Author Topic: A suggestion on the story  (Read 1627 times)

creator

A suggestion on the story
« on: September 06, 2005, 09:12:09 PM »
I'm in guys  :D  I can't wait to get started on this.  No braggin intentional, (I rarely brag) but I've won a few writing contests and guess I'm a "good writer".  That being said, if the rule is that the next chapter writer in the queue HAS to continue the previous chapter, then what's going to happen is there will be NO plot twists or real scene changes from what had gone on previously.  I suggest the writers choose what happens next in their chapter, however if we have constant change from one chapter to another that will create too much inconsistency.
    My proposal: Make it so that if there was a 'scene change' two chapters previously, the next writer in the queue has the option of a new change.  If there has been a change in the chapter flow one chapter or less ago, then the next writer in the queue MUST continue the current scene and/or location.  Lemme give an example to clarify this a bit;

Chapter 2, such and such happens, so and so dies.  Such and such gets destroyed.

Chapter 3, (next writer) continues the current story.

Chapter 4, (next writer) continues current story and/or location.

Chapter 5, (next writer) has option of changing scenes.  I.E., setting new stage.  So...such and such happens, so and so changes occur, so and so location change.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.  If it was or you have a question just quote me and ask.   :P  

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 09:17:22 PM »
You're saying that if COlony A lost their smelter... then the next person would continue it... I'm not exactly sure how this will work :heh:  ... Before we decide on this... Leeor and the other guys had better give some input
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

creator

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 10:25:47 PM »
Something like that.  I'm saying, if Colony A loses their smelter, then the next writer for the next chapter would continue that line of events.  I.E., rescue and rebuilding.  That sort of thing.  They aren't allowed to switch the scene to the other colony(ies) unless is hasn't happened for at least 2 chapters previously.  

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 11:38:49 PM »
See, I think the both of you are taking the 'continue from the previous chapter' bit a little too litterally.

I had made the recommendation that all writters of each chapter will need to look at the way the previous chapter was written. Then, using the Outline as a guide, will need to continue with their chapter just as any published novel would progress.

The Outline provides several plot twists ("here's a little tid-bit... you return to New Terra!") such as the one I just [oops] mentioned...

Also, not every chapter will continue from the same point of view. To be more precise without giving away too much, there are Four points of view throughout the novel (although one of them is not really a major issue several chapters into the outline... you'll see why). The outline begins with one point of view and describes that a bit. Then, the outline will move to another point of view and then finally introduce the remaining.

Sometimes a chapter will end with a series of events. The following chapter will take on the point of view from another entity about the final events in the previous chapter.

To better explain my last point, picture this: View A is orbiting the planet. Some stuff happens. They observe a bunch of explosions on the planet below. Chapter Ends. View B describes what transpired shortly before and just after the explosions. View C goes on to describe the aftermath of the explosions.

I hope the above was clear.

And I hope that I have alleviated some of your concern as I really really really want this novella to be really good. And I think it will be if we all chipped in.

Also, as a note, I will be writting the Preamble. Actually, it's half written already... :-) And from there the first person in line will take over to start the book itself.

=====================================================

BTW, the example above doesn't necessarily relate to anything in the outline. It's just an example.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 11:39:37 PM by leeor_net »

creator

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 04:27:54 PM »
Sounds good, Leeor.  That's basically what I had in mind.  The story needs to flow, but it seems to me you guys get that pretty well and the current setup will allow for that.  

-C