Author Topic: OP2Mapper Update  (Read 50287 times)

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2006, 06:47:32 PM »
Here's another screen shot of the work so far, with part of the cell type editor showing (not finished yet).
I've improved it so that the editing tools can either be a separate pane that appears on the left or right side (which are both possible, I'll have a selector that lets you pick where you want it to be), or on the toolbar (as the cell type selector shows).
The actual selection between pane or toolbar probably won't be user settable, it just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to do so (the cell type editor is simple and only needs one dropdown for setting the cell type, whereas the tile picker shows actual tiles and needs a lot more screen real estate).
Anyway, here it is:

(As you can see, there's a slight glitch with the cell type list, as it's not showing all the possible types yet. I just have to make the drop down list slightly longer).

The toolbars are rebars, meaning you can drag them around and you could have the cell type editor on the second row (just no docking yet, wherein you can 'rip' the toolbar away from the rebar and have it floating; that's logic I have to implement manually and it definitely won't come in the first release). I probably will have a setting you can set to place it into a popup box (for both types of map editing tools).

Also note, on the editing tools where they are fixed to the left / right side of the screen, their width is adjustable (you can drag the divider between the tools and the area where the maps are shown).

As for switching between tools, I haven't written that yet but it will likely be selectable from the Layer menu (currently grayed out) as well as toolbar buttons. At some point I also plan to enable plugins to allow people to write their own tools for special purposes.

Other tools I plan on having that aren't in earlier versions are:
- Definitely some sort of 'brush' system that virtually every other game map editor has. This being, you can select a brush size (in tiles) and 'paint' onto the map, the mapper will automatically figure out the edge tiles to make a transition between the different types of terrain.
- Automatic cell type setting (part of the brushes) - when tiles are painted, it sets the cell type accordingly so you don't have to do that manually.
- Better 'tile group', or as it appears Dynamix called it (from looking at some left over map resources in the Outpost2 Pre-demo), "Landforms" which really is a better name, support allowing you to add, remove, and edit landforms.

Already implemented is animations. If you happen to have an animated tile on the map such as a volcano or lava animation, it will play the animation (rather than refusing to play it as the old mapper did).

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions regarding the new mapper, be sure to let me know!

Offline Leviathan

OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2006, 04:55:00 AM »
Sounding realy sweet. Look forward to using it and suggesting improvments :)

Thanks for update and your hard work.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2006, 12:41:11 PM »
will we be able to set lava paths with the mapper in the same way you set unit locations?  That would make some things a lot easier (especially my big map...)
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2006, 06:57:17 PM »
Yeah, I'm gonna have means for setting that (strange that Dynamix didn't do that, since the map format supports it..)

Also, a means to put blight and lava on the map before the game even starts.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 09:21:31 PM »
I am very anxious to start using this. Ive sketched out alot of ideas for maps but I am quite ignorant of making anything in the currently released tools.

Offline Nightmare24148

OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2006, 11:24:16 PM »
So...how is the Mapper going? Is it done? Sorry to sound so n00bish.
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline instigator

OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2006, 02:36:04 PM »
I downloaded the mapper once. Has the interface been changed since then? I thought it was cool it was just that it would have taken a HUGE amount of time just to make one map because the terrian squares were... confusing. I'll try it again when i get back from break tho... I've been learning alot in school so hopefully stuff will be more applicable to opu stuff. (not that i need a college degree to operate an op2 mapper lol, im just thinking about the programming side of things)

I know stuff, but i hesitate to offer something to the community untill i know what im getting myself into, because of my own lack of subject knowledge.

Offline Psudomorph

OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 01:35:34 PM »
I'm not asking for anything like a release date, but since its been about 7 months since the last word of it, I'm curious whether you have abandoned the project.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2007, 08:41:43 PM »
There is a released version of the mapper. It just continually undergoes improvements, which sometimes fall on the backburner. You know how it can be with some software. There is never a final version. People just keep adding to it.

Here's a link to a download page:
http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Mapper

I don't know how current it is though. I haven't kept up with the project.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2007, 09:24:15 PM »
I don't know how current it is though. I haven't kept up with the project.
That does link to the current mapper, although the links arn't easily found.

