Author Topic: 1.3.4 Bug Thread  (Read 5058 times)

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
1.3.4 Bug Thread
« on: February 16, 2006, 10:03:59 PM »
Post bugs you've found in the 1.3.4 OP2 update here.

There's some problems with the update:
1) Axen's home survivor fails to load. And then it suddenly starts working when you extract SurvAxen.map and SurvTech.txt from maps03.vol.
2) Pre-release demo colony games and multiplayer map don't work... unless you extract their .maps and tech tree .txt files.
3) In Zone Control (at least the 6 player version), player 1 isn't set up and he automatically fails.

And I'm still hunting down other errors.
Looks like we have to make a v1.3.41.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 07:33:23 PM by Arklon »

Offline Vexhare

1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 10:12:06 PM »
It doesn't even load on my computer, I still have to play 1.33.  :find:  (thumbsdown)  

Offline Mikeyboy

1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 02:17:07 AM »
it works on my computer, the demos dont really work but the cold war does it seems, but good work guys im impressed, hope the bugs are worked out soon

Offline Leviathan

1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 06:43:55 AM »
Yeah looks like this is bugy. I gess this is a Pre1.3.4. Hopefully op2hacker has some time no fix it today and repost. If not your have to wait till next week.

Ill go have a look at it..

You can still get 1.3.3 from here:
old_op2dl_complete.exe

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 01:51:11 PM »
It also doesn't work on my computer... (I have windows Me if that is the problem).

Offline Leviathan

1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 02:17:20 PM »
What are your errors guys? When it loads?

Also a note to everyone, keep 1.3.3 seprate thx.  

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 02:51:46 PM »
it doesn't start on WINE either (1.3.3 did). I have yet to try it on Windows 98.

Edit: it doesn't start on Windows 98. nope.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 04:19:23 AM by TH300 »

Offline Leviathan

1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 04:52:28 PM »
Just found bug in Imp Pie, it was compiled with ETD settings. lol.

also the zone control maps hav no units haha. and the spawning is messed up.

i need to fix these

thankfully i just need to do the dll's and u can overwrite the old ones, no need to repack the vols etc

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 04:33:56 PM »
I'm unsure if this is a problem with anything else but renegades, but i'm posting it anywayz:

The outpost-1.3.4 setup includes an "outdated" version of op2ext.dll
i say "outdated", because i have worked out some bugs together with op2hacker a couple days ago, and Renegades won't play correctly with the version that was included in the setup of op2-1.3.4.  In this case; "outdated" means: 38 minutes... not much, but enough to make the ModManager fail.

You can get the latest version on the Renegades download page
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Mez

1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 07:00:07 PM »
Doesn't seem to resolve hostnames in multiplayer e.g. mezza.no-ip.org
will only take ip addresses
Has happened to a few different people

Offline Vexhare

1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 10:18:27 PM »
Yeah I've posted on it a few times, but for my computer running Windows 98 SE the game fails to load.  Also, Renegades rules :0 on 1.33

Offline Leviathan

1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 04:36:40 PM »
u can currently only play 134 over ham

cuz natfix in it is broken

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 02:26:39 PM »
Well, I figured out why the game doesn't load on win9x/Me for some reason (and this hasn't happened to some people, some people running 98 have gotten 1.3.4 to run)

I ran a debugger on OP2 running inside of vmware with win95 loaded. It was failing when it got to the part where it loads out2res.dll (which contains no code, it just contains a bunch of resources like the bitmaps used for the grey frame, some dialogs, among other things). I called GetLastError and got an error code which corresponded to "An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format."

So essentially win9x is thinking that out2res.dll is an invalid PE image. (I had this problem with it on XP as well, but I fixed it by resaving the DLL from a resource editor). Apparently the DLL is still damaged to the point where 9x won't load it.

Anyway, the fix should be easy, I'm going to extract all the resources and recompile the DLL from scratch (using a .rc file and all that).

As for the natfix, I haven't had a chance to test it. I can't imagine too much went wrong with that (but enough to make the patch not work).

Offline Vexhare

1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 05:50:26 PM »
Well if we can get it to work on 98 I will be one hell of a happy camper!!

