Author Topic: Communication Posts  (Read 10866 times)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Communication Posts
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2006, 12:07:44 AM »
it would make attacking alot more dificult and would give a huge advantage to the defender
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Communication Posts
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2006, 08:18:12 AM »
that would make even less sense since pathfinding, accuracy and firing rate are built into the mechanisms of the unit, NOT the software or relayed communications from a savant computer in a building.

Offline Mez

Communication Posts
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2006, 04:27:51 PM »
the RCC is used to give the unit real time mapping of the planets surface, to allow it to find a better route. i.e. Without the RCC there is nothing to relay to the unit the topography.  instead the unit has to work out the best route from what its sensors can pick up.

With RCC, the unit can plan its complete, most efficient route
Without RCC the unit has to plan its route as it comes to obstacles, just knowing the co-ords it needs to get to.

In enemy confrontations, the RCC acts as the skirish command center as well as having more power to compile all the data given to it by multiple vechiles.  If the units had no RCC they would have to compile the data themselves/ between them (perhaps not enough computing power to compile the data, perhaps resulting in less informed decisions made by the units AI, due to lack of complete information?)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Communication Posts
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2006, 04:36:40 PM »
if this is a new planet that we came too from a starship, why couldnt we just have a satalite do the relaying for us?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Communication Posts
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2006, 04:58:13 PM »
Satellites have limited bandwidth and you need a clear view of the sky to link up with a satellite.

Also, you can't really service the satellite if you don't have a space program to send rockets up and do it. Stations on the ground are easy to service. Also, they can transmit at higher power levels since they can get fed power directly (through lines, or in the Outpost world, microwaves). Satellites have to collect it from space using solar panels.

As for communication posts, I think they're not that useful unless they're used for something like sharing intel between allies. (ex. you see what their scout sees, etc).

Offline Skydock Command

Communication Posts
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2006, 04:51:06 AM »
I agree. They dont have realy a good porpose for the game itself, but it is practical for outpost.
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.