Author Topic: Eden Garage  (Read 6410 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Eden Garage
« on: July 26, 2006, 05:59:48 PM »

The Garage is the primary repair facility for vehicles.  Most of the interior is a single open space subdivided with retractable partitions into individual work-bays.  The entire vehicle bay can be pressurized, or individual bays can be sealed and pressurized as needed.
Each bay is equipped with overhead hoists, multiple floor lifts, a heavy-duty robotics lifting arm, and two Robot Assist Mechanic (RAM) units.  A RAM consists of a long, flexible, mechanical arm attached to the ceiling at one end, and terminating in a fan of special-purpose tool-arms, cameras, and sensors.  The RAM is capable of most routine assembly and disassembly tasks, allowing a single human mechanic to oversee the repair of several vehicles at once.

The Garage also incorporates several small offices, a storeroom where common parts are stored, a miniature parts fabrication plant, a machine shop, and a computer bay for checkout, repair, and programming of vehicle and robot "brains."

Operational Notes: The Garage repairs and stores up to 6 vehicles.  Any kind of vehicle can dock at the Garage, except Spiders and Scorpions. Vehicles stored at a Garage are protected from damage, even if the Garage itself is damaged.  However, any vehicles inside a Garage when it is destroyed are lost.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 06:02:03 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline omagaalpha

Eden Garage
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 06:06:03 PM »
Question explaine why chimmy struture has quad ploygon missing on top. Other then that it is good.
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Sirbomber

Eden Garage
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 06:07:36 PM »
It's black there in OP2. So I put a hole there.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eden Garage
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 06:40:12 PM »
If every thing is down by robotic arms and lifts why does it need to be pressurized its not like there going to be doing some Brazing or bondo to a lynx lol.

Offline Sirbomber

Eden Garage
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 06:51:48 PM »
How should I know? I just copied and pasted.
Probably needs human intervention every now and then.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eden Garage
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 07:08:36 PM »
yes need some lacky to go check the PSI in the lynx tires and wax the panthers

Offline Sirbomber

Eden Garage
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 07:10:14 PM »
Stop complaining about the Garage's function and coment on the model.

Offline Chandler

Eden Garage
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 09:20:56 PM »
If every thing is down by robotic arms and lifts why does it need to be pressurized its not like there going to be doing some Brazing or bondo to a lynx lol.
Welding perhaps? Or some other repair function that needs oxygen...
Or just for the worker walking around making sure the computers are working and not playing CS...  :heh:  
Chandler

Offline Tramis

Eden Garage
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 01:17:56 PM »
It has a contained atmosphere so the mechanics don't have to wear big clunky spacesuits to get in the way of their work (not everything can be done by a machine)

Besides, if it was all robot-controlled, why are 3 workers required for it to run?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 01:35:03 PM by Tramis »

Offline DarekStar

Eden Garage
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 02:12:23 PM »
And doors are needed to keep the RAM`s and vehucals from bein sucked out by twisters or damaged by Storms.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 02:13:07 PM by DarekStar »
-Darek

Caution this user refuses to spell check or even try and spell corectly unless posting a story.

so bare with him

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Eden Garage
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 04:10:40 PM »
There is a story somewhere in the help file where humans do some sort of manual work. I can't remember exactly what. (One possibility that comes to mind is that the people might want to get inside the vehicle without wearing a pressure suit).

As for welding, the machinery would probably do that. Seeing as it's done currently in factories without much problem. Oxygen wouldn't be needed as it would probably be some sort of electrode welding (like wire feed). And actually a lack of oxygen would make welding more economical (you wouldn't have to use any sort of shielding gas like when you deal with Mig welding as there's no oxygen in the air to begin with to react with the weld).

However you can't rule out small welders for example work that the machines can't get at (small crevices or elsewhere). Also installation of the onboard computers, etc might have to be done in part by hand.

---

As for the model itself, it reminds me of some sort of turtle. (Not meant to sound offensive). Maybe part of it is just the angle looking at the model, but from the viewpoint shown the smokestack isn't quite right (it's got extra polygons sticking out into space which don't look like they should be there -- that's the 'head' of the turtle).
Those pillars next to the garage could probably be sucked in a bit - they are what remind me of 'legs'.

But then again, it could just be the angling of the shot.

Offline james239

Eden Garage
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 06:49:39 PM »
Yeah, I read that file, it was in the help section of an old Outpost 2 demo, under 'garage', it talked about sometimes the computers requiring human assistance, and I'd assume to make it easier to manuver they'd pressurize it so the workers wouldn't need any bulky suits.

Offline Chandler

Eden Garage
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 09:26:04 PM »
As for the model itself, it reminds me of some sort of turtle.
Look more like a dinosaur (i.e. Brontosaurus) to me.
Chandler

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Eden Garage
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 09:33:02 PM »
to me it looks like a duck, the pointy thing on the end of the smokestack looks like a beak lol
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Sirbomber

Eden Garage
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 02:40:18 PM »
Does it still look like various animals?

I can get rid of the extra edges sticking out on the smokestack. I thought it made it look better, but whatever.

Arklon: Don't whine about the vast emptiness inside the Garage. It will be taken care of.

Somehow.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Eden Garage
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 04:41:31 PM »
it's looking a lot better Sirbomber. I would bring the verts on the side of the chimney in a bit so it doesn't look "sharp"

I can imagine we would "paint" the inside of the garage on the side of a face closing it... but that may not look the best.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 04:41:51 PM by Stormy »
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Tellaris

Eden Garage
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2006, 12:27:01 AM »
This be it.

Tales from New Terra

Penny Hill sighed as she entered the Garage.  Sometime during the night, there had been a war.  It was obvious enough why Tolo had called her in four hours before her regular shift.  Every bay was full, the Robot Assist Mechanics busy in every one, and on three of the bays the yellow lights flashed, indicating that human assistance was needed.  Worse than that, on the way in she'd seen the line of vehicles waiting outside, running all the way around the building.
Before zeroing in on any one of them, she waved at Tolo as he poked his head out of a Tiger's EMP turret, and made the rounds of the building.  Most of the damaged vehicles were combat units, carrying a full menu of battle damage: Laser damage, acid burns, craters from Rail Gun projectiles, EMP-fried electrical systems, and the characteristic jagged cuts created by the Thor's Hammer weapon.

Finally she turned her attention to an EMP Panther, so pitted and scarred by acid its armor looked little thicker than tissue paper.  Perhaps she could write it off as a total loss and open the bay up for a more readily repairable unit.
As she climbed up its scarred flank, she sighed.  Whoever said that automated combat didn't produce casualties wasn't a mechanic.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Skydock Command

Eden Garage
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 06:09:33 PM »
Does it still look like various animals?

I think it looks like a swan.
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.