Author Topic: Webhost Problems  (Read 4681 times)

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Webhost Problems
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2005, 02:56:29 PM »
I've already took to the new website, by updating some wiki pages.
It also seems other users have done so as well. Good job!
[size=8]Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1[/size]
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Webhost Problems
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2005, 04:18:46 PM »
Oh, by the way:

If you're using the new server, please tell me if you have any problems with slowdowns, crashes, or things just generally not working right.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Webhost Problems
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2005, 07:46:33 PM »
... I don't know if I like all of these changes. I might just host all of my sites (rather, host OP:MIA/TOOL and OP3) on my server and just provide links...

Still though... something's not sitting right with me...
- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Webhost Problems
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2005, 08:23:46 PM »

What do you mean by that??

I don't particulary like having www.opu.uk (the uk at the end). I don't know, it just seems like if we have a .uk thing (suffix?), everything is based in the UK. I'd prefer to have a .com  or .net so it isn't "location" oriented, so you don't know exactly where one person is in the b eginning. :lol: Yes I did hear something about it being cheaper. Someone posted a link showing that you can buy a .com for less than a .uk. Oh well, it is in the past now. Leeor_net, is that wat is not sitting right?

Stormy :op2:
`..`..`..`..`..`..`..
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline spirit1flyer

Webhost Problems
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2005, 09:00:32 PM »

I think I know just what you mean. But I can't put it into words  
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline zigzagjoe

Webhost Problems
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2005, 10:00:26 PM »
I belive the plan is to switch outpostuniverse.net to that server when its all ready. [and frankly, i kinda like the small name for exatly that: its small]

I will continue to mirror vids on my server.

Offline Leviathan

Webhost Problems
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2005, 06:13:45 AM »
Whats wrong Leeor, spirit1flyer ?

Ya the domain was cheaper. And its short like people wanted. Other TLD's were allrdy taken. Unless we lose Punboys hosting we will have no need to have files on other locations as the main place to get them.

It would be nice to hear some thanks msgs.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Webhost Problems
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2005, 01:10:47 PM »
hm, the hosts file might exist at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

(it does on XP)

On 9x/Me I think you can create a new file HOSTS with no file extension in the windows dir. If you're making one from scratch also add this line

127.0.0.1 localhost
How do you make a file from scratch? I thought I knew how, but they are comming out as text files still...

I already have a HOSTS file in the WINDOWS directory (with everything it needs to work). But it doesn't :(.

Edit: I'm stupid, I needed to name in "HOSTS." not "HOSTS". The fourms work now!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 01:12:26 PM by Mcshay »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Webhost Problems
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2005, 03:38:21 PM »
... I don't know if I like all of these changes. I might just host all of my sites (rather, host OP:MIA/TOOL and OP3) on my server and just provide links...

What is it that you don't like?

We will still host people's projects. As for things like OPU tool and OP3, no big deal. They don't consume a lot of space and bandwidth.

To be honest, the changes probably won't affect many people (only people with large amounts of files or large bandwidth utilization). I can only think of one or two such people.

Large files like the OP2 videos will be distributed via BitTorrent or something similar.

And yes, if we still have hosting here we can place some files here.

Yes, we are going to transfer the outpostuniverse.net domain to the new server once all the bugs are fixed.

The changes shouldn't affect anyone really, most people probably won't notice much difference.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Webhost Problems
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2005, 03:53:29 PM »
Hmm ok, that's good :)..

Thanks (for what i don't know lol, fill me in here :P)

Stormy :op2:
`..`..`..`..`..`..`..
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Webhost Problems
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2005, 06:06:46 PM »
Hmm, it all seems a little fuzzy still. But it's nice to see things are getting fixed.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
Webhost Problems
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2005, 06:07:26 PM »
Other than the webspaces still not working, I don't know what other bugs there are.

I think one of my concerns is the personal MySQL stuff. For the DevBoards I kinda need it. I would rather have my OP3 DevBoard on OPU rather than my neptuneTECH server. I mean, that's why I've got the neptuneTECH server: not to have OPU stuff on it.

Plus, there is the UK thing. Not sure why that bugs me but I guess I'll get used to it.

Another thing is that with OPUTool, I'll have to make changes to the entire source code. I think though, that seeing that changes are inevitable, I will probably make a constant string in the global code... something like

Code: [Select]
Dim localDomain as string

localDomain = "http://www.outpostuniverse.net"

and then concatenate the domain URL with whatever else... it'll make updates a hell of a lot easier when OPU decides to move domains again... I guess I didn't think of it when I started OPUTool (never occured to me).

I guess the best thing I can say in terms of my "Still... something's not sitting right" comment is that domain name changes and moving has always caused me to get nervous and feel uneasy. Chances are once we move to wherever I'll just get used to it and then I'll feel fine. I dunno... it was just something I needed to say I guess.
- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Webhost Problems
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2005, 06:44:26 PM »
I'll repeat myself one more time.

We are NOT getting rid of the www.outpostuniverse.net domain. We plan to point it at the new server when everything's done.

So after that we will have two domains: www.opu.org.uk and www.outpostuniverse.net. Nothing will be different between the two.

The OPU Tool won't need any modifications - we have mysql on the new server, and will continue to host people's projects there.

Like I said, most people will see no change whatsoever. outpostuniverse.net will always continue to work.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 06:44:55 PM by op2hacker »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
Webhost Problems
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2005, 06:47:58 PM »
So if I typed in: http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.ph...rch&CODE=getnew

It would point me to the exact same place on the new domain?

That's my question in particular.

As far as the SQL stuff, OPUTool doesn't make use of MySQL but OP3's DevBoard (developers forum) does. Will I have access to a MySQL DB? We also have another section of the developers part of the OP3 web space that uses a seperate SQL DB. Will we be able to use 2 or more SQL DB's?
- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Webhost Problems
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2005, 08:10:14 PM »
So if I typed in: http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.ph...rch&CODE=getnew

It would point me to the exact same place on the new domain?

That's my question in particular.

As far as the SQL stuff, OPUTool doesn't make use of MySQL but OP3's DevBoard (developers forum) does. Will I have access to a MySQL DB? We also have another section of the developers part of the OP3 web space that uses a seperate SQL DB. Will we be able to use 2 or more SQL DB's?
Yeah, it would go to the new domain. It'd take you to the same files on the same server.

And yeah, you'll have access to a mysql DB, and more than one if you need. There'd be no problem at all to set that up.

----------------

In other news, all the OPU subdomain accounts have been restored.

You should be able to login using the password you were assigned when we first created the account.

Note: Some users will not be able to login, because the password had to be changed to something different than what it was when the account was created (because of a new cPanel policy for passwords). If you have any problems with logging in, please notify one of us and we can tell you your current password and/or change it for you.