Author Topic: Multiplayer Guidelines  (Read 18224 times)

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Multiplayer Guidelines
« on: May 13, 2005, 10:21:58 AM »
Having been back for a couple of weeks playing games on and off, it is clear that much has been lost since the days on WON.

Being tired of quitting, and recently, breaking of other rules, I think it is necessary to remind old players and inform new players of the rules previously used to make as many as possible happy in their gaming environment.

1) The Game's Host sets the rules(Mark, game type etc). Never anyone else. If you don't like the rules/regulations of the game, find a new one or obide by the rules. If your not sure about something, ask.

2) Never quit a game unless you have a good reason. If you are losing, quitting is not an option, stay in the game until the bitter end.

3) Do not drop lost players until 60 seconds have passed.

4) Never break the set mark (Build mark & Attack Mark), or cheat in any other way. This includes using glitches in the game.

5) Treat all induviduals with respect. Cursing and namecalling are childish behaviour the community is better off without.

Can some mod get this thread pinned ?
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Leviathan

Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 10:46:34 AM »
I played on WON and I kept to the rules. I agree we should set some rules that players keep to.

But I see no point in not ending the game when you know its over, saying gg, then allying or quiting when the game is over. When the game is over, its over.  

People shouldnt give up, but when the game is truely over, I find it aspectable for people to ally up and end the game, saving time. I like to play many 1v1's in a row, and go from one game right into the next, with just saying gg and a few coments about the game in between. Allying when its over saves time so you can get into the next game.

In a normal game I ally up when I know its over and if they dont ally shortly after ill quit. If its a very long game I ally up when I know its over but Ill let the other player kill my base or CC with some nova's.

Yea I have said here that people need to be nice to one another, but respect is also required.
outpostuniverse.net/community.php

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 11:08:45 AM »
leme gues highlander... >_> this has to do with that game we bouzip and diuzer played?
becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline bouzip

Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 11:09:23 AM »
yup, i think it is^^

but those are good rules, lets follow them!

all of us ^_^
Anime is something really nice in this world

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 03:28:57 PM »
yea, good rules.

what about "don't attack an allie"?

And btw. if I defeat someone, what might not happen so very often, I want to damn see how I win! leaving or allieing when loosing does really not save enough time to justify it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 03:32:51 PM by TH300 »

Offline Sephiron

Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 06:07:43 PM »
Here is my view on this matter. Personally I have always waited 90 seconds and that is because people do come back after 60 seconds. I agree whole heartly with the letting your base die before you quit. To me allying up/quiting is just another way of saying well you won I dont like it so lets ally up/quit and hurry this up. To me thats being a coward and/or horrible sportsmenship. Most people give up too easily anyway. I was playing a game with Spanther and he blew up my mine and one of my smleters I barley had enough ore to build up a defense and get a new miner there. I could of gave up because in essence the game maybe was over. 2 units vs 6, but guess what I didn't and I won the game. To win a game is a privlidge and a honor. You should relish in your victories and rethink in your defeats. If you can not do this well then you just need to grow up and act your age.

Offline Sl0vi

Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 06:44:50 PM »
I agree that you should not quit until you've actually been killed of. Usually I stay to watch my base blow up when I lose myself... just because I like all the shiny effects.  :D

And you shouldn't quit just because you lose some important building (like a starflare sneaking in to kill your Adv. lab, taking all of it's surroundings down too  :angry: ) It is good training to learn to rebuild your base when things are not going your way, and makes you a better player. This counts for, well, all games.

and attacking allies. This is one of the most annoying things, that I've never figured out why people do it, in RTS's, although I haven't seen this happen in OP2 yet. I have seen it in other RTS's though. Unless you agree on that you can make and break alliances, you shouldn't do this. My oppinion atleast.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 03:05:44 AM »
Agreed. You should always fight to the bitter end. If you're losing and you quit, you rob your opponent of the satisfaction of killing you off. So what's the point of playing against you? It's like they can't ever really win. If you've gone through a hard fought game and someone finally comes out on top, you'd better let them finish that game. Definately poor sportsmanship to just quit.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 03:09:48 AM »
Well, as for Allying when game is over, it takes two to do it. It's up to both if they wish for this, so that would be up to the induviduals playing the game.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 03:13:54 AM »
Yeah, that's not a problem if both people want to do that. But then, if someone suggests that and you don't want to, it kinda makes you feel like an a-hole if you don't. I'd prefer people just leaving the idea alone.

