Author Topic: Scout Sensor Readouts  (Read 5812 times)

Offline Tramis

Scout Sensor Readouts
« on: July 04, 2006, 12:05:39 PM »
Scout Sensor Readouts

Related ideas:

- not sure

Description:

The scout could have a button on it that would open a list of what all the sensors are reading.  These would change depending on conditions.  Example: a temperature gauge that would rise during the day, drop at night, lower as elevation got higher, raise in a desert climate, spike up, then drop back down when hit with certain weapons, etc.  There could be temperature, Number of Enemy Units Detected, Magnetic Anomalies (would help sense nearby ore deposits, but not say exactly where), and so on and so forth.

In the Options, there could be an option that would turn on and off "Scout Jargon".  These would be additional readouts that can be useful, if you have any idea what it's talking about.

You could have a similar option on the RoboSurveyor (if you keep it in), except it would be more specialized towards mining.

This is a good idea, because:

- Makes the Scout more like a Scout

This is a bad idea, because:

- May get too complicated to code?

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 12:59:38 PM »
Sounds good.

It would give scouts some more use, beside rushes.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 03:20:16 PM »
I see this as more of a Minimap overlay where ever the scout is on the mini map youll see the radius and all the data it collected within that radius.  It all seems like it would be a bit like static  if you involve the tempature.  the Magnetic detection thing is interesting because you could have some hidden 3 bar mines in the game that only the help of the scout could find and plus all power sources in the vecs are bound to have some kind of magnetic presence.

Offline Tramis

Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 03:10:50 PM »
Actually the temperature would be useful, because if you settle in an area with a comfortable temperature, that would definitely raise morale

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 03:25:35 PM »
temperature doesnt matter in the least since all the colonists live inside sealed buildings and never make direct contact with the new terra atmosphere which is mostly co2. new terra is either barren and dry or toxic and uninhabitable.

the idea is interesting but i dont see how this would work with op2. maybe in a remake but it is still only providing mostly useless information. its cool, but would require alot of work for pretty much zero benefit.

nice work tho.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 03:49:27 PM »
I like the idea of saying the number of enemy units...tired of just hearing "enemy units sighted."  I NEED TO KNOW HOW MANY YOU STUPID SAVANT!  Lol, helps you choose your course of action
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 04:30:04 PM »
I like the idea of saying the number of enemy units...tired of just hearing "enemy units sighted."  I NEED TO KNOW HOW MANY YOU STUPID SAVANT!  Lol, helps you choose your course of action
Also it would be good to say what kind of unit.
    Ex:
"__ Unit(s) detected. Starflares and Thor's hammer"

The story btw isn't only on New Terra, it's also on Cythera, but still, the colonists couldn't breathe the air then :P
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 04:30:23 PM by Stormy »
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Tramis

Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 06:20:05 AM »
the idea is interesting but i dont see how this would work with op2. maybe in a remake
Uhh, you do realize this is in the OP3 forum right?

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 10:49:32 AM »
The collected data could be useful:
you want to know temperature and the concentration of some gasses in order to determine if a location is save.
Terrain information could be inportant for building and mining.
And - yes - specific info on enemy units would be cool.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 02:39:04 PM »
Perhaps the scout could do atmosphere and soil samples as well, to detect weather changes or blight infection.

Offline Sirbomber

Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 05:15:44 PM »
the idea is interesting but i dont see how this would work with op2. maybe in a remake
Uhh, you do realize this is in the OP3 forum right?
OP3 is based on OP2. THey're both on similar planets.

And yeah, what in God's name would a temperature guage be for? Measuring how much lava is on top of your Structure Factory?
Also, it wouldn't spike if it got hit by anything, since it dies in one hit (more or less), and therefore stops transmitting data at that point.

Also, while it may seem more like a real Scout, why would I need to know the wind speed or air pressure of a location? That's what the Disaster Warning Systems are for.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 05:56:29 PM »
in caught in the cross fire we have a simmiler idea already in place, you use scouts to find mineing beacons which would then be surveyed by a robosurveyor
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Chandler

Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 08:31:56 PM »
Perhaps the scout could do atmosphere and soil samples as well, to detect weather changes or blight infection.
I think that would be more something for the robosurveyor to do, myself.

I like this idea though  (thumbsup)  
Chandler

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 04:17:00 AM »
I was thinking about this while at work because i am so busy there some times lol.  Any way I think this Sensor readout is more applicable as a Sat like the edward because sure it gives the scout more use but the limited view of the scout doesnt seem like it would be enough.  If you really wanted to look at magnetic fluxuations you would need to see it on a grander scale of a planitary view.  Of couse you could turn it on and off because it would be on the main screen not the minimap so you could see hidden mines and such.  Also i think this tech would beable to detect hidden vecs becaus if it has power it has a magnetic field unless EMPed.  As for detecting heat i could only see this being used to detect vec at night as they would be warmer then there surroundings.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 05:58:25 AM »
im pretty sure the EDWARD sat already uses these things to locate ore deposits.

blight appears suddenly and any warning signs (volcanic activity) is sudden, violent and immediately proceeded by the blight itself. testing soil samples wouldnt tell you anything about the blight. if you detected blight, the vehicle would already have exploded by contact with it.

i dont see the use for any of this stuff in a scout or surveyor. the edward sat already does some of what you suggest and the rest is not useful at all.

Offline Skydock Command

Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 05:16:04 PM »
I understand what dm-Horus is saying but I think this is a great idea.
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 10:43:45 PM »
CCF scout finding the ore pisses me off because you have to spend alot of time to find it.  That is fine for a map like CCF but in a Land rush or LOS do you seriously want to patrol around scouts for 20 minutes to find a damn ore mine.  I know I dont.

tempature gauge.  Pointless.  What the hell is the tempature going to give you tell you that there is lava in that there volcano so what there usually is anyway.  To find the Heat signatures of vecs with there lights off at night.  well if its in the scouts site range it will see it any way.

Edward does most of this.  

Offline Skydock Command

Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 06:43:59 AM »
The EDWARD can tell you the temperature of a small area? :huh:

But your right we dont need it.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 04:39:01 PM »
I dont think it would be possible to have very much resolution from orbit when dealing with heat.

Offline Skydock Command

Scout Sensor Readouts
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 05:18:56 PM »
I think your right.