Author Topic: Survivor: Forsaken World  (Read 6525 times)

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Survivor: Forsaken World
« on: May 20, 2006, 03:41:02 PM »

Recent spy and scout reports show evidence pointing to a highly dangerous research project being developed by the mother Eden colony. Rumors of terraforming travel the tube network at a lightning pace. Eden refuses to answer our transmisions on this subject. And to make matters worse, a runaway scientist from Eden tells us of a "microbe" that is "ill-guarded". He urges us to get far, far away as soon as possible, perhaps even to escape this Forsaken World.

Files:

In a RAR File
ForsakenWorld.rar

Separate
mf4_hso.dll
survaxen.map
survtech.txt

« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 08:10:00 PM by Mcshay »

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 07:28:14 PM »
oooh, exciting!!!

I love your "briefing"...

hmm, makes me want to work on a briefing image for some reason :P
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 08:58:10 PM »
lol I just read the microbe resistance upgrade, lysol lol
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 09:59:51 PM »
Yaaaay, somebody likes my Lysol Tech.

Go download and play it and stuff.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 07:13:24 AM »
Great work guys :D

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 09:54:46 PM »
I'd like to add that I did a TON of work on this.
Now, if Hacker could just tell me what he did to the FTP login stuff, I'd upload the latest copy I have.

And "forsake" means "to turn your back upon". So, "we must leave this forsaken world" doesn't make much sense; rather, "we must forsake this world".
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 09:56:10 PM by Arklon »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 01:15:54 AM »
I think it makes sence, eden forsake the world by going forward with the microbe research.  Thus it was already forsaken.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 02:01:26 PM »
Arklon, your map is old. We went ahead with some semi-recent source I found, got it up-to-date, and added some stuff, like the volcanos.

And yes, many people have worked on this, either directly or indirectly.
Of special note are:

Myself
Harky
Arklon
Mcshay
hacker (made it so infected structures eventually die)
And it's customary to thank the people who tested it, but then again, that was mostly ourselves anyways. But thanks to all you people who did test it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 02:07:39 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 02:07:24 PM »
Yeah, sorry Arklon. We didn't know if you were comming back, since you didn't tell us anything about, well, anything (other than you are playing Oblivion). I was going to put credits in the post, but it didn't seem needed, since survivor maps come from the survivor team (who bomber posted)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 02:09:54 PM by Mcshay »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 02:21:55 PM »
I'd like to add that I did a TON of work on this.
Now, if Hacker could just tell me what he did to the FTP login stuff, I'd upload the latest copy I have.

And "forsake" means "to turn your back upon". So, "we must leave this forsaken world" doesn't make much sense; rather, "we must forsake this world".
The webhost shut down our FTP server (told us we are forbidden to run background servers). Using the system FTP server for the user accounts isn't a viable solution, either.

So unfortunately you'll have to use the filemanager to upload your stuff, unless someone magically tells me of some way that allows proper file uploading without needing to run a server in the background.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 07:46:00 AM »
Uh, yeah, the file manager corrupts all my uploads.

And I'm not even really PLAYING Oblivion. I'm MODDING it. It's another one of those mainstreamed engine-based games that are only fun for 20 minutes and then all that's left is eye candy. >_< I'll spare you the rant, though.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 07:48:26 AM by Arklon »

Offline Tellaris

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 04:35:05 PM »
Actually, it just looks like excessive argueing.   Plus, don't we already HAVE a  random beacon code?   I remember ziggy handing one out at some point.   A little buggy, but it worked.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 04:35:29 PM by Baikon »
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Mez

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 07:23:20 AM »
Its bordering on spam, but was still on topic!
Deleting the posts would confuse things as there are sensible ideas occuring
Deleted McShay's post because that was off topic (and it was requested).

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 05:38:59 PM »
Deleted the last of Arklon's useless posts, wasn't on topic. ("beg on your knees" post as Sirbomber put it)

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 03:28:42 PM »
I just realized that you never said that it needs op2extra.dll to run properly (or at all really).

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 06:19:39 PM »
Eddy, when you gonna give us the static link version of op2extra?! :P

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 11:04:17 PM »
I don't understand why you want static link versions. Isn't it more practical to ship e.g. op2extra once with op2 so that it can be used by whatever. Obviously there are gonna be a few projects that use it. Static linking could make the whole thing unnecassary big.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 07:53:20 AM »
Well, for a couple reasons:

First of all static linking makes it so you don't have to retain binary compatibility in future versions of op2extra. You could add / remove parameters or even remove functions totally and it wouldn't affect projects that had already been statically linked. This makes the job a bit easier on the programmer (since they don't have to remain binary-compatible with previous versions).

I think Eddy himself had problems with this (the renegades missions used a modified version of op2extra which was not binary compatible with the public version of op2extra.dll, which was part of the default OP2 install (as of 1.3.4)).

You also have the problem of new versions of op2extra.dll being released. If the mission uses a new version of op2extra, and uses new features from this version (all of which aren't present in the op2extra bundled with op2), the user running the mission has to update their op2extra.dll anyway.. so you don't avoid the DLL hell this way either.

Also, put it this way. For the same reason, when you compile an application with microsoft C++, you have the option of statically linking in the C runtime library, or dynamically linking to msvcrt.dll which is supposed to be in the system / system32 folder on the system.

Almost all applications written in MS C++ are statically linked just to avoid the DLL hell that results from not having the proper version of msvcrt.dll on the system. (or perhaps not having it at all).

Besides, the op2 missions already statically link with the C runtime library. (That's why a simple DLL is around 30 kb). Statically linking with op2extra wouldn't increase the DLL size much (a few KB at max).

--

Anyway, enough of my rant.