Author Topic: Spaceport  (Read 8218 times)

Offline Leviathan

Spaceport
« on: November 27, 2005, 03:46:07 PM »
In OP2 u use spaceport to send all the stuff upto spaace and stuff.

But what should be the uses in Colony Wars?

Solar Satellites , Yes.
Spy Satellites, Yes.
Missiles, Yes.

Use for the other stuff that op2 has?

Any more ideas?

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Spaceport
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 04:45:10 PM »
What about starships?

Offline Leviathan

Spaceport
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 04:49:12 PM »
Yes what about them? What do you think the point in having the starships that op2 has in colony wars is?

Or building a space coloney like Betaray suggested? That could be very cool :o

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Spaceport
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 04:50:18 PM »
they will have to be huge to be able to transport armys, hundreads, mabe thousands of times larger than the dinky one built in op2
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Leviathan

Spaceport
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 04:53:30 PM »
Yea. Well i was just gonna have two types of ships currently.

Cargo ships which are like cargo trucks but carry much more and fly over the planet. So using these is much much faster than sending resourses to others using trucks. These will hold a set amount of cargo.

Transport ships which are ships that hold any type of units you like. These will be used for attacks. So using these is much much faster than driving your units to war. These will hold a set amount of units.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Spaceport
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 04:55:15 PM »
so how will multiple factorys be used in this game

if you have more than one space port, will it allow you to produce 1 ship at a reduced time, or multiple ships at the normal time, or both?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Leviathan

Spaceport
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 04:58:11 PM »
erm.. having a 100 factorys does not mean u can produce 1 unit 100 times faster but it does mean you can produce 100 units at once.

as for your example you can use each spaceport to produce one ship at one time as long as the buildings are active.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Spaceport
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 06:40:37 PM »
i was gonna say use spaceports as REAL space ports. ships coming and going, typically transferring cargo or resources of some sort probably to other players. i also like the idea of space labs. theres a lot of technology around today that would never have existed if experiments werent performed in the shuttle/iss/mir. rockets could be used to send resources to these labs which require a certain amount of ores to perform their research per item, ala starcraft/homeworld2. how would the player world be set up? would it be possible to construct reconnaisance satellites? if so, id really like to see a fancy global surveyor option. the satellite can zoom out so you can see almost the entire side of the globe, but you wont be able to make out any fine detail. zooming in to the maximum would allow you to see enemy bases, etc, but you would have to take your time scanning the globe by hand to find them. this would balance the feature out. i know that one of my goals in my earth 4 mod for op2 is to make the playable maps MUCH larger than in op2. i think it would be add more action and suspense to the game if you had much more area to search. this would mean that bases could be bigger if desired, and hiding a small mining operation in some hills would become a standard tactic. since earth 4 has excellent view distance and LOD feature, having a massive map wouldnt really hinder performance. i mention this, because id like to see some larger playable areas in op2 and colony wars, although in colony wars it sounds like the globe (or more) is your playable area :)

Offline Leviathan

Spaceport
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 07:00:00 PM »
there is no real map in these web games.

each colony is the same distance away from one another expect the colonys in your own sector.

nice idea tho :P

as for space ports if u check the building thread there are trade centers which do this. where ships would land to unload/load cargo.

keep on topic plz.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Spaceport
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 12:01:56 AM »
What about some sort of space mining? You could launch some sort of mining ship to collect resources from another planet in the system. It could be some sort of resource that isn't available on the planet where the colony is, or that isn't available in large quantities. It could take a while for the ship to return with the cargo, especially if it's going to mine at another planet, but once it comes back it'll be filled with useful bounty.

The idea of colonies on other planets sounds cool, but I suspect that will be a little hard to work into your game. Seems more like an idea for a Colony Wars II. You probably don't want to overdo it on your first attempt, and a feature like that sounds like it would be cause for a whole new sequel. Or maybeyou have a brilliant idea about how to do this that I just don't see.

Offline Leviathan

Spaceport
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 02:02:37 AM »
It will be just like SK in the fact that you just control one empire, and that will just be one colony for the time being.

