Author Topic: Networking  (Read 3217 times)

Offline Leviathan

Networking
« on: December 29, 2005, 11:24:58 AM »
Ive got a network at home (no supprise) but the thing is we have two internet connections. So currently we have two seprate networks, two routers, two DHCP servers.

I would like to combine the networks into one but not have to set IP and network info on each machine, I'd like to stick to auto assign info and get the info from the one DHCP server.

I would like for the DHCP server to give the ip of gateway router of the main internet connection to all machines which get connected to the network but for some they should be given the ip of the other gateway to use the other connection.

I have a server up 24/7 and I could install Windows 2003 onto that. But do I need to?

Also ill be adding wireless soon.

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Networking
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 01:45:06 PM »
you need to set a computer to route between the two networks, or just connect the two routers together and set the upnp on both routers makeing on e the master and the other the slave

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Networking
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 02:58:02 PM »
I suppose you could have a computer or router that has both connections into it then come out as one.  

maybe you could have one server and have the 2 internet connection bridged then share them out as one network.

I dont really know i am just guessing at this point.  

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
Networking
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 05:56:09 PM »
There are routers that preform load balencing which make the 2 connections seem like 1. An example of this would be ISDN 128Kb which is actually 2 64Kb connections connected as one. I think you can connect a total of like 28 ISDN circuits to make a uber T1 circuit (I think it's called PRI ISDN haven't seen that in a long time tho). Try a google a search there might be some devices that can do that with cable, ADSL, or Lan connections.

*edit* forgot to put in that it's also done with old school dialup connections also cuz of how slow the connections are. It's call multilink and you need a expensive modem with 2 ports on it. With multilink each line shares 1 IP address but uses 2 mac addresses. The multiplexer on the other side can then send 2 packets at once to the modem thus raising the bandwidth. Only prob with that is that it's very expensive considering you need 2 phone lines and a ISP that supports it. Multilink connections most of the time have static IP's btw.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 06:08:30 PM by Oprime »
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline Leviathan

Networking
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 06:20:03 PM »
Well after some talking on irc i relised the easyist way to do it, and ive now done that :)

It is as follows:
Leave the main router to DHCP.
Disable the second router's DHCP.
Manualy setup network settings for any computers that are going to use the second router's internet connection.

So my download server has manualy setup settings and other machines auto get a address from the main router and use that connection.

/me is pleased :)

I also drew a quick network diag. My network looks something like this some of the time ;)

Thx for the help.

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Networking
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 06:51:49 PM »
"some of the time" ?
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz