Author Topic: Post Your Suggestions Here  (Read 4803 times)

Offline spirit1flyer

Post Your Suggestions Here
« on: August 25, 2005, 06:48:16 PM »
I want to know what you want  ;)  I started this for the community here so if you want a type of colony game or an idea for one please let me know I do want to make what you want to play  :)

spirit
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline The_Blight

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 07:53:53 AM »
Mission name: Blackout
Player House : Plymouth.
Enemy House: Eden

[Story] Diary of John Brunswick dd/mm/yyyy, Assistant in Department Of War.

It's not going well. At this time we have been pushed back to our last stronghold. What once was our main production colony, now has turned into a defective heap of burning metal. Almost everything is broken: the buildings, the units and most of people's will to fight.

It's not over, but it soon can be, we're short in resources and our leftover units can't take much damage anymore. I don't know for how much longer we can hold out. The High Counsil is in disarray, some even are thinking of surrendering, others want to fight back until the last man.

But surrendering isn't an option.

I hear many critics: "Even if we wanted to, how would we attack Eden then ?", "If we have barely enough units to defend our last stronghold, let alone we'd have enough to attack one of Eden's colony's.", and so on...
They're right about the fact we'd lose in a full-scale frontal assault, but maybe there's an option to be sought elsewhere.

Stealing. That's what it comes down to. Moving in with a small group under the cover of darkness, a darkness created by night and enforced by an EMP blast that might buy us just enough time to remain hidden from the radar until we have established some defensive capabilities. "So we just move in and steal their colony ?" someone yelled at me in the Counsil meeting, "Yes" I answered him, "In a way." Eden has a strong line of defences at their bases close to ours, but they don't send much protecting units along with their convoys, as they don't expect us to attack those. But we will have to if we want to turn this situation. In sector 7G has been a lot of activity the last days, a well established Eden colony is planning to set up a mining base in the region, and the convoy is waiting for a storm to subcede. If we could intervene and use some high-tech unit to override the Eden units' software, we might be able to make them fight for our cause.

"Why build a Command Center when there are driving around dozens of them for the taking ?"

//

What it comes down to:
You start out with a limited group of units, with their lights off. (Mainly consisting out of EMP units and Spiders). But also some RPG/Microwave units (no Stickyfoam or ESG as they might damage the 'wrong' units) to weed out the protecting units of the convoy.  

About that EMP blast, there are several ways to fill this in:
a) An EMP-missile is built with the last resources that we had, and comes falling down on Eden's Colony at the start of the game. (The colony is not equipped with an Observatory or Meteor Defense (yet), so there will always be an impact)

b)You use some Supernova units to destroy some Eden Tokamaks to ensure the colony's communiaction is off. Just park Some supernova's between them and make them go boom.

About the captured units, among them a ConVec carrying a CC, and another one with a Structure Factory, and a Robo-Surveyor and a Robo-Miner. (Cargo Trucks you can go and steal at the main colony's mines, as they are not guarded).

Now I don't know what is the most interesting, I know that even if I capture an Eden ConVec which was carrying an Eden CC, if I'm Plymouth it'll always turn into one of Plymouth's CC. So if it's ok and realistic(?) enough for you that this happens, I'm fine with that.

Else you must let both houses be 'Eden', only the player will think he's 'Plymouth', as he starts out with some Plymouthean units, but as he captures and builds his CC and Structure factory, he'll see he's building Eden buildings, which may give a cool effect too.

About the map, I can imagine the group being located at the left-bottom of the map (SW), and the Eden Colony in the upper-half of the map(N). And the Eden convoy would move from the colony to a mining beacon in the SE.
Intercepting could happen at some different locations. If you'd incorporate a Stickyfoam you could isolate some protective units of the convoy. Destroy the units protecting it, capture all the others with EMP and spiders, and build up a colony.

That's it. My fingers hurt. Sorry for eventual plot-holes, you can always write those out...

Greets,

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 08:13:45 AM »
Sounds good.. Couple points I might make:

- EMP blast. If you wanted you could immobilize the whole base for a set amount of time, just making the units stand ground, then later start them moving and seek out attacks on their base.

- "Houses"? Do remember it's not C&C. This brings a couple important points.
- A player is either eden, or plymouth. If they build units for the other side (e.g. eden has the ability to make arachnid factories) those structures will look with the gold color.

However you couldn't control what color buildings would be that are available to both races... that depends on the player setting, when you call .GoEden() or .GoPlymouth() in the code.

So basically its impossible to have a gold colored CC (plym style) and an eden style agridome (grey).. Everything is one or the other.
Again only exception being the eden-only or plymouth-only buildings; since there are no arts for the other race for that structure, it uses the only art it has for that (i.e. the arachnid fac will ALWAYS be gold, regardless of race)

Offline The_Blight

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 09:30:42 AM »
Ahh yes, I've actually never ever seen the code of Outpost 2, though I had some experiences with C&C, but that was long ago. And Outpost 2 probably was made in C, IIRC, or was it C++, as I comprehend C, but not C++ (I learn that next year).

But yes, now I see where I was wrong, my thoughts of having 2 'Eden' sides were erroneous:

If the player was Eden so to say, and if I'd let him just start out with some spiders and some RPG tanks, then the player would have thought he's Plymouth, as there are only gold versions of these units. But if I add the EMP tanks, they'd be grey, as the PC defaults their color to the side you've chosen (being Eden), and so you would have some Plymouthean-only units in gold, but the 'shared' ones would appear in grey for the player. Also, setting both EMP tanks to gold to the gold color is impossible, as the enemy Eden's EMP tanks would look gold too then.

Another thing I was thinking of, to give the player some early advantages.
On the map are some GeoCon powerstations, positioned on fumaroles, so if the player is smart enough to destroy them, the AI will send a new one, which then the player could take over.

Also, the Eden colony would be using a 'Magma Well' to obtain Rare ore, so if the AI's research tree is set so that it's miners 'can' build Magma Wells, if they are captured, do they still have this functionality then ? If not, is there a way to force them to have it ?

Because if that's possible, I think I can really make a player freak out  :lol:... Just researched Rare Ore Processing, and there appear no new beacons on the map, WTF ! :lol: (The solution would be destroying an Eden mine, to lure out a miner, capturing it and using it on a Magma Vent) If that's even possible...

Offline spirit1flyer

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 03:20:23 PM »
Also, the Eden colony would be using a 'Magma Well' to obtain Rare ore, so if the AI's research tree is set so that it's miners 'can' build Magma Wells, if they are captured, do they still have this functionality then ? If not, is there a way to force them to have it ?

Because if that's possible, I think I can really make a player freak out ... Just researched Rare Ore Processing, and there appear no new beacons on the map, WTF !  (The solution would be destroying an Eden mine, to lure out a miner, capturing it and using it on a Magma Vent) If that's even possible...

I am very interested in learning if this would work  it looks like a great idea  B)

spirit

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline bbb

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 07:26:12 AM »
I'd like to be able to do single-player (me vs. computer) on one of the BIG global maps that were on some of the online building games. The level of play should be Easy/Medium/Hard so that the Easy version would just be a building game - you could attack the computer but the computer would never attack you. In Medium the computer would counter-attack after your first attack. In Hard the computer would send out patrols to find your base(s) and attack those it found.

Offline spirit1flyer

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 09:24:26 AM »
that could be done and I am planing on making some large maps to play with the computer. But its not on the top of my list  ;)  if someone else were helping me I could work much faster  :P

spirit

Loyal Xfir supporter