Author Topic: Colonists  (Read 10502 times)

Offline Leviathan

Colonists
« on: November 28, 2005, 05:12:21 PM »
Thread for colonists releated topics.

Well firstly ill say that produceing and training colonists works the same as op2. each nursery produces a set number of children and each univ trains a set number of children into workers.

i will most likey to to scientist training the same as op2 where you set workers to be trained into scientists.

as for colonist classes there is children, workers and scientists but would we wanna add more? i was thinking of advanced worker. what i mean is scientists would be the most highly skilled colonists that would work at labs and do research and would also be required at a few other structures. but as buildings in colony wars are going to be needed more colonists to run each of them because they are much larger i think each may need a advanced worker who would be like that structures manager. workers could be trained into advanced workers at the univ just like scientists.

what ya think? and and other ideas?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 05:13:10 PM by Leviathan »

Offline Leviathan

Colonists
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 06:25:04 PM »
So do you think there should be a structure where you train workers into soldiers? if so what should it be called?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Colonists
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 06:29:29 PM »
Soldiers are really not very Outpost style. I'm not so sure about the advanced worker idea either. It doesn't sound different enough. Maybe colony leaders? Need 1 to run a CC or something. So if you wanted multiple bases, you'd need to train leaders.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Colonists
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 06:29:35 PM »
you mean a foreman or supervisor? a "commandante." (sp?) i like that idea. that would even work into my upkeep idea :P the larger structures require more of them as they have more workers which have to be managed.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 06:31:20 PM by dm-horus »

Offline Leviathan

Colonists
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 06:34:02 PM »
i was thinking just one per strucutre mostly and the strucuters are the same physical size.

Hooman take a look at the research thread to c why ive suggested soldiers.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Colonists
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 06:35:56 PM »
what do you think would be the prereq's for the leaders and soldiers? im not sure an infantry option would be all that exciting but it would help alot with the building capture issue.

Offline Leviathan

Colonists
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 06:44:18 PM »
lol i wouldnt have infantry, they would just be used in the strike teams.

as for a colonist class of cc leader/manager maybe u havta train basic worker to advanced worker then to cc leader/manager. All done at one training facility i think, the univ.

and u could need one cc leader/manager for each cc u have.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Colonists
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 07:24:18 PM »
sort of an overseer. what would the advantage of these guys be? what is their death rate? im not sure how this would work unless you had a larger demand for them. a colony with only 1 or 2 wouldnt really have much need for them as it is assumed that the PLAYER is the leader. right? if otherwise, thats more like a simulation like simcity.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 07:24:41 PM by dm-horus »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Colonists
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 07:30:47 PM »
mabe they would allow for automatic coloney micromanagement, such as the AI that could be developed in op1 (fixed this time), so you could make one that will build agradomes whenever you need them, or one that would automaticly train scientists when there is an excess of workers, or even one that will maintain your defence army (you cant make them attack, but having one oversee defence while you are off attacking might be a nice touch)
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Colonists
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 10:32:32 PM »
Maybe you should just stick with the normal colonist types. This is starting to seem like scope creep here. Either that, or make it so the number of types of colonists (and what you call them) are all settings stored in a file somewhere. Then it'd be easy to mod the game to add more colonist types. Or remove them if the idea turns out to suck later on down the road.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Colonists
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 12:27:30 AM »
Well a place that would have soldiers would be called a Barracks.  I have to agree with hooman and say that Soft fleshy targets arent really a op2 thing.  

Children Workers and Scientics is all you really need if you add to much micromanagement the game would just start to seem anal and boring.

Offline Leviathan

Colonists
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 01:04:51 AM »
Well Horus the idea would be you just need one for a CC. Its just a requirment for it to be active like you need workes and scientists for it in OP2/ Same with advanced workers/overseer u just need one for each building to be active.

Offline lordly_dragon

Colonists
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 08:52:58 PM »
we could have 4 kind of colonist

scientist
worker
children
combat technician (who is kinda controling the troups)

i explain my idea of combat technician

lets say
lynx = 1 pts
panter= 2 pts
tiger=3 pts

when you set an attack each combat technician that you assign to it will give you 10 pts so with one technician you could send 10 lynx.

when in defence lets say you have 1 technician and 11 lynx then 1 of the lynx would have a penality

what do you think

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Colonists
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 08:56:09 PM »
thats what the rcc is for, you have a dedacated savant series computer controling the vecs, and it can do a better job than any persion
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Colonists
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 02:11:36 AM »
well I  always wanted several types of scientists and workers

min to max ranking

unskilled labor <- highschool drop out highest death rate and project lags

slave worker <- stolen worker from other colonys requires union master to keep working

student <- still learning makes mistakes causes some lag if taken out of training and put to work high fatality rate in mass groops working together

inturn<- more fatality rate then student but less lag

graduate "Skilled laboror" <- makes projects go faster less deaths

Union master <-oversees workers makes shure they are on task and being safe
lack of these means more deaths and delays in things being built and reshearched

scientist in training <- may blow up a lab if taken out of training

scientist <- gets things reshearched on time dies if put in unskilled labor job or causes mass lag in job. can train students up to graduate

Professor <- needed to train scientists and students. professors can not be trained they are just old scientists

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Colonists
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 02:56:37 AM »
Moogle

WORKERS SCIENTISTS CHILDREN

Dont need all the anal redundant bull s*** when they can all be summed up in 3 catagories.

Offline HaXtOr

Colonists
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 06:29:13 AM »
but im saying you can make catigories of the different types of colonists to make things more interesting as there wont be big flashy battles and such

Offline Leviathan

Colonists
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 07:04:53 AM »
Personaly i like the idea of possibly having a few more class's but i sure dont think we need that many.

What do people think about the idea of captureing colonists and having them work for you?

Offline HaXtOr

Colonists
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 10:27:10 AM »
it could be a use of a survayor run up to your opponents base then steal a few colonists then run away
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 10:28:01 AM by HaXtOr »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Colonists
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 11:57:38 AM »
would this invovle the assault team again?  Because thats it the only way i see it happening.  Unless you mount a net launcher on a scout and snag any people that happen to be outside.  

How in the hell would a surveyor do that its for finding mines not covert ops.

Offline HaXtOr

Colonists
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 12:04:53 PM »
I meant to say scout

Offline lordly_dragon

Colonists
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 12:17:33 PM »
you know the combat technician could be use with the rcc so the rcc would be more''creative'' because  computer strategie are never adaptative  

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Leviathan

Colonists
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 12:51:50 PM »
You have to have a RCC for every set amout of units, eg one RCC for every 500 units. And the RCC needs workers.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Colonists
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 02:25:45 PM »
howabout the classes in op1? not sure what they are though

Offline Leviathan

Colonists
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 02:57:46 PM »
Firsly ill say its more based on the OP2 world and also we dont want too many classes. But what do people think about a few more?