Author Topic: Double Barrel Gp  (Read 11527 times)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Double Barrel Gp
« on: August 01, 2006, 04:39:52 AM »
Now i looked but i couldnt find any one talking about slapping a Tiger turret on a GP platform.  And I know people have thought about it.  

So here it is Why the hell dont we have a double barrel GP it would use more power and  make the base defence a little easier with out using tigers.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 12:13:46 PM »
why not a tri-turret for that matter?  a GP platform has to be able to handle more than a tiger chasis
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 04:59:48 PM »
I smell that Lion SUPER HEAVY MONDO CHASSIS again.  I think 2 barrels is enough.

Offline croxis

• http://croxis.net
Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 05:42:14 PM »
One idea to balance is have a turret speed, the bigger the turret the slow it turns so light fast units, if the transversal is high enough, wont get hit.
David - Proud to be saving the universe sense 1984
Open Outpost developer.  Project Page | Forum Thread

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 07:10:04 PM »
could we expand that as well, having different classes of weaponds? like for a rail gun, a lynx would carry the lightest version of the rail gun, it would do less damage, but would be more accurate and be able to swivel very fast, a panther's would be slower and a bit less accurate, but more powerful, and a tiger would have a big slow (it is twice as big anyway) turret that would inflict massive dmg

that way even though the tigers are still the main groundpounders, lynx and panthers could have the advantage of accuracy

thats another thing, i think accuracy should be come more of an issue in op3, in op2 basicly every shot was a guarenteed hit with a very small chance to hit, add in more accuracy discrepancys to add a new level of luck into a battle, and of corse open up a whole new level of possible upgrades
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline croxis

Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 09:14:29 PM »
Accuracy and/or turrent speed would very much add a new level of tactical gameplay and, if added, would be things undergoing a lot of play balance :)  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 09:22:18 PM »
The damages of the weapons for the vecs would make sence as well as for GPs.  the max weight the vec can use and the max power the weapon requires.  GPs dont have to worry about power plants they can plug in with tubes.

How ever the double barrel turret could move just as fast as a lighter turret.  This is because it could have bigger power requirement to push the turret around faster and it could use a different drive motor.

Offline croxis

Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 10:17:08 PM »
But wouldnt you then use that drive moter for the smaller turrets to make them even faster?

The reson i suggested turret speed is for gamebalance reasons, and gives the specilizations path more validity.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 10:13:21 PM »
If the lighter turret used a faster moter, it would have less turning accuracy.  It's hard to stop something that is moving faster unless it has more friction
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 11:39:45 PM »
Ok i think this turning thing might be getting you know to realistic hehe  True that a bigger turret would be heavier and slower turning and would require more power.  Think of the turning of a turret this way tho like most things that aim or tune you have a Course tune and a fine tune.  So it wouldnt be like some one picking up a 2x4 and trying to hit a golf ball

Offline croxis

Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 12:07:55 AM »
The turret could also be turned with electro magnets, anywyas you are right this is getting a bit too technical ;)  gameplay comes first!

Turrets moving faster on larger chassis might actually be a really good idea, as lighter turrets could move faster and take out speedy craft better.

Faster turrets being less accurate, while probably more realistic, migth be too much and defeat the point of fast turrets (taking out other fast craft)

Offline Tramis

Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 02:12:36 PM »
Perhaps some weapons might allow for double barreled GPs, but others wouldn't - IE no double Thors, but yes to double lasers, etc.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 02:21:45 PM »
fast turrets arn't inaccurate, just look at the phalanx anti missle turret, it can move extremely fast to catch up with missles, yet is accurate enough to hit them, and it can stop very fast http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/mk-15.htm

if you have the drive moters capeable of moving a turret quickly, than they are capable of stopping the turret very quickly as well, all you have to do is short out the leads to the moter and it will act as a brake that would be more than capable of stopping the turret right where it needs to be
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline Tramis

Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 01:05:06 PM »
Or simply just fire on the move, while tracking.

The electro magnets thing Croxis mentioned might actually be applicable - if we make turret speed an issue, we might want a research that could increase that speed.  Keep those too-technical things in mind.

IMO something we can work with for this turret-speed thing, is think that - the Lynx is too light to have very powerful turret turning motors, and the Tiger has to fight all that weight of the double turret.  The Panther on the other hand, has neither problem to worry about, thus giving the Panther the fastest turret speed.  Just something to make the Panther feel the luv.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 09:37:25 PM »
I like it, lynx have speed panthers have accuracy and tigers have durabality

I think thats pretty balanced

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 09:51:39 PM »
I did talk about this (in IRC I think) about a million years ago. The idea was shot down by other people who said it was "overpowered". :/ Obviously, they didn't realize how s***ty regular GP's are.

Offline Leviathan

Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 04:58:44 AM »
it would be a good idea.

if tigers can hav them im sure gp could.

Offline croxis

Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 04:28:09 PM »
That would be unbalanced in Op2, but considering its a new game it would give a chance to rebalance old concepts with new ones.

Offline Sirbomber

Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 06:36:38 PM »
I like it, lynx have speed panthers have accuracy and tigers have durabality

I think thats pretty balanced
Accuracy? Where did that come from?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 06:52:15 PM »
IMO something we can work with for this turret-speed thing, is think that - the Lynx is too light to have very powerful turret turning motors, and the Tiger has to fight all that weight of the double turret. The Panther on the other hand, has neither problem to worry about, thus giving the Panther the fastest turret speed. Just something to make the Panther feel the luv.

there, just a few posts above

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 03:42:48 AM »
I dont know why you people are putting all this damn realism in the game let all the weapons fire like they did in op2 and just be done with it.  That is nice clean and simple no reason to make every thing almost rube goldburg.  OP2 had the weapons make miss fires that was good enough.

Offline croxis

Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 12:55:46 PM »
So more interesting and thoughtful gameplay is a bad thing?

If it comes down to realism vs gameplay, then gameplay should win, but I'm not seeing this as the case.

Turret speed is going to be coded anyways because the buggers arnt going to magically point in the direction of fire, all what will need to be done is change a number in the turret speed equasion from a number to a variable which is assigned to the chasse/gun -- its not hard to add.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 01:45:12 PM »
That would be unbalanced in Op2, but considering its a new game it would give a chance to rebalance old concepts with new ones.
And you're forgetting how worthless regular GP's are.

Offline croxis

Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2006, 07:56:57 PM »
Right.  If guardposts were rebalanced to be viable options then they may be no need to have double barrel, or balance it so double barrel is only viable for particular counter stratagies and not a universal uber weapon.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Double Barrel Gp
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2006, 08:28:38 PM »
Right.  If guardposts were rebalanced to be viable options then they may be no need to have double barrel, or balance it so double barrel is only viable for particular counter stratagies and not a universal uber weapon.
So much for trying to make a NEW idea.