13 (52%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
Just accounts with 0 posts
12 (48%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Account Deleting  (Read 5296 times)

Offline Leviathan

Account Deleting
« on: February 22, 2006, 12:51:03 PM »
Should we delete all accounts with under 6 posts?

I think so!

Offline Sirbomber

Account Deleting
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 12:52:08 PM »
If they joined today or yesterday, we probably shouldn't delete them though.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

Account Deleting
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 12:57:52 PM »
yea were only delete accounts that r older than 3 months. we went over this before in another thread.

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
Account Deleting
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 01:13:47 PM »
yup i agree ( wow first post in ages ) whel thats about it cya again XD
becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline Sl0vi

Account Deleting
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 01:17:35 PM »
in 3 months they should have been able to make 5 posts if they're even semi-active. You should take into consideration if they ever show up on IRC also.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Account Deleting
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 02:51:39 PM »
Just make sure you never delete accounts with more than 5 posts. And don't delete acounts of people who are active on irc.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Account Deleting
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 03:02:30 PM »
I don't know, it really should go by activity time.

Perhaps we could send a message out to all accounts which haven't been used in 3 months, and have them click a link to verify that their account is alive.. If they don't do this, then delete their account.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Account Deleting
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 03:24:49 PM »
I'm afraid of getting my account deleted. really. And in that case the reason would not be that I lost interest etc., but rather that real life got in the way.

Offline Mez

Account Deleting
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 03:32:27 PM »
0 posts in past 3 months no activity.  5 or less posts if no activity within the past year

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Account Deleting
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 03:51:33 PM »
well we dont want accounts that were at one time active to be taken away. people might not like that, people could be takeing a break from op2 for a while and come back and be pissed

Offline thablkpanda

Account Deleting
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 04:11:15 PM »
That's true - we've got members that haven't been around in a VERY long time, and would be thoroughly pissed to have their accounts deleted simply because they got bored of OP2, and decided to try out the rest of the world for a while.

I do that all the time with Diablo II. There's only so much you can do in that game and then not get bored with it. Especially after you reach the top, and essentially own 20 of every good item, and have one of every character build, even the odd ones. I got bored - so I quit for a few months, and return, and my gaming community has never once deleted my account. It's just a hearty, "CHRIS, you're back" all around.

I'd hate to come back to them one day and just have a 4k+ post count account be deleted and me have to start over...

I suggest we implement the system hacker mentioned. It'll PM the user, hence E-Mailing the user, which should get their attention if they have any interest in keeping up to date with OPU. I change my e-mail address all the time, but whether i'm active in Diablo II at the time or not, I notify that community so I can still recieve correspondence.

-Chris

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
Account Deleting
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 04:31:30 PM »
You should just move them to a "Inactive" group. Having a large number of users really isnt a problem. Plus, you can modify the userdatabase so that it has a "last post" field. (It may already have one) and then you can just move accounts (and not count them in the Member Count) that haven't had posts for X # of months or days.  And when/if they come back, they can just login, and it'll move them from on group to another (Actually, it'll just change their groupID field if the database follows the rules of normalization) =) So you get an accurate user count, and no one gets mad about their accounts being deleted!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Account Deleting
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 06:43:02 PM »
lev, if you haven't already deleted all the old accounts with 0 posts, I'm going to kill you!   lol

as Strong Bad says, "DELETED!"
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline zigzagjoe

Account Deleting
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 12:34:08 AM »
direct responce to topic: I think 0 posts can be safely deleted older than 1mo. perhaps ones that have made only a single intro post, and are over a year old. if they have made a post outside of the intro forum then its no-go.

no so much on topic: i would prefer garrett's system to deleting anything at all
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 12:36:14 AM by zigzagjoe »

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Account Deleting
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 02:14:04 AM »
lens them and cleanse them.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Account Deleting
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 07:38:40 AM »
You should just move them to a "Inactive" group. Having a large number of users really isnt a problem. Plus, you can modify the userdatabase so that it has a "last post" field. (It may already have one) and then you can just move accounts (and not count them in the Member Count) that haven't had posts for X # of months or days.  And when/if they come back, they can just login, and it'll move them from on group to another (Actually, it'll just change their groupID field if the database follows the rules of normalization) =) So you get an accurate user count, and no one gets mad about their accounts being deleted!
This is a really good idea actually. Then just have it not count the 'inactive' accounts in the user total.

And then as soon as they post or make an appearance, their account is set to active again.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Account Deleting
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 10:59:53 AM »
But what of the 91 accounts that have never been and will never be used?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 11:01:45 AM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
Account Deleting
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 12:59:23 PM »
Then their account will remain inactive, but will still exist.  Deleting the accounts won't really relieve stress on space, if thats what concerns you. Even with 100 inactive users, each with 20 fields in the database (which is an excessive amount), with each field containing 100 bytes of data, it would still only take 97kb to store the user information. So, there really is not point in deleting them. No advantage to removing them.  The only thing that can happen is an old OP2 player coming back, and finding that his username/post count/preferences are still intact.  So, will you spare the 0.09 megabytes?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Account Deleting
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 02:19:10 PM »
I can fit 26 games in that ammount of space...on my calculator :heh:
CK9 in outpost

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Account Deleting
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 07:28:46 AM »
there needs to be an op2 version of 'snake' using ore truck trains instead of a snake and ore beacon instead of food.

hmm. ill brush up on some basic actionscripts and get something going maybe?

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Account Deleting
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 12:09:52 PM »
You could probably use Flash to do that... I might even through something together. I like the idea... :) It shouldn't take more than a day or so to get working right... and by doing it in VB6 (yes, VB can be good for basic games like that), it should be able to work on everyone's computer (running Win32 of course).

I can see it now...  :heh:  

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Account Deleting
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 02:19:41 PM »
and make it so a nova comes on screen if you lose
CK9 in outpost

Offline cpsethgt

Account Deleting
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2006, 04:59:46 AM »
I'm still here!

I guess I'm an example of those people who used to go on IRC and only posted here once to introduce themselves, but are still planning to come back.

Offline Jgamer

Account Deleting
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 10:35:44 AM »
*ahem* I think that unless space is being a SERIOUS problem (from what I get for 100 users you use almost 100k, that's little) you don't need to delete accounts. Who knows? Most of these 0 post people might be just lurkers! I for one lurked without a single post in the old virtualave forums for nearly 3 months.
Then, I disappeared from here for two years and i'm back, that prooves inactivity may have it's reasons

NOTE: I know i'm necromancing this thread, but this is VERY important
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 10:36:20 AM by Jgamer »

Offline gamerscd0

Account Deleting
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2006, 08:01:53 PM »
Jgamer has a point this here will be my first post probaly this year OO
                                                                                                ----

but levi may need more space so its rilly up to him.   :op2: