Author Topic: Customizable Units  (Read 5557 times)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Customizable Units
« on: March 19, 2006, 04:39:00 PM »
Customizable units

Originally proposed by Hooman

Related ideas:

- none

Description:

The player can create units from different components, thus allowing more flexibility.
Make a defaults list which should be editable, so the player can add favorite units, thus no need to waste time in the mid of a game on designing a new unit.
Components: chassis, weapon, defense
weight, power, armor, suspention, wepion, track type, engine, sensor, and computer

This is a good idea, because:

- adds a new aspect to the game.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Customizable Units
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 10:51:25 AM »
input on this?

Offline omagaalpha

Customizable Units
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 11:30:46 AM »
I say sound cool idea and allow for lot more choices hehehe. and get rid of type 1 reseach unlesed one vechicle. maybe even allow player choos where he want weapon on vehicle and how many.
____Have heard about Galatic civilition II ship design sytem. obously
 so me stuff in case should be assumed inside vechicle but thought
intersest idea. (sreenshot is second one)
___Also Space empire where to model ship and put squre place
component iside which let you be choose what kindy stuff inside it.
(sreenshot is last one)

___Or could stick with Alpha centurane apoach to it where have
desined place and just switch compent in ther place.

Which problem more likely thinking of when said this idea

hard point use add engine , weapons, jewel

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 11:33:26 AM by omagaalpha »
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Customizable Units
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 11:32:00 AM »
ive had a simmiler idea so I support it

make sure its simple for people to use, each component would have a weight amount and a power requirement, and the basic propertys for the vec (speed, defence, armor exc) would be displayd clearly for people

and of corse, you cant build a vec that dosnt have enough power, or the chassis cant hold the wep, or the computer cant handle all the addons you put into it

edit, nevermind, the above post says it all lol
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 11:33:14 AM by Betaray »
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Customizable Units
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 11:51:48 PM »
I think I like this idea, it's something different that if we do it, we need to make it not TOO advanced, otherwise in the middle of multiplayer you will lose time customizing your vehicles, maybe have presets for fast upgrades that you can make for your own little profile type thing?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 11:52:52 PM by Stormy »
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Customizable Units
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 12:27:39 AM »
yes, be able to save the profiles of your custom units made at an earliar time, but you wont be able to build the units untill you have reshurched ingame the parts needed for it

this would encurage people to make low end units, mid units and the uber units theve always wanted lol
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Customizable Units
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 12:45:29 AM »
yeah this is alot like earth 2160. i fully endorse this idea.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Customizable Units
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 07:16:02 AM »
Yeah, I've played the Moon Project (which is the successor to e2160 I believe).

For this (and all added 'rules' in the game) it should be possible to turn off perhaps people don't want this.

And you can't make it too flexible (like the last screenshot omegaalpha posted) otherwise you'll probably spend more time designing the vehicle than it will actually last in combat.

Only thing.. this is really only useful in a long game. In a rush game or anything like that this feature would go unused. That's probably one of the reasons few RTS'es have a feature like this.

Offline omagaalpha

Customizable Units
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 03:29:51 PM »
well all games that have it in it that I can think of are turn base games.

Of 3 Alpha centurane  one probley easiest of them implement way program(note see in other games this sytemuse for units)

Galacti civilzation 2 to implemnt of vehicle require lot codeing work for if allow more wheel then has program the effects. It is most flexible at least to me.

Space empire last one which to me is not very flexible 7 tonnage restrant how many can put on.

But hey I just though aware of possible system when say  Customizable Units for it.
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Sl0vi

Customizable Units
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 08:19:49 PM »
Actually this has been done in RTS's before, quite a few really.

To name a couple:
Warzone 2100
Metal Fatique

There are more, but I can't remember them and there is no point in mentioning them. OP2 still pwns them tho :P
!!!YAY!!!

Offline thablkpanda

Customizable Units
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 12:51:32 AM »
I love this idea.

I agree with the presets; maybe a menu option (main menu) for unit customization/creation.

This is a great idea, but remember - how much wiggle room is there going to really be?

I mean what can you really customize?

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here..

-Chris

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Customizable Units
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 06:04:47 AM »
well as in earth 2160, all units have a basic menu button like normal. it builds the unit with the default features and if you want to customize later in the game, you can go to a menu to customize and add the custom unit to the build menu. this makes the feature usable because theres no point in having the customize window open when you havent researched the addons that require it. adding or subtracting wheels, changing the type of wheels or treads, power plant, WEAPON, turret type, chassis, etc. theres actually alot that can be done with such a system. it could be made as complex or as simple as we want. in earth 2160, you can even change the complexity of the window. you can set it so that you scroll thru short lists of addons categorized as land or air targeting, fast, powerful or default variants. it can be turned up to expert mode to allow you to scroll thru long lists of every type of turret, engine, power plant available.