Author Topic: Hamachi Update  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Leviathan

Hamachi Update
« on: June 03, 2005, 04:18:19 AM »
Hamachi 0.9.9.7 is now aviable for download or auto update. make sure you update :)

From the site:
Pre-0.9.9.6 clients used random material provided by the server to derive their p2p encryption keys. Theoretically this meant that the server could've potentially derived the same keys and thus be able to decrypt all p2p traffic should it be able to intercept it.

Starting with 0.9.9.6 clients now generate and authenticate this material completely on their own. When it comes to p2p security, the server is now used exclusively for publishing and retrieving client's public keys. The Security page has been updated with detailed description of the key exchange protocol.

You can tell whether you and your peer are using p2p encryption keys by looking at status tooltip for the peer. If the Crypto line says AES-256-SHA1, P2P, then - yes - p2p crypto is being used.

This release also adds an option for controlling Hamachi network adapter packet queue length. This is directly related to a 'high ping' issues with games reported earlier in Forums. Should you encounter this problem, you may try resolving it by reducing adapter packet queue as described below. Shorter queue would cause greater packet loss under the network load, which will presumably cause sending application to reduce its packet rate and thus may help normalize things. Default packet queue is 2048 packets. It is suggested to reduce it down to 64, 32 or even 16 packets when troubleshooting CPU/net congestion issues.

View topic: forums.hamachi.cc

Note: If installer on auto update stops or whatevea, end task it in task manager then download 0.9.9.7 installer from the site. Uninstall current Hamachi, stop nicmgr.exe runing in task manager if it is (if you dont you will get error on install), then delete the Hamachi folder. Install 0.9.9.7 and ur set.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 04:24:56 AM by Leviathan »

Offline §Panther

Hamachi Update
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 02:13:18 PM »
or just learn to set up Direct IP. port forwarding isn't that hard, people!

Offline Leviathan

Hamachi Update
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 03:07:03 PM »
or just learn to set up Direct IP. port forwarding isn't that hard, people!
its hard when you CANT! Hamachi is for people who must use it to play, it rocks! :D

Offline zigzagjoe

Hamachi Update
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 06:11:35 PM »
hmm, these frequent updates seem rather inconvinent for people. Looks like they're going to run out of numbers before hamachi is in a finished state at this rate.

and hamachi isn't a cure-all. it disgusts me to see people who can forward ports perfectly fine use hamachi just b/c they're too lazy to set it up. :find:  

Offline thablkpanda

Hamachi Update
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 05:57:39 PM »
Hey, Then kinda- avoid em'. I only use ham w/ people that I KNOW can't Direct-ip. Like people I attempted to talk through it, and failed. So I have no issues determining who to play with. :)

And I don't mind using ham until, as someone mentioned, it needs to be updated, and I have v. 9.9.5 still :D

Pandas Rule

Offline Leviathan

Hamachi Update
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 07:13:31 AM »
these frequent updates seem rather inconvinent for people.
You just have to have auto update enabled. And hamachi tells you when there are update, seconds later and your updated.

Offline §Panther

Hamachi Update
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 08:32:13 PM »
In theory.

The latest update has had many problems auto-updating.