Author Topic: To Players Of Runescape  (Read 17472 times)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
To Players Of Runescape
« on: January 12, 2006, 02:18:25 PM »
From the site news today:

12 January 2006 - Nearly 5000 RS-classic accounts banned  
As regular classic players will know the classic game was being seriously spoilt by players breaking rule 7. We won't let cheats spoil our games, so we are currently permanently banning nearly 5000 accounts which our system has flagged as using macro software in breach of our rules. RS-classic will be brought back online once that operation is complete.
We recommend all players make sure they are aware of our rules, which are there to keep the game enjoyable for our millions of players. We simply won't let a small minority spoil the game for everyone else. If you don't know the rules already then please make sure you Read them here!

As you know our focus these days is on the main RuneScape game which is far more advanced than RS-classic. The main reason we are keeping RS-classic online at all is to support some of our loyal players who have been with us for years and want to play the old version of the game they are used to. We've therefore decided the best way to stop the cheats just creating new accounts to cause trouble in RS-classic all over again, whilst still supporting the loyal players who have been playing RS-classic fairly for years, is to close RS-classic to new accounts. As such only accounts which have played RS-classic at least once in the last 6 months (since it went members only on August 3rd 2005) will be able to do so from now on. This allows the currently active players of RS-classic to continue playing, whilst keeping out the cheats trying to spoil it.

The latest and greatest version of RuneScape - which 99% of our players use - of course remains open to everyone (except rule breakers). It has much better anti-cheat technology and we will also be taking a strong stance against rule-breakers in the current version of the game, but without the need to restrict account signups.

Damn, that's a LOT of accounts

CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

op2rules

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 06:42:57 PM »
Ehh, runescape is easy to hack/cheat on, so its not that much, dumb game anyway, and also to everyone out there, im back for my entire life, i havent been on in about a year but now im back!!! (thumbsup)  

Offline omagaalpha

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 06:45:55 PM »
lol so true after for like day or two I was like this game sucks and that 2 years ago lol
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 07:08:58 PM »
lol, it has changed a LOT since then, so, unless you actually try the new one, your comments on it are irrelevant :P
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

op2rules

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 07:23:10 PM »
Actually its not that bad, i just call it dumb because its so addictive! I actually used to be a member,  till i got a little too poor and played it a little too much less!
Hey,i have so gotta get you msn!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 08:27:49 PM »
I'm never on msn

I'm a mem on RS2, and i'm having a lot of fun
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 06:05:02 PM »
Hi, my name is Hooman, and I'm an addict.

:P

Sorry, just had to add that.  :lol:  

op2rules

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 06:07:37 PM »
Oh, well... maybe i could add you on f/list on rs? whats you username?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 06:53:29 PM »
I've already posted it, and hooman's is kinda obvious
CK9 in outpost

Offline CK9

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 07:10:55 PM »
woah, even more people being stupid, this time on the main servers:

19 January 2006 - Over 15000 RuneScape accounts banned for cheating  
We have just banned over 15000 accounts from the main RuneScape game for breaking rule 7, and attempting to use software to play the game automatically for them.
We can detect this type of cheating VERY easily. Suprisingly some people seem to think they can get away with this, but we're making absolutely sure you can't.

As well as having new systems to detect people cheating in this way, we are also using a new system to go through and ban other accounts used by these cheats, so they can't just cheat on a 'throwaway' account they don't care about, and expect their other accounts to be unaffected.

We will not let cheats spoil our game for everyone else. It's just not fair on our millions of legitimate players to let a selfish few try and spoil the game for everyone else.

CK9 in outpost

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 07:45:37 PM »
We can detect this type of cheating VERY easily. Suprisingly some people seem to think they can get away with this, but we're making absolutely sure you can't.
Had to laugh at that one.

If they can reverse engineer your program, it's dead simple to make it play like a human would. You can't 'detect' cheating unless it's something that the game couldn't typically do.

Even a bot that played the game for you is a bit harder to detect (if written properly. Of course you could detect if it's bombing the server with 100s of game messages per second, but you could slow it down to a reasonable level).

But oh well. Just another reason to put down crappy games like RS and play more OP2 :) Where there aren't idiot cheaters like that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 07:46:08 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Sirbomber

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 07:48:51 PM »
Argh, Runescape... I knew I'd hate that game just from hearing it's name...
Yes, play more OP2! OP2> Runesuck.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Sl0vi

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 08:53:24 PM »
ahh.. runescape, yeah I remember playing that game for a couple of hours... never tried any game that boring before...

Still nice to see a company banning cheaters. They are in all MMOG's, and they can become a big enough problem to ruin entire games.

