Author Topic: Hard But Nice Idea  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Hard But Nice Idea
« on: April 07, 2005, 08:44:06 PM »
How about a WC3/TFT (or, even better, Starcraft) to OP2 TC? Or some other RTS that's easily modded.
I might go toy around with the SC mod idea, actually.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

Hard But Nice Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 09:46:52 PM »
Making mods for other games takes a lot of work.... if you wanna do it, gl hf.

Persoanly i think we should contenrate on making OP2 better.

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
Hard But Nice Idea
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 01:10:18 PM »
levi how do you mean "better" dont get you extra mods ( i mean good mods not a 1hour crapy addon) seems like better to me  
becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline Cctoide

• http://hosted.xfir.net/cctoide/e107
Hard But Nice Idea
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 12:51:14 PM »
Lev is too addicted to OP2. And not in the good way.
The Resident Newbie
OPUcomic, drawn by Cctoide

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Hard But Nice Idea
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 08:40:23 PM »
What we need to do is focus on scenario (colony game/ campeigne style) creation...
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Hard But Nice Idea
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 04:20:12 PM »
CK9 is right. We are an op2 community, why should we go around making mods for other games? that does nothing to get people to come and play OP2, itself, the REAL game.

You're welcome to make one if you'd like but we really can't afford to spend time on something that would be utterly useless. You could make a mod for TA or RA2 or SC or whatever, but even then the game engine wouldn't be capable of simulating some OP2 things like morale, all the various disasters, blight, lava, etc.

Also. OP2 is a top down 2d game. Most of the other RTS engines out there are 2d-to-3d isometric style games. (Even ra2, uses 3d objects called voxels but are rendered with a 2d engine). Converting OP2 gfx into voxels would require people who had knowledge to do that.

I encourage anyone who wants to, to make this a "fan made game" for OP2. But I know I, nor Lev, have time to work on something like this. A mod for a different game engine becomes a totally different game.

Cctoide: Levi is one of the admins for OPU. what do you expect?  :heh:  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 04:21:42 PM by op2hacker »

Offline thablkpanda

Hard But Nice Idea
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 04:48:53 PM »
I agree with him ---^ OP2 is awesome, and most new game engines aren't capable of the advanced stuff.

Also, I hate starcraft. I orignally played it becuase I thought it was LIKE OP2. It's nothing like it.

Peace,
Panda

Offline Sl0vi

Hard But Nice Idea
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 06:45:17 PM »
Yeah, we should use much more time modding OP2 and improving it, instead of concentrating on other games.

If I had any skill at modding OP2, I would probably be spending all my time making colony games. That was the first part of the game I simply fell in love with, and also the one, I felt, was most incomplete and lacking a lot of stuff, that could have made this game shine like it was suppose to. I never actually played multiplayer until for the first time, until many years later.

One thing I would truly love to see, is some kind of "real" AI for multiplayer. While it wouldn't be the same as playing real multiplayer, players could get a small taste of the greatness of it, offline! Like skirmish in RA, the only reason RA survived as long as it did on my harddisk was because of skirmish.

So point being, I think there is to much work to be done on OP2. I plan to start on learning how to mod OP2 myself, once I'm done with exams and all that, and have more time on my hands :)

Panda, if you expected SC to be like OP2, you could only get dissappointed. There is no other game that is like OP2 :P SC is a brillant RTS tho, but it and OP2 are to different categories of RTS. SC is also one of my favorites.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 06:46:02 PM by Sl0vi »
!!!YAY!!!

Offline plymoth45

Hard But Nice Idea
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 12:25:36 AM »
I still think we should have a seperate module to make it better then to alter the original game completely. IMO we are destroying the original game by being too lazy to make a module to run things seperatly in without destroying the game.

Offline Sirbomber

Hard But Nice Idea
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 10:13:18 PM »
Well... It started okay, but ended when I just decided to make my Marines shoot Yamato Guns, tank shells, missiles, and, amazlingly, nuclear warheads. Plus my hard drive went boomy. Oh well. Nothing lost anyways.

But those marines were pretty dangerous.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Hard But Nice Idea
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 12:19:46 PM »
while you're at it, why not mod BF2 as a op:battlescape

from what i hear such a thing would be possible, and do-able. afterall, there's a team of fans doing this for redalert in BF2.

- mew i'll just point out though, unless you can convince someone like Zircon to do your 3D models, this is already doomed to fail
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!