Author Topic: A New 3d Model  (Read 2101 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
A New 3d Model
« on: June 20, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »
I got bored so I made this today.

It is the drive section (front or cab) of a cargo truck/evac/convec. I was inspired by some new members this morning and got the model to the above stage in about 3 hours off and on work. This is mostly a perspective test as I was curious about the angle at which these units are seen in the game and in cutscenes. They are almost always isometric and I wanted to see how the perspective would look in free view. I will probably expand the rear compartment and elongate the mounting system later if the masses demand it. I built the model in Rhinoceros and imported it to 3DSMax for rendering. Most of my time was taken up by test renders which took between 3 and 10 minutes to complete. I will probably make several more.

Props to Fenrisul.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 05:04:29 PM by dm-horus »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
A New 3d Model
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 05:00:03 PM »
very nice

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
A New 3d Model
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 05:00:50 PM »
quite detailed

very nice

ive been wondering that, will we have a modular drive section and just tak on the different trailers, or will each unit be its own model itself?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
A New 3d Model
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 05:08:53 PM »
Betaray: no idea. Im not making this for a game project. Just for fun.

I notice that the in-game units and cutscene units look vastly different. I used a zoomed screenshot of a cargo truck as a guide for this and as a result, looks pretty out of whack with what you see in the cutscenes in terms of proportions. I'll post another version of it to show you what I mean.

Offline Leviathan

A New 3d Model
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 06:31:25 PM »
looks dam sweet! :D

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
A New 3d Model
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 08:15:55 PM »
Here is an alteration of the above tractor.

The proportions are expanded to match closer to what is seen in the op2 cutscenes. Perspective, y'all.

It is the same model, only tweaked and expanded in a few places. Some minor changes were made to add detail. Eventually Ill get around to merging the model with some offroad tires I made but they arent important.

If theres anything anyone wants to see (like a request) let me know and Id be happy to work on it. At the moment Im just doing this for fun.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 09:39:16 PM by dm-horus »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
A New 3d Model
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 10:04:47 PM »
now do we have any skinners?

cause I man the models are sweet, but without skin their not units or buildings, their just models
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
A New 3d Model
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 10:15:04 PM »
A Thor's Hammer lynx.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
A New 3d Model
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 11:24:14 PM »
im thinking for things like the drive of cargo trucks, convecs, and transports should be modular, and the same should be the same for lynx's panther's and Tiger's that way all we need to make is one chassis, and the game will put on whatever turret is needed, it would save alot of time and allow the units to look simmiler (you dont want the chassis for a tiger mic to look different from a tiger rpg)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
A New 3d Model
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 11:34:54 AM »
Skinning is easy but you need models first. Ill do some skinning a bit later when I have a good amount of models going.