stay on a planet's surface.

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2007, 08:35:17 AM »
You could use scaled down versions of the metals modules that were used in the starship. Let's say maybe 5000 ore?
Fire at will!

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2007, 03:34:06 AM »
You could use scaled down versions of the metals modules that were used in the starship. Let's say maybe 5000 ore?
Can you please clarify? I don't see how scaled down versions of anything could make anything more useful.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2007, 11:03:34 AM »
My opinion: I like the idea of space based stuff. But it doesn't seem to fit well with this game. Most gamers don't like the idea of having to support a massive space structure (but that's not strictly a good reason against it). In OP, the point of the ground based colony is for the last of humanity to survive, not to support a space station. The only reason a space program exists in OP2 is because the colonists HAD to leave New Terra. And that program was the barest essentials to create a starship.

Previous thread: Agri-station (about space based super-structures).

« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 11:08:56 AM by White Claw »

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
I just thought that it could be there as an option. After all I had colonies that had like 1250 colonists and 400 of them had nothing to do. After all this is a game that takes a long time to complete unless you plan on defeating your enemies with spit balls.
Fire at will!

Offline White Claw

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2007, 07:38:37 PM »
Yeah, the game isn't well designed for huge colonies. You do end up with tons of people sitting around with nothing to do. After all, you only need so many structure factories, smelters, and vech factories (which eat up most of your people). I'm not sure if that's a good reason to make a space station though.

Offline Norsehound

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2007, 11:55:29 AM »
One possible satellite idea is a hunter-killer sattelite.

Say you build the thing, put it in a SULV, then launch it. On a good day, you hit an enemy satellites and bring it down.

The satellites and weather or not you hit it is determined by random chance, and the kill vehicle is quite expensive and far up the tech tree.

Of course there would be means to improve the kill-ratio of the kill vehicles, but it would only be a fractional increase over the base ability.

What's better is that whenever you hear "EMP missile launch", you can send your kill vehicle up to destroy it if ever your Observatory looses it's scientists at the worst possible time.
Food supply in Surplus. Power levels Optimal. Morale is Good.