Author Topic: Re-posted From Op3 Genesis Forums.  (Read 16415 times)

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Re-posted From Op3 Genesis Forums.
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2005, 12:18:52 AM »
Hey Harky, Don't worry about Op3, Feel free to talk to any of us on the Core Team. I'm sure everyone would be more than glad to help you sort out the rumors and whatnot.

I don't think people need to worry about the storyline as the outline document hasn't finished it's final ... rewrite I should say (and hasn't been released either!)  :heh: . It is quite long though, and that's why it's taking a long time--That and we dont have a lot of time to work on it :P

To harky and Everyone Else. If a fight occurs, it is my duty to stop it. I'm not going to let the flaming continue, and i'm sure the other admins agree with me. Do not worry about getting flamed for your idea! :D I (and everyone else) REALLY want to see your idea and have things to think about. It really makes MY day to see people talking about ideas and getting along happily, and I'm here to help. So, don't worry about anything..

stormy :op2:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 12:19:29 AM by Stormy »
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2005, 12:27:28 AM »
remember, there are no stupid ideas, just stupid people

lol jk
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2005, 12:32:05 AM »
The Ops are always watching to  :ph34r:

Personally i dont think there should be much of a tie to OP2 its a different ship diferent planet (possibly in a different system I hope).  I think it will be more od a parelleism then a continuation or off shoot because basicly the ships left at that same time.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2005, 12:45:31 AM »
ok, so new ship new planet, new conflict

when it comes to conflict, ive read alot in fan made nolivias, but what about the game itself? what will you be fighting against, since only ply or eden escaped (even if both did, it would be stupid having both ships land on the same planet, if nothing else, their political leaders wouldnt allow landing with the enemy)
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline Stormy

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2005, 12:55:42 AM »
That's the fun part!

You'll have to wait and see! :D

(and no, it's not space aliens or the blight lol, not on BOB anyway...)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2005, 01:51:22 AM »
Yes, I definately think something new needs to be thought up here. Blight is old news and doesn't need to be carried from planet to planet, so they can destroy every one they colonize. Nor do they need the blight as continued reason to get them off their butts and go colonize another planet. Colonies splitting up and starting a war seems a little over used too. But hey, I guess it may be human nature or something. Aliens? Yeah, sounds a little far fetched. Does there even need to be the same focus on combat? The aspect of combat does seem to add interest to the game, but I've sorta felt in the past that combat was tacked onto OP2, and I often enjoyed the sim city building like aspect of the game more.

Oh, and that whole savant/blight combo stuff just doesn't do it for me at all. I'd rather see some crazy rogue scientist keeping samples of the blight around that, naturally, gets loose on the colony. But, if this story is of the other ship launched from Earth, that just doesn't work.

So yeah, I'm dying to see what you guys have got for a story, because anything I think about, well I just can't seem to see how I'd ever turn it into a good story. But hey, I suck at writing. That's probably got more to do with it than anything else.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2005, 08:04:39 AM »
You know, I really don't like this whole "Earth built two starships! No, really, they did; I said so!" thing, since Outpost 1's whole thing was that it was too late to build a second starship. Outpost 2 isn't exactly a sequal to OP1 (or they'd have been leaving whatever planet they landed on). I alwasy kinda thought of OP2 as a better OP1. So, OP1 and OP2 have the same storyline. Therefroe, in neither of the two games could Earth have built two or more starships.

I appreciate the work going into this, but I'll be really disappointed if it screws up the Outpost Storyline.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Stormy

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2005, 10:37:06 AM »
It's more than what you see, There are in fact, multiple points of view in this storyline, and yea.

Sirbomber, it's truly hard to explain (for me it is) WHY and HOW two ships were made, but I will try.

Actually, I might post the preface of the outline here (with everyone else's approval) so everyone knows what's going on.

Offline lordly_dragon

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2005, 07:19:33 PM »
:P great this sound like i will have some work to do  :P

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2005, 08:39:09 PM »
persionally I would like for the coloney games, and mabe even certain multy games, where you start off with the phenux module landing instead of starting out with a fully deployed base, like in op1

also dont forget, the new planet will be equiped with 10000 common mettels, 10000 rare mettals, 10000 food, and the edward sat, solar sat, a weather sat, and a com sat, wich sould help balance out the diffuculty of starting out with one unit instead of an entire coloney

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
also dont forget, the new planet will be equiped with 10000 common mettels, 10000 rare mettals, 10000 food, and the edward sat, solar sat, a weather sat, and a com sat, wich sould help balance out the diffuculty of starting out with one unit instead of an entire coloney
I thought this was going to be about the other ship (Frontier?).

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2005, 10:26:54 PM »
well if we are baseing it on the starship launched from new terra it was equiped with those amenities, i dont know, you could say that some of them were lost in an explosion or a meterioite impact or a malfunction or something, but thats what the starship left with

Offline Stormy

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2005, 12:19:10 AM »
I don't want to mix up the names, but I will refer to them as this.

