Author Topic: How Do You Test A Map You've Made?  (Read 8475 times)

Offline james239

How Do You Test A Map You've Made?
« on: March 31, 2006, 08:59:55 PM »
I'm a bit of a noob at outpost 2 (ok, a big-time-major-noob), I've been trying my hand at the mapper I downloaded off the main site, but I do not know how to test the maps I've worked on. Can anyone help me in this area?

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 07:07:03 AM »
You'll need to make a dll that uses your map. I'll do it for you if you don't know how.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline instigator

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 01:44:33 PM »
hehe that was your 555th post sirbomber! ok now,

GAH I'd like to have help on this too. but i would say scour the forum first. its crammed with stuff.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 02:04:36 PM »
hehe that was your 555th post sirbomber!
So it was.

It's not too hard really, so long as you know what you're doing. Just change the map from whatever it is to your new map.

Code: [Select]
char MapName[]  	= "opu_03.map";      	// The .map file used for this level
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline siqueule

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 02:32:58 PM »
you can too replace the tutorial's map by your map, but the buildings are oddly placed if you've create a cliff where they're usually...
you can modify the DLL file to change the building's positions, but I don't know even how open these files  :blink:  :unsure:  
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline Tellaris

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 10:52:00 PM »
You can't really easily edit op2 DLL's.   Even then, you still have to know what you are looking for.
Easiest thing to do is to take the SDK, and change a few lines around.   Starting locations, the map dimensions, the map.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline siqueule

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 12:54:57 PM »
I could retrying...
because I have learn what is a "sdk" since the last time where I tested :hack:  
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline james239

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 05:59:39 PM »
ok, I've did some work on an existing map (Eden Starship colony game, to be exact), I'm trying to turn it around so you start out as plymouth after Eden has destroyed two of the bases, somewhat a reversal of places, is there anyone out there experienced with map-making that would like me to send them the file through E-mail, set me in the right direction and make sure I'm not doing something wrong that'd take hours to fix?

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 08:17:27 PM »
Sure, why not. Can't guarentee I'll have time to do it though.

Offline james239

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 03:06:58 PM »
ok, if anyone wants to help me with (or just look at) what I'm doing, send me a PM with your e-mail address in it, and I'll attach the file and send it to you. Thx to anyone willing to help.