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 06:40:26 PM »
I wonder why you had to change the dll in the first place. can't you just take the orginal? its not like you modified some resources, is it?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 08:11:36 AM »
Well, remember that the game settings screen was enlarged. (And all patches were done on a fresh CD version, so we couldn't just copy the file from 1.3.3)

Update on the update (:P): It now runs under win9x. It will be re-released as soon as natfix is re-tested and the few missions that are messed up, get fixed. (Zone Control is one of them).

Offline washaw

1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006, 07:32:59 PM »
I want to thank everyone who has worked on Outpost2 and it's updates ...

I and my dad play this everytime I visit him, he has 2 computers set up, and it's about the only recreation he can do anymore (with his health)...

We usually don't engage in fighting or combat, we just select either a goal-oriented choice, or if it's an "anialation" goal, we create our own goal for the game, and the 1st one to reach that goal just announces it out loud and we end the game...

We use WIN98 on one computer and winxe on the other computer, so it will be great to get this upgrade when it's ready...

We absolutely LOVE how your version of Outpost2 plays over the original OP2.. it us SO much more fun...

Your work has given me and my dad many hours of fun time together.... I just want to let you know just how much your efforts mean to me... THANK YOU!! :)

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2006, 11:22:56 PM »
That's quite a story. My dad and I used to play OP2 together for hours straight over our LAN. I didn't know about WON or anything, and then I found OPU. I later got involved in OP3 Genesis and became an active member of the community here. It's a great place, and I'm really excited that we are touching the lives of people who cannot do much (like you and your dad). That means a lot to me (even though I don't work on Op2, I'm doing OP3), but I'm sure that's very special to people like hacker and the others who have dedicated hundreds of hours to OPU and OP2.

Thank you for your story washaw, I hope you can become an active member of the community someday...

stormy :op2:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 11:23:49 PM by Stormy »
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline lordly_dragon

1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 06:38:57 AM »
That's quite a story. My dad and I used to play OP2 together for hours straight over our LAN. I didn't know about WON or anything, and then I found OPU. I later got involved in OP3 Genesis and became an active member of the community here. It's a great place, and I'm really excited that we are touching the lives of people who cannot do much (like you and your dad). That means a lot to me (even though I don't work on Op2, I'm doing OP3), but I'm sure that's very special to people like hacker and the others who have dedicated hundreds of hours to OPU and OP2.

Thank you for your story washaw, I hope you can become an active member of the community someday...

stormy :op2:
Hehe I guess I am not the only one who played with his dad... he kick me really hard and he was the first of us to win the hard campaign (us relate to me and him). He was wayyy better than me in tactics.  

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 08:25:06 AM »
Can someone make a list as to what exacly was updated with exact details?

I want to keep tract and start a log, That way I can learn some, and help out more.

Things like how the cheets were disabled should be documented. Im thinking on writing a loader program that can have several settings available. I've noticed a few complainet about not being abble to use the cheets in single player, should be abble to choose what updates are enabled also. Like the no toobs mod on the guard posts, and what resources the trade center uses.

This log is a good idea as if someone ever leaves that does something to help update op2 then we will be at loss on how to fix it if the fix breaks in a later release

Offline washaw

1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 07:20:23 PM »
thanks stormy...

I love games of all kinds.. our family is a gamming family... board games, tv games, computer games... it's the comradery of people spending time together over a game that is fun..

I've tinkered with making my own board games... I have one chess variant that works well for example..

I also tinker with computer games... all the way back when Apple IIe was the hot computer to have!

I am currently working with FlashMX and I find it's easy environment plus it's easy portability to other people's computer to be very nice.. I have a small collection of "experimental" games I made as I learn FlashMX.. http://www.tony.arcticwebcreations.com

If you've noticed, I want to eventually make an online variation of NES's M.U.L.E. with Flash/PHP as well as a remake of MY personal favorite board game Starfall... I might also do a version of the board game "Merchants of Venus".. but I'm currently fleshing out my StoryMaker game....

I've tried my hand at C++, but it's abit too weildy for me.. I tend to be a sloppy programmer, and that language would eat me up alive as an appetizer!!!

As you might have guessed, I"m not really into the shoot-em-ups.. I'm more of an easy-going strategist.. my DAD however can annialate me with his weapons, so that's why we don't play with weapons on OP2, and just stick to a "goal" for winning the game...

