Author Topic: Outpost 3 Wanna Be  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
Outpost 3 Wanna Be
« on: November 18, 2005, 04:04:44 PM »
Earth 2160 is an excilent representation of a Space based RTS. This game seems like it could've been a good base for Outpost 3. Check it out Earth 2160

Also take a peek at this Screen shot. Doesn't it look like 2 emp lynx going pass some lava on new terra O.o

PS. take a look at how the map is represented in the screen shot
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 04:12:33 PM by Oprime »
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost 3 Wanna Be
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 04:39:45 PM »
No it doesnt lol looks like 2 6 wheeled dune buggys to me with a dual turret on top.

Plus you also have to realize that most games that involve combat vecs are going to have simularities even if the makers never seen op2 or any other game.

that game looks ok but im not going to play it lol i am waiting for OP3.  STORMY GET TO WORK :P

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost 3 Wanna Be
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 04:51:35 PM »
yea I agree

*gets out cattle prod*
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Outpost 3 Wanna Be
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 07:04:17 PM »
Haha... I'm working!

This week.. I have a WHOLE week off. So, I can get plenty of models done.

I think that with a little work, OP3 will look as good as, or better than that!

stormy :op2:
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Outpost 3 Wanna Be
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 06:13:23 AM »
lol.... i just now noticed this thread. go check out my zuxxez bashing thread. the sdk for this game might as well be a golden fleece.

btw stormy: "LOL!"
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 06:14:22 AM by dm-horus »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Outpost 3 Wanna Be
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 03:20:50 PM »
I can almost garantee that OP3 will look better than that. We're using a very modern, powerful, highly optimized and portable refresh engine that is capable of DooM3/Quake4 style graphics (possibly better if the right GPU programs are written).

Anyway, by the end of 2006 (sometime in December) the game should be mostly finished. The refresh is already done and that's what usually takes the most time to get working and then to optimize to get it working fast.

It's now a matter of content creation, input/sound programming and then coding the rules that the game operates by (e.g., how the camera moves, what the units do, what research trees are like, etc.).

One of the problems that I've been juggling around in my head is the power or lack thereof of a lot of the GPU's that many OPU users have... Because of that I plan on leaving a lot of detail out so that users with Graphics Cards older than GeForce MX400 (or equivalent) can still play the game. This will hinder a lot of the graphical intricasies that would be impleneted (e.g., unit mesh geometry having a polygon limit of 2500 rather than 800 and world geometry being 180,000 polygons rather than 45,000).

Of course, I could just simply forget about that and require a GPU equivalent of a GeForce FX 5800 (I only really know the nVidia cards because I hate ATI... no room for debate here, we can do that on IRC sometime).

So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on that particular subject. Maybe we'll post a poll of some sort before too much work has been done. It would require that users upgrade their graphics cards in order to play... <sigh> Oh well... such is the modern computer graphics world.

However, one thing that will be very usefull is the ability for our refresh engine to switch between standard program rendering and running GPU programs for extra power (depending on the hardware) so it could be a simple matter of creating high-resolution models and then enabling levels of detail so that users with less powerful cards could still play with some decency of visual effects.

I do blather on sometimes, don't I?  :heh:  

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 3 Wanna Be
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 06:40:57 AM »
Sounds totaly grat :D I didnt know it was gonna look that great :)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Outpost 3 Wanna Be
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 01:36:55 PM »
There was a discussion at one point on IRC. I think both Hacker and Horus had asked why the refresh engine's rendering abilities needed to math and possibly rival that of DooM 3... well, the simple answer is that the engine design for OP3 is totally modular. To create a FPS from OP3's engine means simply rewritting the Logic Module... nothing else.

I designed OP3's engine so that I could reuse it for several other projects that I have, two of them being commercial projects. To me, writting an engine that focuses primarily on one type of genre is a waste of time and resources. So I designed it to be extremely flexible and easy to apply to another genre.