Atleast the cheats in OP2 have been disabled! :D
!!!YAY!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 10:10:23 AM »
Even a bot that played the game for you is a bit harder to detect (if written properly. Of course you could detect if it's bombing the server with 100s of game messages per second, but you could slow it down to a reasonable level).
you know anyone willing to waste time ding that? :P

seriously, you guys put down RS, and the only one any you have played was the old one (which did suck, actually, it was very poorly done).  But I guess it's easier to put down a game you suck at like that one guy who wrote a review for OP2 who couldn't even beat it on easy level.
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 06:57:21 PM »
Lol, nice reply CK9.

Yeah, Runescape can take a while to get into. If you've never played it before, and don't know anyone who has, then it'll probably be boring at first. It can take a while to really get a feel for the game and figure out how it all works.

That and people object to the graphics. I know they're terrible, but I kinda love that. I like how they spend more time on the gameplay and expanding what you can do rather than wasting all their time on graphics. Graphics can help get people interested in a game initially, but it's the gameplay that usually keeps them.

Besides, what's not to like about being able to make your own weapons and armor? Or pretty much anything else you want.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 08:11:44 PM »
BTW, hooman, the other day I decided to do some farming.  When I tele'd to the ectofontus to get to the allotment there, I found quite a nice assortment of items.  Apparrently, someone had been to waterbirth island and got hit just as they were leaving.

What they dropped:
glory ammy (3)
ring of wealth
5 dagganoth hides
torag helm (0)
granite sheild
abyssal whip
obsidian cape
super set

the second I saw that whip, I dumped anything I could replace later, lol
CK9 in outpost

Offline Sirbomber

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 08:15:08 PM »
I played it no more than 6 month ago, was good at it, but just hated it.
It's an MMORPG after all...
All you do is run around trying to get your little guy stronger.
Eventually you come to a point where you don't even need to try anymore.
OP2/etc no matter how big your army is with a decent opponent you will always have a challenge.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline CK9

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 09:49:41 AM »
bomber, I've always focused on the quests.  Now that I finished every last one, I lvl stats while waiting for the next new one
CK9 in outpost

Offline Gagagigo3

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 08:36:23 AM »
Man if i don't say this i get crazy, THAT GAME SUCKS... srry for those fans outta there but i don't like that game although i liked it 6 years ago but TIME CHANGES you know.
Extinction is just the beginning.

Check this out, it rocks

Offline CK9

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 10:07:24 AM »
LMAO!  Then you must have died a lot :P

You are entitled to your opinion, you just have to be ready to defend it with good support if you state it.
CK9 in outpost

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2006, 10:07:45 AM »
It's an MMORPG after all...
No no no no no.
"MMWRTOWT". Massively Multiplayer With Retards Online Waste of Time.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2006, 03:08:35 PM »
Aye, there are some idiodic people who play it (which is why those like me play with all chat on friends only).  However, Arklon, if I were a retard, then that would make you brain dead :P
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 04:44:28 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2007, 05:12:27 AM »
Well, I finally got a skill to level 99 the other day. (Fletching).

Yes, I've finally mastered 1 out of ... 23 skills? Kind of sick since I first started playing that game about 5 years ago. Mind you I play it somewhat sporadically. That and fletcing is a members only skill, and I only first got members about 2 years ago (and only during the non school months).

It's really hard to level in this game once you start getting up there. Once I hit about 85 or so, I figured I'd finally just go all the way and invested a lot into that one skill. I got enough supplies to make over 73500 yew bows. I made all the bow string from flax, cut all the logs into unfinished yew bows, and strung most of them. I still have about 17000 left to string. Then I get to high alch them all and get my money back (and a little extra). I have enough runes to high alch about 35000 of them. The total value for them all will be about 56 million gp.

So yes, thus ends my fierce competition with my brother (for that one skill anyways  ;) )

Yeah, that game is a big time sink.  :unsure:

Offline james239

To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 08:28:24 PM »
Aye, I play for a while, then do something stupid, die, lose a lot of crap, then swear it off for a while, then, i'll become bored, play for a while, get some decent stuff, and the cycle continues. I'm currently on the sworn-it-off mode, but I might come back soon.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
To Players Of Runescape
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2007, 01:30:58 AM »
That's why I go for stats over items. You can't lose your stats.

Plus, you generally get high stats quickly and sutainably by using really common and mass produced items. They're generally easy to replace if something bad ever does happen, and I tend to minimize any sort of risk by just not having very much at a time. It's sort of hard to lose more than an inventory full of cheap items unless you have them noted for a trade, or maybe a bunch of semi expensive combat equipment if you die during a quest or whatever. I never bother with very expensive combat equipment (and for quite a while didn't have any).

So yeah, I like dealing in things like flax, normal logs, oak logs, yew logs, and iron ore. None of which is particularly traumatizing to lose an inventory full of.