Author Topic: Combat Mechanics  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Tramis

Combat Mechanics
« on: August 03, 2006, 01:52:34 PM »
I suggest a few new additions to the way combat is fought, to end the "more units = win" problem in OP2.  Changes might include:

-Usage of cover to lower accuracy against that unit
-Faster, moving units being a lot harder to hit
-Being able to hide a lot better than just turning off your lights (camouflage, hiding in caves - Another potential use for scouts here, finding hidden units)
-Smaller units = harder to hit (thus giving Lynx a fighting chance against Tigers)
-A new, superlight chassis which is basically a Scout with a gun on it (no armor, low HP, very fast - which makes it harder to hit)
-Higher ground = longer range
-Tigers being able to run over smaller units like Scouts and civie vechs if the player is dumb enough to not move them in time
-(probably not going to work) a chassis similar to the Tiger except instead of a double turret, it has one turret in front with a 360 degree range and a smaller turret in back that can only fire in the rear arc, only certain weapon combos would be allowed, IE double laser, EMP/starflare, railgun/laser
-Moving faster over certain types of terrain = more dangerous (chance of vehicle getting stuck and damaged - seems to me that the Panther would be the most stable vehicle for this type of thing)

Go ahead and flame away. ;)  

Offline Skydock Command

Combat Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 03:21:49 PM »
I agree with this idea to make it more realistic. I hated the fact in outpost 2 just because a player had more units means you dont have a chance to defend your self. I vote YES TO REALISIM!
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline lordly_dragon

Combat Mechanics
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 08:34:25 AM »
We could do a hull down mode.

see this picture (too big to be put here)

the good point about this is that you are A) harder to hit B) most likely will take less damage

the bad thing is: set a X variable to indicate the chance of weapon beeing blown away. Since you can't deadly arm the unit while it is hull down. they could lost the use of their turret. To get them back they go to a garage.

Note: they still take damage but no hit will be lethal.

Higher ground would equall more range in a 3d enviroment. but the problem with higher ground is to fire you basicly have to expose your self to the people downbelow making them able to hit you all the much easier.

I wouldn't say so. Long ago we used to throw spear at each other. Gravity helped those above but killed those bellow. Furthermore, what is bellow can't hit what is directly above him (example a tank) and no loosy tactician would make his drive train beeing showed from bellow enyway. We could do like starcraft. You don't see what lies in the higher ground (even if you are in range to see it) you only see when you are attacked and can only fire at what you see.  Furthermore the attacker on the bottom got a chance of missing his target (off course esg would hit...)

Camo and hiding with terrain sounds great just as long as were arent talking about a damn cloaking device. Its been done and over used star trek is dead lol.

Damn right.

I wonder if we could add a direct indirect aiming type of weapon would work (indirect= guided missile direct= any ballistic weapon. By the way, the hull down idea came from hiding with terran...But since you can't do it everywhere I sugest you just add a ''mechanical way'' to do it let's say on soft ground (not on lava rock for example).

Those are my idea at the moment
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 08:37:58 AM by lordly_dragon »

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Combat Mechanics
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 11:49:31 AM »
i dont know about all that

and that wiki link dont work

Offline lordly_dragon

Combat Mechanics
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 12:50:09 PM »
just search on wiki hull down and seek for the picture where it is explained clearly =)  

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Combat Mechanics
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 03:12:32 PM »
Hull down: That is a tactic.  A tank with out a turret might as well be dead and if a tank is hit in the turret it will still kill every one in side.  I know there are no people inside the op2/3 tanks but there are componets and some turrets have explosive ordinance in them.

when dealing with these weapons the energy weapons are only going to go so far and that is it high ground just gives them a cleaner shot on the target.  weapons like the ESG acid and RPG that have a ballistic trajectory would be effected by higher ground.  the rail gun isnt a energy but its a line of sight weapon so it has the same effects of a energy.  

Tigers being able to run over other vecs is dumb because of the way the tiger looks and sets low to the ground its only going to push things out of the way not go over them like a monster truck.  Plus the fact that the vecs are smart enough to get out of the way when a vec wants through like they do in op2.

Caves and Camo i like that just as long as there is still a player color I know that defeats the purpose but you have to know who is attacking.  Caves could have a couple lynx or a tiger in them and just rush out and try to smite all that are in range.  

The whole thing about the vecs and there speed and accuracy has been discussed in another thread.

scouts with gun no not good.

This whole getting stuck thing is pointless that is to realistic this is a game meaning not ment to be real life.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 03:13:35 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Skydock Command

Combat Mechanics
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 04:37:12 AM »
You said everything Freeza. I would like to add though, why cant we have the units target a certain component of the vheical? We could target the turret, computer, power reactor, or engine.
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.