Poll

The following are the five names we decided upon. Now it's your turn. What do you want 'Bob's name to be?

Ares
2 (6.3%)
Cythera
16 (50%)
Epsilon
7 (21.9%)
Gaea
4 (12.5%)
New Hope
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: The Planet 'Bob'  (Read 16906 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 10:37:55 PM »
I havn't given too much thought about a moon but I think one or two might be cool.

In answer to your question, DM-Horus, it's from the movie "Aliens"

As far as New Hope, I liked it personally a whole lot. Had I not found out about the whole Cytheran thing I would have voted for that (I never linked it to Star Wars actually, and dispite Stormy's belief that I hate the series that's not the case {i liked ep 4 and 6} )

I would think it would be neat if 'Bob' had two moons but doesn't New Terra have two moons? Otherwise one might be cool... maybe one that's been blown apart by an asteroid strike and then the pieces came back together due to gravity (I think there's a moon in our current solar system that's like that).

Anyway, I've been real sick the last week and a half or so and that's why I've been inactive recently... I'm working on it though! :D

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2005, 04:21:49 PM »
two moons would be Awesome.

Call them Alpha and Omega

Alpha is a relitivly new moon kinda small tho.  Maybe half the size of our moon.  Omega would be a older moon.  It would be bigger then our moon.  But it would have a large chunk missing with some of the fractured remain still near the moon that tend to fall into the planet of Alpha from time to time.  :D

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2005, 04:51:29 PM »
if we have moons I think somthing greek would be cool

ive always liked the names for mars's moons phebos and debos fear and terror, mabe somthing along those lines
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2005, 05:00:16 PM »
LOL maybe onr of the moons can be named Tethys i am sure the op2 coders will get that one.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2005, 06:16:16 PM »
You mean Phobos and Deimos? That works very well... for DooM... But I don't think it'd work well for 'Bob'.

Anyway, what's the signifigance of Tethys? Just curiousity.

Alpha is a relitivly new moon kinda small tho. Maybe half the size of our moon. Omega would be a older moon. It would be bigger then our moon. But it would have a large chunk missing with some of the fractured remain still near the moon that tend to fall into the planet of Alpha from time to time.

Interesting idea but how would 'Bobs' moons have formed? I image it would have been similarly to Earths... which means that it would have had to have been a VERY long time ago. The older moon would have had to be VERY large (like the planet was split 1/3 2/3 or even closer proportions) with an inner core that was still hot and molten when it suffered a catasrpohic collision with a huge asteroid that formed the newer moon.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 06:17:56 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2005, 06:21:36 PM »
Tethys is a name or some thing in the OP2 code for DLLs i think.

Howevery Tethys is a moon around Saturn.

They forum in he ways that are avalible Rouge Asteroids Chunks of the same planet. or 2 planets that formed to close to each other and the smaller one became the moon.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2005, 06:30:15 PM »
So then all sorts of ways... cool. I'll keep that in mind. The smaller moon, if we so choose to go along this path, would probably be a rouge asteroid that was caught in 'Bob's gravitational pull... possibly even the asteroid that blew apart the older moon.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2005, 01:29:30 AM »
what about rings?

Offline Leviathan

The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2005, 06:26:22 AM »
Anyway, I've been real sick the last week and a half or so and that's why I've been inactive recently... I'm working on it though! :D
Great to hear :)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2005, 01:32:05 PM »
rings around the planet?... I dunno. It sounds interesting... reminds me a lot of Qo'nos, the Klingon homeworld. The moon got too close to the planet and ended up being ripped apart. Only problem is that the rings are unstable and ended up crashing into the planet several decades later.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2005, 06:30:40 PM »
Rings around the planet i would think of that has a rendering thing how much would it take for a computer to display some rings that dont look like a solid sprite image.  I think you would have to toss rings out because it would take to much computer power to display them.

I like that idea about the smaller moon hitting the older one :).  
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 06:32:57 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2005, 12:40:18 PM »
Actually, rendering that would not take much rendering power at all. It's a matter of using a material script that blends two 'ring textures' together and then slowly scrolls them. The only problem is that the rings would most likely not be visible from the surface of the planet. Only from orbit. Not to mention that any planet with a ring, no matter how inviting it is, would be extremely dangerous to enter orbit around. Those rings are not completely confined to an acretion disk... you've got planet of rogue's flying around that would easily rip the ship apart (if nothing else, cause extreme explosive decomression).

Yeah, so if I was an AI deciding on a planet, any terrestrial planet with a ring around it is completely out of the question. But that's just me.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 12:40:57 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2005, 06:10:50 PM »
We could have moons with rings. Those could be modeled quite easilly, using the material method ,

or when you're on the planet, having basically a "sprite" of the planet with dynamic lighting being displayed on the Sky Dome.

Dynamic lighting because if you have day night on, you'll get the right look for that. OR you could make it less realistic and make about 4 versions of it. The game would switch them out each time the "time" changes.

Anyway, I don't want to get too technical in here :P
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2005, 10:56:45 PM »
I don't think rings would work. As I had already stated a terrestrial planet with rings is a planet that's doomed... rather, a colony on a planet like that will most certainly be completely destroyed.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2005, 12:30:27 AM »
Rings dont work well with moons because there gravity is so low.  I think the same might be true with small planets to.

How ever the moon that was hit and scarred.  Should have some Debrie following the same path as the moons orbit and around the site of impact. just to give it that touch of Certain doom if it some like that lands on a CC.

Flying through a ring would most definatly be insane.  if one micro meteor can bring down a space station today if hit in the the right spots.  and it crashes to earth.  A ship flying through would die or be so horribly mangaled that there would be no hope of a atmosphereic entery.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
The Planet 'Bob'
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2005, 03:28:04 PM »
Well, the colony ship itself doesn't make an entry into the atmosphere until its orbit decays enough that it crashes to the surface. There are colonist and cargo landers that bring the people and cargo to the surface. The ship provides small amounts of power for a short time (beaming it down via microwave) until it de-orbits and crash-lands.

Debris that would still be remaining from the impact on the larger moon would have either settled back down to the moon, impacted into 'Bob' or would have remained in 'Bobs' orbit as the space junk around our planet today.