I like the idea of remote planet mineing. What i was thinking was you would have to setup your space station first. Then build a mineing operation on the other planet(s). Once that it setup you can send cargo ships to it to pick up the resourses and bring it back to your space station and to your colony to be used.

Also what i was thinking to simpifily things the remote mineing operation would include a space station and a small cargo ship which would auto pick up resourses from the planet and drop them off at the mineing space station. You could then collect the resourses. Also you would be able to setup orders for ur cargo ships so they could auto collect resources from the mineing space staion and bring them back to your local station.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Spaceport
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 02:28:23 AM »
Well basicly I see a space station taking away from a colony game that is on the ground.  I would say stick with the missiles and sats.

Add the Edward sat it could be used to increase the percentage of finding rare and heavy mines (yes this pretains to the idea i suggested in the mines thread)

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Spaceport
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 02:10:30 PM »
yeah, I think an EDWARD sat would be cool as well.

The idea of transferring stuff between colonies is cool, with the spaceport. Rather than just being a place to launch starship parts or missiles.

As for starship, one way you could work it in would be a different mode of play. For example "space race" OPCW version where the first person or team to make a complete star ship wins and causes the round to end.

Or maybe the team with the most complete, or highest number of starships at the end of a round of predetermined length.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 02:10:55 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Leviathan

Spaceport
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 03:30:05 PM »
Yea good ideas, and outpost like. That would make a good use of spacepot tech etc.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Spaceport
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 05:12:57 PM »
cargo transports for transferring to other players/colonies.

Offline Leviathan

Spaceport
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 05:19:13 PM »
yea ive mentioned them but ill post a unit list

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Spaceport
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 10:57:55 PM »
I'm sorta reminded of Dune 2(000) here. It allowed you to order untis in bulk at a spaceport. You got them all at once, and at variable market prices (sometimes nice and cheap) but you had to wait quite a while to get them. It didn't detract from the game at all. Just waited a while and it told you the shipment had arrived, and they all pile out of your spaceport.

Granted, the above idea doesn't quite work here. But I can see it working with the mining trips. Send a ship off to mine, and wait until it returns with a large pile or rare resources. You'd have to spend money to prepare the ship for launch, and you'd be without the use of the resources you put into it while it was in transit, but after a while when it returns, it should hopefully pay itself off. I guess you can even throw in a chance of a disaster taking out your ship.

That idea for winning a round that Hacker suggested sounds like it could work nicely.

Offline Leviathan

Spaceport
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 12:53:26 AM »
What about the fuel resourse for the ship? Where would that come from?

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Spaceport
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 01:00:57 AM »
A fuel sorce for the ship could be a ION Drive that uses nuclear fuel instead of Hydrogen.  That way you can add a nuclear disaster because one fell out of orbit :).

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Spaceport
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 03:44:19 AM »
You'd have to spend money to prepare the ship for launch
That is, you use resources mined from the planet you're on to fuel the ship so it can make it to the next planet. Maybe just make it cost regular ore, but brings back rare ore or something like that. Granted I don't know of any rocket fuel made from ore, but I'm sure you can think of something. I mean, if you have power planets, you can force chemical reactions and make high yield fuel from other substances. Maybe find some reason to make them spend ore, like a non reuseable booster rocket. Or ore getting used up in a chemical reaction that produces the rocket fuel.

Offline Leviathan

Spaceport
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 04:39:10 AM »
Oh yea good point. The fuel can be produced from ore at the spaceport for example.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Spaceport
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2005, 11:25:39 AM »
sounds like there needs to be some kind of refinery for all the fuels that you need to make for this game lol.

Well from raw minerals you can make gunpowder rocket LOL.

Nasa uses a combo to launch there shuttle.  Solid boosters on the side and a liquid Oxygen tank the big one.

Offline Vexhare

Spaceport
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 05:41:20 PM »
Well a grand idea for the spaceport would be like 4-5 actual pads for rockets to land and launch from. One for a satalite launch vehicle, one for a starship launch vehicle, one for a "combat" transport, one for resources incomming (remote mining stations, maybe on meteors or moons or wherever), also maybe an EMP missle launch station. You could designate what each pad is used for and perhapes have several spaceports to increase efficiency. It could go so many directions. Just a suggestion  :heh: