Author Topic: Hey There Forum People  (Read 8491 times)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Hey There Forum People
« on: June 07, 2005, 02:33:30 AM »
Hey every one im just wondering why some of you dont get on IRC very often or not at all.  figured I would post here where every one seem to post the most.

Offline Leviathan

Hey There Forum People
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 05:45:57 AM »
:o

When i posted they couldnt even be bothered to post:

http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.php?showtopic=1547

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Hey There Forum People
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 08:43:17 AM »
look where you posted it lev :P
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Hey There Forum People
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 10:59:44 AM »
So you're saying because you dont use irc you cba to look at the 'irc forum'?

I just want to know, why don't people WANT to use irc. It's not an issue of whether they can. (Because they can, when the site went down a lot of usually forum-only people showed up in IRC).

the IRC program isn't obtrusive, you can minimize it to an icon by the clock if you want.

So what's the reason people just don't want to use irc?

Offline Leviathan

Hey There Forum People
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 03:58:50 PM »
You should click Todays Active Topic's when you visit the forums to see all the new posts.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Hey There Forum People
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 07:52:55 PM »
When I see IRC as a forum section, I think list of updates
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sl0vi

Hey There Forum People
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 05:28:50 AM »
A list of updates?  :blink:
How often do you see a list of updates in the IRC section?
!!!YAY!!!

Offline thablkpanda

Hey There Forum People
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 09:14:40 AM »
Ya, don't get me wrong, im not crying (complaining) but Some of us will be using only single-monitor systems in the time to come (me). My laptop is gonna be tha bomb diggity, but one monitor only, will suck arse. Until I decide to buy another $300 flat panel, then I'll be hindering myself to run multiple programs. I think this is why alot of people don't run IRC. With firefox's memory issue, and some ram-intensive programming/OP2 playing going on, that can really 'suck ram' and there are people out there with little girly systems like running 128 ram, and trying to do all that shizit, AND MIRC in the bg. It would get fustrating

However I don't think that's an ample excuse for alot of people. OP2 Hacker runs the world's oldest computer (and could sell it to an antiques shop for enough to buy the entire IBM manufacturing plant) but he still manages to code and stuff while running MIRC and whatever he does while he's not paying attention to me asking him numerous questions.

IRC rules, no excuses, until I (being the resident genius) come up with another idea of how to keep us all talkin in realtime (don't count on it) then IRC is the best we got. So use it. Use the hell outta it. And if you're complainin' cuz the MIRC trial is runnin out, Don't. Cuz there's serials for it all over teh freakin web.

Pandas Rule the 'effin jungle..

WHAAAT?!?

YEAAH!!

Panda

Offline Sl0vi

Hey There Forum People
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 10:05:31 AM »
lol! Even on my good old 233 MHz Pentium 2 64 mb ram, snail like speed comp, I never found that IRC did in anyway slow down or disturb other stuff I was running.

And why would you want to hide it ? It deserves its spot on the taskbar!
!!!YAY!!!

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Hey There Forum People
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 10:48:10 AM »
Yep, I have a single monitor 333mhz Pentium-II and i've never had any problems with mIRC slowing down the system.

Other chat clients? like AIM and MSN? they make it run like s***, and crash a lot too.

Speaking of, for the people who don't use IRC but always manage to be on other clients like AIM, YIM, and MSN, aren't those just as "intrusive" as IRC? (Especially AIM, where all it's windows are separate ON THE DESKTOP. not to mention the ads with sound it likes to suddenly play).

Offline thablkpanda

Hey There Forum People
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 11:29:17 AM »
Hey, like I said, I only use MIRC for chattin with you people. I try to get my friends using MIRC but they insist upon stupid alternatives like, AIM and MSN. MSN sux, Trillian is cool, if it had nnscript in it, it would be the freakin bomb-ass shizit. But MIRC is a really cool prog. And I have no issues w/ it. But some people do, and I try to understand that and help justify for them.

Pandas.

Offline zigzagjoe

Hey There Forum People
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 01:52:38 PM »
heh, even my p75mhz/16mb can run it.(belive me, i've tried it, i didn't notice any difference, then again, everthing is slow as hell on it)

and we have our own reg info for mirc. pm me and i'll give it to you.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Hey There Forum People
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 06:55:27 PM »
This isnt how fast your damn computer is topic.  Its about the reason why forum idlers and why they wont use IRC.  Its a question that should be answered so we can get some idea why people dont use IRC.  Then maybe a Solution can be found.

Offline thablkpanda

Hey There Forum People
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 07:52:04 PM »
Amen freez, preach it to the penguins

Panda

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Hey There Forum People
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 12:30:31 AM »
Let me be the first to ask, theblkpanda, What are you on? Geez!  B) jk!

Anyway, quite frankly, I don't like IRC. I much prefer the whole IM approach with AIM, YIM, MSN, etc.

Of course, chat rooms are great forums and so when someone wants to join a group discussion they can. Hence the IRC room.

I don't run IRC most of the time because, quite frankly, I use it as a SIGS/WON replacement. When I want to play a game I log onto IRC. When I want to chat with someone in real-time, I log on and hope that they're there. Otherwise I have no use for IRC.

That is why I started developing OPUTool. I wanted it to function as a chat client as well as an IM program. OPUTool could be minimized but you would get a notification whenever you got a PM. Or like YIM's chat rooms, flash the task-bar button until the window regains focus.

