Author Topic: Government Stupidities  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Government Stupidities
« on: January 25, 2006, 02:47:26 PM »
This week, after testing it for the past 3 months, the traffic information service "discovered" that traffic problems have increased on the major highways in Holland, after they (=the government) had reduced the speed limit on the highways around the large cities from 120 or 100km/h down to 80km/h (=50m/h).

They actually thought it would REDUCE the traffic. Instead, highways show a 30-100% increase of traffic jam lengths. In a response the government stated: "It is too early to draw conclusions, we will wait until this summer before we start reviewing the project results."

[URL: Translated from Dutch]

(thank god i switched jobs... i already HATED there new speedlimits)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 03:18:50 PM by Eddy-B »
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Government Stupidities
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 02:50:05 PM »
LMAO!  They should have consulted California.  Here, we measure distance in time.  Lower speed limits = more time, higher speed limits = less time
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Government Stupidities
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 02:55:15 PM »
THATS how they checking it now: they photograph each and every car passing the checkpoint. Then about a mile further there's a second checkpoint. Speed=distance/time
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Government Stupidities
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 04:19:52 PM »
I have to agree with you there.

I live in an area where there are no interstate highways (or freeways of any sort, for that matter) so there are no roads with a limit of more than 55 mph (80-90 km/h).
However the roads are used just as much, if not more than, your typical freeway, so everyone suffers.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Government Stupidities
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 05:29:31 PM »
then you have to worry about the people trying to go on side-streets
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Harky

Government Stupidities
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 04:53:05 AM »
Meh the cops are not very common here.. i drove on the highway fo aobut an hour doing 180 (80 km/h highway) and didnt see one car :/..

Offline Leviathan

Government Stupidities
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 05:03:36 AM »
bush attacking the world tade center was prity stupid but thats what goverments (defo the us gov) do to get their way.

Offline siqueule

Government Stupidities
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 06:12:38 AM »
In french, we have had a similar think: the speed limit in the highway was passed from 130 km/h to 115 km/h to economize the fuel: they have given up because nobody respected this new limit...

as when the governement would oblige the automobilists to roll with the lights lighted all time, nobody lighted the headlights

as when the leave of the pentecôte was transformed into a work day without wages to help the olds peoples: juste a few persons was going in the work this day...
in any way, the collected money disappear in the cases of the State <_<

it's cases of collective conscience  :rolleyes:  
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Government Stupidities
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 11:40:51 AM »
*makes a mental note to take French for the foreign language requirement*

lev, could you elaborate on your meaning?  I don't remember anything about BUSH attacking the W.T.C.
CK9 in outpost

Offline Leviathan

Government Stupidities
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 12:34:28 PM »
bush attacked WTC so he could get public support to go2 war with iraq to get hold of oil

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Government Stupidities
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 06:40:34 PM »
bush attacked WTC so he could get public support to go2 war with iraq to get hold of oil
Bush didn't attack the WTC. I do believe that he was aware of it and let it happen. And he didn't get any public support from anyone to go to war with Iraq because of the WTC. That was Afghanistan... and even still, there wasn't much public support (except the republicans in the country... and even they thought he was an idiot).

As far as Iraq, it was mostly unrelated. He went to war because of "hidden bio weapons"... it was clearly for the oil and I'm inclined to agree with the original reason for going there (the oil) but I don't think we should be there any more.

Anyway, just to show the idiocy that is bush:

"I will use the national reserve of oil to reduce gas prices"... first, a gross misuse of the national reserve. Second, it hasn't helped any: We're at $3.00 a gallon and it's climbing.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Government Stupidities
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 06:48:35 PM »
Some day, in the dictionaries, there will be a picture of Bush next to the definition of "dumb".

Offline thablkpanda

Government Stupidities
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 07:58:55 PM »
Well everyone knows about the google issue- Complete Failure or some synonym thereof gets you President Bush's homepage.

Imagine that..

Chris

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Government Stupidities
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 08:16:25 PM »
it was probably the democrates that are responsable for that.  If you go to the California home page, the only links to state representatives that work are the ones for the republicans, and the govenore is republican.  I seriously doubt it's a coincidence

CK9 in outpost