Poll

Should a new 'mature' channel be made and enforced?

Yes
3 (15.8%)
No
16 (84.2%)
Other (please explain)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: New Channel For IRC?  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
New Channel For IRC?
« on: August 18, 2005, 07:17:55 PM »
This is about the new channel spoken about in the 'New mature channel for IRC' topic. Please vote and explain why you voted that way.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 07:19:12 PM by Stormy »
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
New Channel For IRC?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 02:05:05 AM »
we have enough channels as it is .. most of them being empty, with only some bots in it. People should just start acting mature without having to put "mature" in the channel name
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
New Channel For IRC?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 09:01:20 AM »
agreed ... i only come on lobby ( havnd even talked there in months i think) and normal .... so mature channel .... its not like everybody wants to talk about it
becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Channel For IRC?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 07:41:10 PM »
No for the new channel

Why because there are enough already and a new channel wont make people talk all the dirty words people dont want to hear in there.

Offline thablkpanda

New Channel For IRC?
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 11:28:17 AM »
Amen.

I'ma follow Freeza around, and agree to everything he says ;)

Very true, too many channels - Newb, Lobby, Coding, Normal (one more I think?)

Only two of them are used for regularity (besides the lobby for UNO!) Coding, and Normal.

Mr. Panda Keeps it real.

Offline gamerscd0

New Channel For IRC?
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 01:30:43 PM »
if you whant to inforce it just warn about ban or kicks in the topic :op2:

and we do have too many channels

? what is the loby for cant you just put uno in the noob chan?

who uses the noob chan?

Offline zigzagjoe

New Channel For IRC?
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 02:23:06 PM »
the noob chan is out of use rly, and the lobby is for uno. the noob chan was suppsoed to be for tuts and such, but it never worked out.

and we wouldnt/cant enforce that kind of thing.

Offline Leviathan

New Channel For IRC?
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 01:13:32 PM »
if we were biger this would be good.

a big channel on quakenet is #overclockers and they have a over 18's channel

if u swear in the main channel u get a warning. we could prolly add this at least.

Offline thablkpanda

New Channel For IRC?
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 02:25:21 PM »
Lmao, but what for lev? We're all mature individuals here - seriously. If we can't fume and vent among friends; or even in regular speech; what's the point? I mean sometimes it just slips out, but other times it's 'necessary' to let out anger, or to just joke around. I swear all the damn time and I'm just screwing around.

Don't mean to be rude.

-Chris

Offline Leviathan

New Channel For IRC?
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 03:19:19 PM »
we allways want to keep it a place for all ages and promote a fun friendly family atmosphere

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
New Channel For IRC?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 03:48:49 PM »
1. all channels but .noob are used regularly. remember: if you think a channel is useless, don't use it, don't even join it. it won't bother you then.
2. I don't see how forcing bad language out of the main channel would work out. It would be nice, but I doubt it can be done.
3. the claim that all opu members like to/are allowed to read bad language cannot be proven. It would be adequate to assume that that is not the case.

Offline zigzagjoe

New Channel For IRC?
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 04:19:48 PM »
actually, the coding channel is fairly dusty too.

as far as cursing goes: there is no way that can be enforced. if its exceisive swearing/inapproite words thats one thing but regualr no way.  

and you do realize a signifcant amount of ppls are not over 18?

also: what was the point of necro'ing this thread? its already decided.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 04:20:31 PM by zigzagjoe »

Offline thablkpanda

New Channel For IRC?
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 09:10:54 PM »
What the bloody hell does necro'ing a thread mean?

I return to the 'mature audience' argument - and when you say 'allowed' to read bad langauge, are you saying mommy and daddy still look over their shoulder while they're on the computer?

In that case - mommy and daddy need to know that their kid is much more mature than they think, and need to get a life.

I'm just sayin'.

Chris

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
New Channel For IRC?
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 09:45:26 PM »
theres totally no point in having a mature channel. thats what the lobby is for. and if someones talking and you dont want to see it, just go to another chan. simply making another chan with another name wont make ppl stop discussing "mature things in a mature manner."

why make a new channel anyway? mirc will still alert you that new messages are appearing in it and you wont know if its "mature" or not until you read it which defeats the purpose of having it in the first place >:|. the lobby is designed specifically for this purpose. trying to enforce language rules on a public irc channel would be next to impossible.

people who are having a problem with the language can tell the people in the chan to tone it down. otherwise, some people just need to grow up. its the internet. its free for anyone to say and do whatever they want and there is a very limited scope of what anyone can do to enforce language. thats the nature of the thing. if you cant handle people speaking out in ways you dont approve of, maybe you shouldnt be using the internet. it would be different if we were talking about language on the forum, as it is posted up for all to see for who knows how long. but the purpose of irc is so that we can all get together, chat it up and chill - not have to worry about getting kicked for saying "damn" or "hell" too much. we arent in preschool.

and i have to say that unfortunately the opu irc channels arent controlled by stormy. if you have an issue with the language, talk to levi about it in a pm. or you can write up a forum thread to be posted in news. or you could make a mature channel yourself and ask levi if you can advertise it for a week or so.

what im saying is, a poll isnt the best way to make irc suggestions. and its obvious what the general opinion is toward this idea.

thats just my long-winded opinion tho.

Offline zigzagjoe

New Channel For IRC?
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 09:49:57 PM »
a necro refers to a thread that was done; end of convo and then some one comes along and posts after the fact for usually no useful reason. this is refered to as necroing and is generaly frowned upon. as you can tell it was already decided when levi decided to come and necro it.

some thread for instance coding threads it is a good idea to necro when you have something useful to post otherwise start a new thread.

thread locked(necro)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 09:52:10 PM by zigzagjoe »