Of course, IRC is a great idea and certainly works. I just don't think a lot of people really want to be bothered to have it running in the background. Could I make changes to my Windows Start scripts to automatically load MIRC, log on as my name, join the OP2 room and then drop it to the system tray? Sure I could. I just don't have the time to be bothered with it most of the time... :( I hate putting it that way but that's the truth. <_<

:op2: Leeor

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Hey There Forum People
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2005, 03:28:16 AM »
Thats lazy isn't it? I mean, how long does it take you to start mirc (or whatever client you like)? And afaik the new version of mirc can even be minimized to systray.

A major advantage of irc is that you don't have a conversation between just 2 people, and can even read what others talk. Its a real simple way to stay up to date.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 03:29:13 AM by TH300 »

Offline Leviathan

Hey There Forum People
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005, 05:40:54 AM »
Yes, private convons like on IM clients aint very usefull, if its a op2 topic (which if often is @ #outpost2 :P) some1 else can easisly join in.

A agree, lazy not to load it when you computer is on, if you have a allways on connection you should allways have IRC runing.

And also the NoNameScript we offer which most people use can minimized to systray and you can set up baloon pop-ups for when you get a private message, or when someone wants you, wehn your name is said. This is what I do.

Offline Sl0vi

Hey There Forum People
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 11:39:03 AM »
You have the patience to use those chat programs, and yet not mirc????

If you use OPUNNscript, and have it set up right, all it takes is a double click... and it takes almost no memory, unlike all the other clients you mentioned...
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Leviathan

Hey There Forum People
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005, 11:48:06 AM »
I don't run IRC most of the time because, quite frankly, I use it as a SIGS/WON replacement. When I want to play a game I log onto IRC. When I want to chat with someone in real-time, I log on and hope that they're there.
I used to keep WON open all the time i was online, just like i do with IRC now, so its my SIGS/WON replacement. I dont play all the time tho :P

Also, you can private talk with IRC, its called a private message, just like using msn (yuck).

Also if you like IMers so much Leeor, just use Trillan, it does IRC, AIM, MSN, ICQ all in one...

Ill say again - If you computer is on, and online - a irc client should be runing and you should be connected to quakenet on our channel.

Offline thablkpanda

Hey There Forum People
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 05:09:33 PM »
Let me be the first to ask, theblkpanda, What are you on? Geez!  B) jk!

Anyway, quite frankly, I don't like IRC. I much prefer the whole IM approach with AIM, YIM, MSN, etc.

Of course, chat rooms are great forums and so when someone wants to join a group discussion they can. Hence the IRC room.

I don't run IRC most of the time because, quite frankly, I use it as a SIGS/WON replacement. When I want to play a game I log onto IRC. When I want to chat with someone in real-time, I log on and hope that they're there. Otherwise I have no use for IRC.

That is why I started developing OPUTool. I wanted it to function as a chat client as well as an IM program. OPUTool could be minimized but you would get a notification whenever you got a PM. Or like YIM's chat rooms, flash the task-bar button until the window regains focus.

Of course, IRC is a great idea and certainly works. I just don't think a lot of people really want to be bothered to have it running in the background. Could I make changes to my Windows Start scripts to automatically load MIRC, log on as my name, join the OP2 room and then drop it to the system tray? Sure I could. I just don't have the time to be bothered with it most of the time... :( I hate putting it that way but that's the truth. <_<

:op2: Leeor
That man is a genius. Practically takes my words out of my mind ;).

I'm not on anything, i'm just a lil stupid occasionally. lol

I really do like IM'ing better, It's a more private thing, and if you want to talk with a bunch of your homies, then use their Chat Rooms.

The IRC is a great idea, for us. And when I want to play, or I feel like talkin to ya'll. I'll leave it open, but there are sometimes when I seriously don't feel like botherin with ya'll.. lol, it sounds a lil odd, but that's what i'm really thinkin.

Sometimes when you want to talk to an OPU member in realtime, but they're not on IRC, then you have to use a common replacement such as e-mail, or trying to find them on a IM'ing client, such as (MSN AIM YIM, etc), Which I have had no such luck with with any of you. I keep my AIM MSN YIM ICQ client open (Trillian, i got the Pro Version, it PWNS. And I always talk to my friends like that. But sometimes I don't want IRC open, so I fail to keep up with ya'll.

Panda (who speaks his mind, so shut up if u don't like it ;) j/k)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Hey There Forum People
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2005, 12:42:18 AM »
You know Lev, just because you like it doesn't mean everyone else will. And you can't exactly force people to use it. I mean, this is a game website. You can't order people to have fun and enjoy themselves. Nor can you force them to do things they don't enjoy. If they aren't enjoying themselves, there is no point in being here.

If anything, this constant badgering to get people on IRC strikes me as a real turn off. It kinda makes me want to use IRC less.  :angry:

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Hey There Forum People
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 02:10:05 PM »
Well this was just to find out why people didnt want to use IRC hooman.  So maybe a Idea on how to make it or find a way to get people to work for them.  Oh ya you can have a private convos in IRC you dont have to talk in the main chat room all the time but it would just be nice if people would just idle and chat once in a while i dont see a problem.

Offline lordly_dragon

Hey There Forum People
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2005, 07:10:17 PM »
i think freeza that irc scare some low skilled people because they think it can be bad for there cpu poor them  :find:  

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Hey There Forum People
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 09:39:58 PM »
It has nothing to with skill then it has to do with nothing that your not going to get hacked.  Its true you can get hacked but that is only because your going in rooms that have assholes like that in there.  I dont think there has been a hacking problem oh any kind in the #outpost2 channels.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Hey There Forum People
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2005, 07:50:53 AM »
And furthermore if I catch anyone trying to hack people or pasting malicious irc scripts they will get an immediate kb.

(I think a lot of people think that the server scanning for proxies, as a lot of servers do, not just IRC, is a 'hack attempt' because their firewall makes a portscan look like 'hacking'. Which it really isn't).