Author Topic: An Idea (regarding Forum Ordering)  (Read 2013 times)

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
An Idea (regarding Forum Ordering)
« on: April 19, 2006, 05:05:27 PM »
I know a lot of people don't like how the forums are currently ordered on the front page. Some people wish that forums they frequented more often were at the top, or to perhaps move the subforums out onto the main page, put other forums as subforums, etc.

Well, this brings me to my idea. My idea is a mod for the forums that would allow people to pick and choose their own ordering for forums. Everyone could have their own preference as to how the forums would be ordered. You would go into a special page in your User CP which showed a list of all the forums, and would allow you to move them around.

I think this would be a way to make the forum setup more friendly for each person. For example, the OP3 people could have the genesis forums right at the top, I could have the programming forum at the top, Lev could have OPCW at the top, etc.

What does everyone think about this? Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to go about doing this? Or do you think it's just another feature that no one will end up using?

Offline spirit1flyer

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 05:21:21 PM »
i'd use it. But don't you think the forums on the top are there for a reason?
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 06:47:35 PM »
Yes, and that's probably a better arrangement for new users who haven't found their way around yet.

New user's accounts would use the default layout. Also, the custom layout thing would probably be something you would have to turn on. That is, if it's not turned on, you will see what the defaults are (and if the defaults happen to get reordered or changed, you'll see that as well).

But for everyone else, who is accustomed to the forums, it would make sense to pick your own layout.

I guess for very important forums that hold things like important notices and such, we could make it impossible to move those around (since people would need to read them).

Also would need to know how to deal with new forums being created. Perhaps just add them to their default places in the list and let the user reorder them later?

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 07:56:47 PM »
Meh, if you can't wait the massive two seconds it takes to scroll down, why are you here?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 09:46:20 PM »
The current layout is ok for me. As Sirbomber said, I don't mind scrolling down. I read all forums whenever I visit anyway.
If you want to work on something,, there are quite a few other things..

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 08:05:24 AM »
I'm not saying it bothers me (or that I would even need something like this). Yes of course I have plenty of other stuff to work on here.

Just an idea I threw out there since I know some people have mentioned they didn't like the forum ordering that much, and I wanted to see if it would be useful to anyone here.