Offline Leviathan

Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 05:11:55 AM »
Like I said I just do it to save time, and mainly in a round of 1v1s. When ur playing many games in a row, like a round of 1v1s u dont want to wait to get on with the next game, u just wanna get on with it.
E.g y'day i killed Paco's outside smelter on ETD, I wasnt in his base but the game was clearly over, he allyed, game over, on to the next game in seconds.

And Hooman geting the win is the satisfaction, destroying the base is just fun.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 05:16:20 AM by Leviathan »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 05:23:13 AM »
Hmm showing people respect and treating them nice.  I have heard the spewed before the masses of people in other games.  The truth is its a rules that is bent quite a bit and/or has no meaning to others.  But that is just my opinion.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 08:10:35 AM »
geting the win is the satisfaction, destroying the base is just fun.
yea, thats obviously right. And I play Outpost2 for fun, not for satisfaction.

Offline Mez

Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 05:38:42 AM »
Yup, perhaps a copy of those rules appearing on teh website, with a link in irc. would be nice Lev? or hacker whoever has time (prolly lev)

Offline Starfox00000

Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 08:24:05 PM »
I like & abide by these rules in game, but it dosent seem anyone else does, especially not quitting <_<. also just for posterity we should add "dont block people on ham." And i have seen allies attack each other (like my allie flaring me for some reason), which kinda sucked.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 01:04:35 AM »
Not wasting time to nova some one when you have the units in the base to take out the CC.

Offline Aldair01

Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 10:03:33 AM »
heh heh, I played McShay yesterday along with a new member. I defeated McShay's army but didn't have anything left so his ally rolled in but McShay's novas got to my cc, smelters, and factories first :D

Offline acid101

Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 12:53:57 PM »
i dont mind these rules i like em

Offline Combine Crusier

Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 11:10:02 AM »
Arg!!!!

Malfunction!!!

I was playing with a couple of people in a FFA yesterday and 2 of them attacked me at the same time... And one was clear on the opposite side of the map where he could have just waltzed into the other persons base.... but no!!!!! They had to ally in FFA which is way out of porportions for what FFA stands for. Technically they broke their own rules....

At least Sirbomber can kill me without allying with someone in a FFA!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 11:17:32 AM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 02:07:37 PM »
For the record, the game in question combine, there was no ally, if you would have looked instead of quit you would have seen a 3 way battle in your base.

You were attacked because everyone else had at least 60 lynx, while you had only a few  panthers guarding a single entrance, the person on the other side of the map attacked you because he could freely attack from the side, while in order to attack the other two players he would have had to go through well defended bottlenecks.

You were just the most opportune target plain and simple, and quitting and whining about it after words does not help your image any.
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Combine Crusier

Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 02:25:54 PM »
[On the contrary each of you were even more vulnerable considering you left your bases wide open. Thus making your excuse very.... contradictory.

This infact means you were being verk weak as an OP2 player as you didn't have the confidence to take me on alone in a FFA. This also deminstrates a lack of fairness as you decided to all fledge after one person like you were a pack of bullies going after another kid.

This thus allow the observation that you are infact a poor player.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 02:34:48 PM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 02:35:29 PM »
You know what, this is a necro'd thread with no point, I am locking it before you make yourself look even more like an ass.
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Mez

Multiplayer Guidelines
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 05:08:06 PM »
Good call Betaray.

Combine its a game.

and you broke rule number 2.  Not that I'm being picky, and you may have had good reason to quit, I wasn't there after all.

P.S. No you can't reply to this, as its locked.