Author Topic: OPU|Bot has moved!  (Read 5319 times)

Offline zigzagjoe

OPU|Bot has moved!
« on: June 23, 2005, 11:06:12 AM »
OPU|Bot has been moved to a new server:a ....MACINTOSH!!!

The specs on it is:
G4 550mhz
512mb Ram
10gb Primary
Debian Linux 3.0a
DVD-ROM
VooDoo 5 5500 64mb 2xGPU
100mb Zip Drive

It will be used for hosting OPU|Bot, among other things.

But anyways, lets get to the pics :)

Right Side
Left Side
Front
Inside 1
Inside 2

All of these pics were taken when it was on and running. (It says g3 on the side, but this has since been upgrded to a G4)(When these pics were taken it had a Rage128 in it for debugging)

Bask in in its Blue & White glory.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 09:17:25 PM by zigzagjoe »

Offline Leviathan

OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 11:35:35 AM »
Nice pics :)

Good work.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 04:31:43 PM »
I really don't like the design. But if it works..

Offline zigzagjoe

OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 04:46:35 PM »
whats that mean TH300?  <_<  

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 05:12:13 PM »
I think it means, it's a mac.  ;)  

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 06:56:12 PM »
Running linux.

To be honest, I have no problems with macs (the computer) themselves as used in server environment, if they run a good OS (like Linux)

I just CAN'T STAND MAC OS!!! (shakes fist).

Btw, OPU|Bot is up on the new machine now. At this moment I'm working on migrating the stats uploader.

What this means for the user, is that OPU|Bot should be a lot more responsive. (It's no longer on a machine with a limited internet connection, and not on that crappy SunOS).

Also, I have root access to the mac (and as you see, ZigZagJoe has the machine in his house) So that means we may be able to use it for other OPU related services in the future. (Not sure what yet though).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 07:11:23 PM by op2hacker »

Offline zanco

OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 07:23:58 PM »
Nice  ;)

I can see your shoes from the left-side pictures. lol
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline zigzagjoe

OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 07:39:51 PM »
lol. gj hacker!

mac os x is nice tho.  

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 08:54:10 PM »
And so the move is complete after 12 hours of work. (Mind you, that was to totally secure the system, etc, not just the eggdrop installation). Thus I've changed the topic name. :heh:

And the stats are now up-and-running. The bot will post stats at around the same time (00:00 GMT).

OPU|Bot should be a lot more responsive now that's it's on a faster connection and a dedicated computer (e.g. not shared with 5 other eggdrops and a few b****X clients)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 11:17:07 PM »
WHY must it be a MAC??????

When OSX came out I almost made the switch... thank god I came to my senses.

I can't stand the MAC. I find it useless for the applications I use it for. I still have yet to find someone who can tell me what they're actually good for...

And don't tell me graphics because the PC runs the same applications as the MAC and it runs them at LEASt 20 times faster (I'm sorry but Apple made a mistake sticking with RISC processors)

Offline Leviathan

OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 04:19:02 AM »
Currenty the bot is ping timeout every so often but im sure there get it sorted!, if not, back to the free eggdrop we used before.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 07:34:00 AM »
Hmm, ping timeout? I'll reorder the server list. (The uk. server is the first in the serverlist, those tend to be overloaded at times)

Leeor: It's not RISC / 68k based like the ancient macs. It's PPC based which can outperform many ix86 machines today. PPCs have always been 64 bit, try to prove that with Intel.

Also: It's a server. It doesn't get used for graphics at all, it's running Linux and there's no need to install X windows on it. The only "graphics" it did when Linux got installed was the text mode installer, currently it has no monitor or input devices attached (all interaction with it is done thru ssh)

Yes, if it was running Mac OS I'd be grossed out too, I hate Mac OS personally, but love linux. The Power Mac G4 itself isnt a crappy machine, its the factory installed software that sucks.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 07:37:17 AM by op2hacker »

Offline zigzagjoe

OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 05:55:51 PM »
and don't forget 128bit altivec extensions. and the pingout has been fixed.

Offline lordly_dragon

OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 09:09:10 PM »
I still have yet to find someone who can tell me what they're actually good for...

well to answer your question mac is great for graphic and cinema making purpose

i know that because i ama well rounded computer user (what i mean is i know little thing about almost everything but no speciality)

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 09:31:05 PM »
From what I've heard, macs *used* to dominate there. But as of recent years, people have been switching to PCs and finding they were faster.

Mind you, this is just what I've heard, and it sounds like macs have improved a little since then. So who knows. I haven't used one in years. And I've certainly never used one that was current.

Offline zigzagjoe

OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 09:37:42 PM »
A mac/ 2x G5 2.7ghz can pwn any consumer pc you can buy, and its 64bit to boot. i'ld love to see x86 top that.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 09:11:55 AM »
Well, new problems.

The hard drive in the machine crapped out this morning, I was trying to install some things and it kept giving me an error 'read only file system.' So I rebooted, it worked for about 2 minutes before giving me a 'read only file system' error. So another reboot and Joe tells me the system started to run fsck (filesystem check) as it does at start, and it said the drive had bad sectors.

So to make a long story short, OPU|Bot will be out of operation until a working hard drive is found, the old filesystem is transferred to it (barring there being any corruption on the old disk), and its installed and machine started up again.

Hopefully this happens today but it depends if Joe has a working HD that doesnt have bad sectors all over.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 02:38:24 PM »
The mac is now back up, and OPU|Bot and all the other services on it should function normally. (In fact, they may be a little faster and better, because a faster, 100 gig hard drive now replaces the 10 gig)

Offline lordly_dragon

OPU|Bot has moved!
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2005, 07:08:50 PM »
100 go hard drive.... W00t

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.