Author Topic: I Want To Be In On This One!  (Read 6167 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
I Want To Be In On This One!
« on: October 10, 2005, 10:34:40 PM »
I started creating my own Colony Map for OP2 and I forgot about this forum!

Spirit, I'll definatly want to present this map to you once it's done! :D

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 04:46:59 AM »
Ive started a simple one also. Its on greenworld, but ill probly need help if it is to get done. Realy i would like to make a small campaign on greenworld.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 04:47:13 AM by Leviathan »

Offline spirit1flyer

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 09:43:53 AM »
I started creating my own Colony Map for OP2 and I forgot about this forum!

Spirit, I'll definatly want to present this map to you once it's done! 

Thanks  :)  you are the first one who said they were doing something to make my idea happen. do you want to be added on the team?

its not easy learning how to code a working colony game since there are no working models only a bunch of Dll files  <_<  

Ive started a simple one also. Its on greenworld, but ill probly need help if it is to get done. Realy i would like to make a small campaign on greenworld. 

thanks Lev I am glad to hear you are working on one too. I have never used the greenworld tiles its not in the map editer  

spirit
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 11:54:20 AM »
Well, I guess it depends what you mean by coding colony games. The map I'm creating is a colony builder game so I'm not looking to program anything of any particular value (like missions etc.). Basically, you have yourself a minimal base in which you begin building your colony. There aren't any particular victory conditions, just survive is all.

The only thing I could think of that would require any real programming work is the AI scripting for random enemy attacks although I don't think I'd be worried about it for the colony builder mission I'm thinking of. Random disasters seem relatively easy (actually, it's kind of a plug-n-play system if you think about it).

My thoughts for this map in terms of difficult level is the number of disasters, the type of disasters and maybe random morale hits that become more frequent during disasters. E.G., when a structure such as a Nursery, Medical Center, Residence (standard/adv) or recreational structure's HP is less than 100%, some form of morale hit occurs. The degree of the morale hit would depend on the difficulty level.

Of course, this particular map is for the people (like me) who just want to play a Colony Builder and not have to worry about attacks from a computer AI. I KNOW that I'm not the only one who would enjoy a map like this.

Also, as an added bonus, I could very easily have the resources on the map have randomly generated coords each time the map is played. Or, as time goes on, have new sources spring up (like maybe every 10000 turns or so one more resource of a random sort spring up (some more random than others)).

I think these types of maps would add a lot to the game and would make for some very interesting colony builders. As far as a space builder is concerned, it's easy enough to set the proper conditions to make it a space builder program and whatnot.

Offline spirit1flyer

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 12:56:10 PM »
well I am trying to code more of the fighting colony games but we do need some just expand type games.
The thing I have never liked about the colony games is you get to a point were you can't expand faster than your colony grows.

spirit
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 02:26:31 PM »
What I've been looking into lately, a generic AI that could be adapted to any map, and easily changed to allow different personalities.

This would take a long time to code though -- It is possible though.

An AI that works in this manner would consist of a rough script that it follows, basically building up the base, making weapons, attacking, and if extra ore is available, expanding the base. Enemy actions would alter the string of events. For example it would have to judge which thing is the most important task to be doing (for example, if the enemy's building up a sizable force and it seems like it's going to attack, building a counter-force is more important than creating remote ore bases, or, in the case of a colony game, creating residences / managing morale).

As for random enemy attacks:
I've done some research into the Pinwheel. I haven't really posted much about it, but it basically involves sending different pre-set groups of units onto a map from the edge, waiting at a certain point for all the units to group together, then set off in unison to attack a specific point on a base. After the attack is finished (if the units win), they leave the map at a preset point.

Basically it's a 'set it and forget it' sort of thing. These traveling units have no home base, but just come off the map edges.

As for greenworld maps: Please read the wiki next time before posting -- it will answer a lot of your questions.
As for setting up the editor,
http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Making_Greenworld_Maps

You need the map editor version 2.1.2. (latest version)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 06:13:10 PM »
Basically it's a 'set it and forget it' sort of thing. These traveling units have no home base, but just come off the map edges.

I had figured as much with the whole 'padding' bit from the SDK. Plus, the AI in the first Eden Colony Game showed various groups of Plymouth vehicles that would appear from the same points and would leave at the same points (if I let them survive long enough to do so).