Author Topic: Beijing  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Beijing
« on: June 29, 2006, 03:17:40 AM »
Weut! I went for a 7 day vacation in Beijing. It was great. It was only supposed to be 5 days, but I made some last minute changes to visit a friend's parents. I flew down there with some friends to do some sightseeing, but then we split up after the 5 days.

Activities included climbing the Great Wall, visiting the Forbidden City, the Summer Palace, the Temple of Heaven, the Llama Temple, Tiananmen square, and BeiHai park, as well as a few lesser known places, or places I just plain didn't like, such as fancy shopping malls. =( The Great Wall was awesome. I was running up that one a fair bit of the way. In jeans. On the way back into the city I read it was 41 degrees celcius. (Probably a little cooler out by the great wall, but still at least in the mid 30s). I spent a record amount of money on a bottle of water after that one. :P

It's amazing how everyone there seems to speak at least some English. :|
... that and I'd never seen so many tourists in my life. It sometimes seemed like they outnumbered the locals.

On the down side, I really didn't like the street merchants. I didn't like being assulted by a mass of people trying to sell every type of junk imaginable every time I tried to enter or leave a tourist spot. I don't know how many times I've heard the words "Rolex!", "Postcards!", or "T-s***s!" shouted during my stay. It left me with a strange urge to strangle someone on more than one occasion. They're so persistent. And they charge so much too. If you ever go there, don't buy anything from them. You're guaranteed to find better quality stuff for cheaper anywhere else.

I also went to the zoo. They had pandas. =) I watched a animal show with sea lions and dolphins which was pretty good. The aquatic section there was pretty nice. They had some fish that were quite a bit larger than I was.

Oh, and after the zoo, I saw a cheesy 3D movie. Escape from Dinosaur Island II. One of those short 15 minute or so films with the 3D glasses and moving seats. It was silly but fun.

I also got treated to a ridiculously expensive restaurant on my last day there. I felt kinda guilty about that one. The two of us spent enough to feed probably about 30+ people if we'd gone to any reasonably priced place. (30+ people who would have left with lots of leftover food).

Oh, and my friend's dad is a principal of a rather impressive highschool. They have so much high tech stuff there. The flight simulator computer lab was pretty cool with all the force feedback devices, but the observatory was just over the top. That and pictures of various visitors kinda leave you with a bit of a feeling of awe. Why the heck would the mayor of Chicago visit their highschool? Ahh well, like most people probably do, I didn't think to ask at the time. I just accepted the fact that their school was somehow worthy of a visit by him. That and there are so many other awards and visitors I saw pictures of that it only seemed a minor point at the time. Heh, I hope they kept them in a better place than I stayed though. The hotel I was in next to the school for those extra 2 days was ... dirty, to put it lightly. The "sterilized" sign over the toilet seat was probably more alarming than comforting.

Anyways, after that I took an overnight train back. It was supposed to take 12 hours but it ended up taking 13 hours. All in all in was an interesting experience. But hey, it's also good to be back. Reasonable temperatures, good cheap food, friends, countryside barbeques, empty beer cans and BB guns, ... err, yeah, that last one was a little different. But meh, it's not like I emptied any of those cans myself. Yeah, come to think of it, some of the stories from when I got back are probably at least as good as some of the stories I have from Beijing.

Well in short, Beijing was big, beautiful, expensive, full of white tourists speaking English, Chinese/English road signs, massive buildings and parks, tree lined roads, air conditioned buildings (out of necessity) and lots of annoying merchants every major place you go. :P Nice place to visit, but I don't think I'd want to live there.

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Beijing
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 04:19:35 AM »
Hello, Hooman.
So nice to see other vacationers!  atm i'm still in Thailand: last day in Phuket (Karon beach), but we'll be travelling to Bangkok tomorrow afternoon.  I'll be submitting a full "report" on my vacation later on. For now i can tell u Thailand is not much different when it comes to selling junk. They don't attack you that much, but they are shouting and asking you to come see their stuff. And so many times i hear them shout 'tuk-tuk?' trying to get us in one of their ... well there ain't a good word for it.. if you never seen one, it's like a tiny pickup truck with a roof and benches in the back, so people can sit. Not closed off other then just a piece of plasticsheet, which you'd rather open up to get some air circulation going, because here too, it's way over 30 degrees celcius. Anyway: if you sya no to one, the next which is literally 20 feet away (and has seen u turn down the other) will STILL try to convince u to go into HIS tuk-tuk.

So much for now. talk to u guys later.

Oh, i think u misspelled T-Shirt :)
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Sl0vi

Beijing
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 10:55:27 AM »
41 degrees celcius? Wow, I feel like I'm melting whenever it reaches 20 degrees celcius, I'd probably die if I went there.

So anyway, Welcome back :)
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Beijing
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 10:53:52 PM »
Hehe, so I did seem to mispell it.

I'll have to post a picture of the panda for you know who. :P
Although, it didn't appear all that clean. It's white fur wasn't very white. It was a little brown and dirty looking. I think that panda could have used some tide.

Ahh well, I'm definately liking some of the stuff I've done since I got back. The overnight spa place was pretty cool. Oh, and I could be moving into a new residence in the next few days. It would again put me back near the university, but not on campus. But that's another story entirely. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

Oh, and I got invited to teach an English class recently. That was pretty cool and confidence boosting. Their english teacher spoke very well but you could tell he was really having to concentrate when he spoke. You could just tell he was grinding away at the grammar as he spoke. It made it sound not quite so natural due to the flow, but his pronounciation was remarkable. The only one I've met here with better english was foriegners. ... and their grammar wasn't as clean. ;P Sadly though, all the foreign students I knew left when the semester ended.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Beijing
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 11:43:50 PM »
okay, we have a closer pinpoint on Hooman's location now!  It is close enough to Beijing to travel to by train overnight...
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Beijing
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 02:01:24 AM »
And with his time-zone set to something like GMT+9 we're getting close to finding him !
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Beijing
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 09:55:53 AM »
excellent

We also have the pictures from his school to aid us *grins evily*
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Beijing
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 08:25:51 PM »
Lol yes. Well, just to make those pictures more tempting, I'm pretty sure the name of the university is in at least one of them. And the university is named after the city. Just have to learn how to read Chinese now. :P

As for my exact location at this very moment.... Oh, if only you could guess. :)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Beijing
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 12:30:39 AM »
hooman, remember my secret weapon?  freetranslation.com

mwahahahaha!
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Beijing
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 03:50:07 AM »
Yeah, that might be more of an issue if I'd pasted the text rather than posted a picture. You still have to find a way of entering the text into the computer so that you can use a translator. If you don't already know how to read what's in the picture, that probably won't help you too much.

Besides, if it's the name of a place, you can't really translate it.

Btw, I'm moving. :P

Ok, so maybe not really any kinda big move, but I do sorta feel a little homeless at the moment. I'm no longer living in residence, and half my stuff is sitting in an empty apartment. Guess I should get around to moving the rest sometime. But yeah, I'm not in residence, I'm still not back living with my parents, and I'm not living with the family that has all the rest of my stuff in their house, and I just don't really feel at home in that empty apartment. But then I'm only really there to sleep. But yeah, that's a whole different story.

So, now that I'm done rambling I bring myself back to the point that I'm not changing cities, at least for the time being, so this really has no bearing on whether or not you can locate the city I'm in. Hmm, unless I go out to visit the countryside tomorrow. Hmm, yes, that's an idea.

:P