Author Topic: Oputool Ends Development  (Read 6678 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Oputool Ends Development
« on: January 04, 2006, 03:54:44 AM »
Seeing that OPUTool is not used by anybody (except myself), I'm going to shut down all work on it. There's no need for me to continue to develop a project that nobody's interested in. Besides, it means that I have one project that I can consider finished and leaves me with more time and less headaches... :)

It's been fun.

NOTE:
=====================================================
Please note that I have closed all topics minus this one. If users wish to post new topics, the forum will remain open.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 03:56:40 AM by leeor_net »

Offline omagaalpha

Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 06:05:05 AM »
Well now you will have more time for other projects now. So get more further on them. :P
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline spirit1flyer

Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 12:16:54 PM »
I use it  :(  

"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline omagaalpha

Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 02:57:58 PM »
Nice to know how many people use if could all them don't post stuff

Offline Sirbomber

Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 03:01:06 PM »
I didn't use it because I didn't think it was ready yet?

I was waiting for you to finish it... My mistake, eh?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 03:38:11 PM »
Thank you for all your work for OPU :D

Can the OPU team get the source code project please?

Offline lordly_dragon

Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 08:06:52 PM »
opportunist levi... i wont argue on that one but sound more like thank for working on a thing we needed instead of us... now can you give it ? i may be wrong but.. enyway

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline omagaalpha

Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 08:33:20 PM »
lol lev is it more approiate to ask that type of question privately (like pm)instead of post for all the world to see (for lordly_dragon is right kindy does sound that way)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 08:34:37 PM by omagaalpha »

Offline Leviathan

Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 08:58:37 AM »
Well if Leeor does not want to keep going on the project i hope the OPU team will. Me being one of them. No point in just leting a project totaly end which has had a lot of work done on it :)

Like colony wars. ive done a lot of work on it so im not gonna give up on it!

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 02:04:52 PM »
I didn't actually give up on OPUTool. It just doesn't seem to be generating any interest so I figured that it might be in a 'done enough' state to call 1.3.2 finished.

However, if people are actually using it, than there would be sufficient reason enough to continue with the project. There are, after all, several feature requests that still need to be added, I need to fix the 'phantom pin' code (actually, it's due to shoddy programming... whoops).

I formed my decision as to whether or not to continue based on the poll that Levi had posted. It seemed that very few people used it. OPUTool does what I need it to do so it just seemed appropriate.

BUT, I see no need to discontinue work on OPUTool if there actually is interest in it. I guess it's up to everyone else.

Also, if I'm going to keep working on it, I really need input from people to know what it is that I can add/fix that would generate more interest in the project.

So maybe OPUTool isn't discontinued... :) For now though, I'm going to open up a new feature/functionality request forum so that I can see what it is I need to add to OPUTool to generate more interest.

Offline omagaalpha

Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 06:15:28 PM »
lol now that I reread leoner's  post he never did say way discontiued it lol. AS me is never got irc to work right for me so since tool was irc useage I fringe reason for me to use it.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 05:47:07 PM »
Well, I had originally thought to implement basic IRC abilities until WON/SIGS could be replaced but then decided that mIRC worked very well already so why reinvent the wheel?

I scrapped it and have now gone on to start creating a new SIGS/WON type protocol for me to use with OP:MIA/OP3 and hopefully later to extend its use to OP2.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 06:33:20 PM »
I personaly have the tool, but don't use it, because I have established a system of my own for using various opu programs and outpost series programs. If the tool had a version of sigs/won that we all can use, I would gladly switch over to it. I think that sigs/won support would get the entire community using the tool.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 06:40:03 PM »
I agree. I'd keep it working leeor, I just don't use it (I used to, but I can't use it like a normal internet browser, so it makes me have to have more windows open).

I think that sigs/won support would make ppl use it :)
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 01:30:50 PM »
Well, please note, everybody, that OPUTool will not actually implement SIGS/WON in its original form. It's a large and complex protocol that no one truelly undestands except the developers of it. Hooman who's been hacking it to death has some understanding but not complete.

What I will be doing instead is to create a NEW protocol called the NCE:ON (neptuneTECH Computer Entertainment Online Network) that I intend to use for ALL of the games that I create and release to use the new protocol. As more of the SIGS/WON protocol is understood, I will be (hopefully with the help of others) find a way to integrate the SIGS/WON protocols used in OP2 into NCE:ON. This way OPUTool will have an easy way to log on to NCE:ON and launch any of the OUTPOST games that a user has installed (including OP2, OP:MIA and OP3:GEN).

The current version of OPUTool has a quick demonstration of what the NCE:ON user interface will look like. It's not particularly functional at this point. But it's still a preview...  (thumbsup)  

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 09:35:26 PM »
Hmmm, just a small idea, why not ask one of the programmers if they can bring some light on how it works. A little bit a knowledge from a person who understands almost all (not sure if they would remember) of how it works. For example if you guys email Dan maybe he can tell you who made the protocol. After that you guys can contact the person who made it and move a little bit further.
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 09:54:41 PM »
Good idea Oprime :D

I second that  
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Oputool Ends Development
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 10:35:47 AM »
The problem is that Dynamix didn't write any of the internal code to the SIGS/WON stuff. SIGS/WON protocol was developed by an external company that apparantly was contracted by SIERRA to create the SIGS/WON interface. It was supplied to Dynamix or SIERRA in an SDK format (or so it appears).

Also, I'm not the one actually fiddling with the SIGS/WON stuff. That's Hooman. So I'd reffer that back over to him... :)

I'm more concerned about creating a modern protocol that includes NAT traversal. Exactly how NAT traversal is accomplished is beyond me at this point but that's not a permanent condition. There are plenty of resources out there.