OH, I remember my dad mentioning that he was disappointed that the CHEATS are no longer available for these upgraded versions... He really isn't good enough to get thru all the single-player games without the cheats, and had asked me about it.. I didn't know to tell him anything other than they just aren't available anymore..

I was curious as to why the cheats were removed.. possibly to make the code tighter?? I can understand that.. I'm not complaining, mind you.. I was just curious is all...

I'm totally flabbergasted at the level of programming involved with OP2... it is a beast to weild, I'm sure... I have enough trouble with the little dinky things I make, I can't image trying to manage the amount of code y'all have to handle for these....

Anyway, sorry for rambling about.... just another post of THANKS to the many people who keep the torch lit... they certainly don't seem to make games that contain this perfect blend of map, colonizing, developing, and strategy in an easy to use interface that can get a game going and done within an hour of play.. THANKS AGAIN!!!

PS. I have kept up somewhat with OP's history, and I have a few thoughts y'all are free to use if you find them useful...

I think it might be possible to create a multiple planetary exploration/conquest type of game.... here are my thoughts..

1) for the starting planet, it would be identical to the current OP2
2) Create the conditions that a colony must reach, at which point it becomes a "self-sustaining" entity... beyond an unstable colony, maybe call it a Station
3) Stations no longer need detailed attention, and become part of the larger scheme..
4) multiple planets, and their stations, become a 2nd game... a station can launch "colony" ships that reach nearby planets and start new colonies
5) A station can also launch war ships, and exploration ships (taking ideas from the Starfall game)
6) ships flying between planets can be moved about in space, you could maybe use OP's existing code and make a "star" map instead of a terrain map, and move "space ships" about, instead of tanks...
7) A warship can take out a station completely just like a tank can take out a building

just some ideas... :)

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 08:02:37 PM »
I think it might be possible to create a multiple planetary exploration/conquest type of game.... here are my thoughts..

1) for the starting planet, it would be identical to the current OP2
2) Create the conditions that a colony must reach, at which point it becomes a "self-sustaining" entity... beyond an unstable colony, maybe call it a Station
3) Stations no longer need detailed attention, and become part of the larger scheme..
4) multiple planets, and their stations, become a 2nd game... a station can launch "colony" ships that reach nearby planets and start new colonies
5) A station can also launch war ships, and exploration ships (taking ideas from the Starfall game)
6) ships flying between planets can be moved about in space, you could maybe use OP's existing code and make a "star" map instead of a terrain map, and move "space ships" about, instead of tanks...
7) A warship can take out a station completely just like a tank can take out a building
Nice ideas! They sound alot like the Op2 Colony wars project.

But it looks like putting that all in one program, then hooking it to a server to make it multiplayer, would be comparable to a rewrite of op2. Perhaps the easiest way to do it would be to set it up like the world domination game. Then you would only have to make the mission dlls and update the website.

We should be able to make a space tile set for Part 6), but the units can't be changed as far as i know.

Well, if you ever need someone to write missions with goals built into them, either for this game or for other use, I could do it for you.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 08:03:34 PM by Mcshay »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2006, 08:29:32 PM »
Cheats were removed because people used them in multiplayer (Yes, the game designers were dumb enough to allow them to work in multiplayer).

It has nothing to do with tightening the code, it's only 1 byte that was changed actually. It's because it's a way for people to get an unfair advantage and make the game less fun for everyone else.

Cheats are what killed gameplay on WON, if there werent't so many people on WON who cheated perhaps more people would have used it.

Anyway, this topic is to discuss bugs in 1.3.4, not new mission ideas and such.

Keep on topic please.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 08:29:56 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Nightmare24148

1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2006, 02:49:19 PM »
Well it DOES run on Linux Fedora Core 4, albiet a little slow.

But thats perhapos because I have to get real ATI Radeon drivers, and not the provided ones. Also this WINE version is a couple months old. So when I install Fedora Core 5, the latest WINE, and real Radeon drivers, Ill tell if it works well.
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
1.3.4 Bug Thread
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 02:52:04 PM »
.. Did you post this in the wrong topic by mistake?