Author Topic: Design Docs(how Do Write One?)  (Read 1715 times)

Offline omagaalpha

Design Docs(how Do Write One?)
« on: January 02, 2006, 06:04:41 PM »
I know use to plan out game & save lot time by make one.(no has redone code millian times.
I alays thought design docs should try stay in list format but recent read some where that usually more paragraphs.  So guess my question is what bast way going about when writing one?

Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 09:24:09 PM »
Writting a Design Doc (a complete one at least) takes some time and isn't actually in list format. Granted, there are definatly points where you want to list things out (for example, what options would be in a menu or what elements need to be on screen at any given time) but for the most part, Game Design Docs are litterally documents detailing the entire concept of the game, how various components work, etc.

They also include the technical aspect of generally how the engine would work (these parts are usually done by the system analysts). The game designer would write the more general information such as the story, how screens would look, mission information, items, scoring systems, UI, etc.

Design documents range from a single page to hundreds of pages, depending on a) the program being designed,  B) the level of detail necessary to describe exactly how the program will work and c) the quality of the design doc.

After I've done some more work on OP3's design documentation, I'll be happy to either post or send you a sample of what it looks like.

Hope that helps...   (thumbsup)  

Offline omagaalpha

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 05:24:18 AM »
hehehe thanks, now all need do get self take idea games actual at least create design docs for them.
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.