Here they are:

Mapper 2.2.1
Mapper Update that requires Mapper 2.2.1 (above)

The second link upgrades Mapper 2.2.1 to be able to copy and paste cell types as well as tiles (there are two map layers, the graphic tiles, and the cell types each tile is assigned making it passible, impassible, a tube, or another kind of tile).

Offline Psudomorph

OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2007, 07:08:26 PM »
Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here...

The links you gave take me to more of the Mapper 2 stuff (already have it). What I was asking about is the mapper 3 project, which I gather is a completely different program, and which sounds like it could be infinitely superior to the current mapper. There has been no word on it for several months in this thread. The last news of it in the wiki says that it is well underway, but that seems to be almost a year old.

I am curious if op2hacker has been working on this project and just not given updates, or if he has put it on indefinite hiatus, or even thrown up his hands and abandoned it altogether. :heh:  

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2007, 08:54:31 PM »
Well, unfortunately, I haven't really had time to work on the project (or much involving programming) lately. (And when I do have time, I usually lack the motivation to write code :()

Right now, it is complete to the point of being able to modify tiles. It can't save maps (though that feature would be easily implemented). I can't really say it has any features that make it better than mapper 2, besides a quite-broken terrain placement tool (and in its current state, it's just as buggy, if not more so, than mapper 2).

If I had more time to work on my own projects (that is, not relating to classes) there would probably be a bit more development on it.

So, I guess I have to apologize, in a way I have thrown up my hands on it but I hope to (someday) get back to working on it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 08:55:01 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Psudomorph

OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2007, 05:47:54 PM »
Hiatus then. No problem, I was just afraid it might have been abandoned never to be worked on again. No hurry, there is an entire internet out there to occupy us in the meantime.  :)  

Offline Combine Crusier

OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2007, 07:35:49 AM »
I've been able to save maps!
Fire at will!

Offline Sirbomber

OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2007, 02:36:34 PM »
But you aren't using OP2 Mapper 3, unless you hacked hacker's computer and stole it.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2007, 07:30:59 PM »
too bad my computers were off and unplugged at the time he posted that... so no, he couldn't have hacked it.

Besides, I have it tighter up than a drum anyway... and the mapper code isn't even on this computer... so :P

Yes, OP2Mapper 2 works fine to save maps and so forth.

Offline Leviathan

OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2007, 08:31:49 AM »
All this talk of the mapper - makes me wanna do some mapping! And of course pester op2hacker to work on Mapper 3 some more :)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2007, 08:08:30 PM »
Hacker, can we have a status update please?
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Leviathan

OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2007, 07:52:25 AM »
BlackBox as you are busy, too busy I would assume to do much work on this project can we get source code for mapper2 and what you currently have done on mapper3 please?

Thanks from the mapping community :)

Offline Sirbomber

OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2007, 08:20:28 AM »
Don't expect any more updates for Mapper 3.
Unless someone else takes over.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2007, 08:23:15 AM »
Well untill we have the source we cant take over.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2007, 11:39:53 AM »
We have most of it. Maybe not completely up to date though. I could swear a good chunk of it got posted a long time back, but I can't seem to find it now. Maybe I'm just hallucinating again about things I think were posted but never were.

At any rate, I haven't exactly given up on Hacker though.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 11:40:50 AM by Hooman »

Offline saiyanyoshi

OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
Oy Vey. Very good. Will it be possible to edit campaign maps for OP2 with the v.3 Mapper? I've tried adding edited maps to the maps.vol file in the OP2 directory on my hard drive, yet when I check the map file, it turns out it was saved as a .dat file instead of a .map file found in the extracted maps.vol.
Basically,
How do I save an edited campaign map to where it'd work in the game? :blink:
-WooHoo! I'm the first on Page 3!!!-
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 03:57:31 PM by saiyanyoshi »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2007, 04:37:50 PM »
It's saved as a .map and a .dat. The .dat contains the unit placement info. You need to know C++ to make actual missions, though.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
OP2Mapper Update
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2007, 08:39:52 PM »
The .dat file does not mean anything at all to op2. The unit/building/mine placement recordings have nothing at all to do with the map file. These things are imported into a C++ compiler and used to create a new mission .dll file.