Author Topic: 3d Game Engine  (Read 2117 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
    • LairWorks Entertainment
3d Game Engine
« on: June 18, 2005, 11:06:09 PM »
I know that a some projects are using a 3D approach. However, Acknex Studio is awful (sorry, GP, I've used it and I can't stand it.). Another wanted to develop his own 3D engine.

Anyway, I have a 3D engine that I've been working on for a long time. You can see screen shots of it here: http://www.theschoolfromhell.com/. It's the engine I've used for another game I'm working on and it's based off of the Quake2 source.

Anyway, Quake2's engine is extremely powerful and fast. Since my modifications it's also now able to display 32-Bit textures properly (without any interpolation or distortion), it has a virtually unlimited viewspace (Q2 had limited a limited viewspace), has the beginnings of a shader parsing engine for the renderer and has a physics engine which can be changed without much trouble (hence AirQuake).

Also, since I've been modified the original source so much, I know most of the rendering code and virtually ALL of the physics code (including the 'rules' for the camera. [BTW, the camera is the easiest thing to modify]).

It would certainly be a project but if someone is willing to take the source and create an OP game out if it, contact me and I can give you all of the documentation I have.
- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's

Offline Leviathan

3d Game Engine
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 02:06:09 PM »
Im sure there are other open source 3D engins out there also.

I know the Q2 engin got redone to be much better.

You game/engin looks good, and im sure it is :)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
3d Game Engine
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 10:02:02 PM »
Thanks. I've since written a partial shader engine (using the Cg for OpenGL/DirectX) which only half works.

Of course, my dev computer died so all I really have to work with right now is OPUTool and OP:MIA's graphical componets (as well as just text-based testing programs for MIA).

Yeah, I know there are other 3D engine but how many of them have the developers offering not not only give you the source code but also explain everything down to the last byte and help with the programming?  :lol:

Either way, my offer stands to anyone who is willing to download the Q2 source and actually see the project to the end.
- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
3d Game Engine
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 03:29:25 AM »
it looks pretty much like I won't have to develope an own 3d engine when programming my outpost game ;)
Though I don't even know whether it will be 2d or 3d and whether I'll ever start it, because I'm busy with too many other projects.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
3d Game Engine
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 06:49:15 AM »
If you already have a lot of projects, starting another one is not going to help because you'll end up stretching yourself thin. Not to mention, you'll want to get them all done so you'll start taking shortcuts and cutting corners. Any program developed like that becomes a mess. I've seen it (OUTPOST as a prime example!)

It's good that you can recognize that. :)
- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's