Conestoga1 is the one that came from earth to Terra. OP2 ship
Conestoga 2 is the one that goes from terra to bob. OP2 to Op3 ship
Frontier is the one that came from earth . <<< Op1 ship

The other leaves from Earth. The one that comes from earth is Conestoga one.

Frontier has the same tech you started out with in Op2, but it's basicaly a seed colony.

Conestoga 2 has all the new things you guys are referring to, such as 10,000 ore of each type, 10,000 food, and all the satelites.

I hope that explains a lot. :)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2005, 12:55:48 AM »
exactly, so how will this be carried over to op3 or not?

I mean realisticly it would, but it wouldnt be fun starting out with all the resorces of a full fledged coloney, for me persionally, I get the most fun when im still building, and my coloney isnt fully establised yet, wich is why im pushing for the seed coloney

Offline Stormy

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2005, 01:19:29 AM »
Betaray, there is one aspect of the game that you will start with a seed colony. There are others that you would start with a full fledged colony. Some, you'd have parts of a colony, etc. A little of Everything is how I see it.

(guys, correct me if i'm wrong... please)

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2005, 04:12:42 PM »
The "Conestoga 2" (op2 ship) was the Phoenix Voyager. Or at least the Eden ship anyways, not sure about Plymouth's ship.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Stormy

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2005, 04:35:33 PM »
Conestoga 2 goes from Terra to "bob" btw...

Offline zhukant

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2005, 04:59:10 PM »
I thought it was Connestoga, with 2 n's?
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2005, 06:31:53 PM »
Lol. That's getting pretty picky here. But hey, as long as it's right in the final document.

Also, I'd like to point out that in OP2 there is more than one colony, and there is also relocation of the colony. So following along those lines, there should be ample opportunity to build a colony from scratch.

Offline Stormy

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2005, 07:40:07 PM »
Yep.... The children (ppl born on Terra) from both colonys are pulled together, and the elders (ppl from earth) stay behind. Note: the elders merge also! So, there is a terra group, there is the children (on the Conestoga II), and then there is the other ship that is just coming into the story. I hope this makes sense.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2005, 07:51:38 PM »
No, it doesn't. I have no idea which ship is which.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2005, 10:21:31 PM »
Clarifying a few things:

Dynamix did not come up with OUTPOST's concept. Bruce Balfour working for SIERRA On-Line did. I have read a book that Bruce Balfour wrote about the OUTPOST series (actually, it's called the OUTPOST Strategy guide. It's less of a guide rather than the science and story behind the game). So anyway, it's off of his backstory to OUTPOST that the second colony ship from Earth comes in.

Conestoga was the first Colony Ship and it was launched from Jupiter.

Frontier is the second colony ship that was built by the same mutlinational conglomerate from Earth.

Conestoga was not compeltely finished when it was launched from Earth. Actually, it was less than half finished. They took the hulk to Jupiter to finish building it there and to fuel it.

The multinational conglomerate from Earth originally called for FOUR (4) star ships to be built and launched in pairs to two different star systems. This ended up being far too costly and besides, no one could say for sure that humans weren't going to survive. So they scraped the idea and only started with one ship.

Well, as Conestoga was on its way to Jupiter (takes several months to get there), the multinational conglomerate said "Whoopsie!" and decided it would be a better idea to build a second starship. Due to the mass hysteria and fanatasism that occured when they announced the construction of the first Colony Ship (Conestoga), they decided to keep this one under wraps and not say much about it.

Conestoga was finally finished being built. The crew had already been flown to Juptier a few weeks before it was finished and had been living aboard artificial gravity stations nearby. They launched.

By this time, Frontier was also nearly built. The Multinational Conglomerate finally hand-selected the second crew of 200 and quietly launched them into space. Frontier was finished and the systems tested at pretty much the last minute. Frontier's engines were started and the huge ship began moving as Vulcan's Hammer came close enough to see.

The rest we all know. What happened to Frontier has yet to be disclosed.

Anyway, if there are other questions feel free to shoot them past any of us. I'm in a more relaxed mood lately so I don't think I'll freak out like I did before.

Offline Stormy

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2005, 02:00:23 AM »
Thank you for cleaning that up leeor_net.

Guys, what happens to Frontier will be disclosed later as he said :)

Any suggestions now? Still confused? :D

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2005, 03:30:18 AM »
ok. so in original outpost 2 colony ships are launched. one is secret. which of these is shown in the opening avi in op2? is it the third? or did op2 simply ignore some aspects of op1 and redesign the prologue for the purposes of the op2 story??

i think there needs to be a bit more discussion on linking op1 and op2 starships. unless im just not seeing it:P it is 2am x.X

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2005, 04:29:44 AM »
ya i think op2 story was different and ignored some of op1.