Author Topic: New Colony Game  (Read 41716 times)

Offline Zao

New Colony Game
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2005, 05:19:42 AM »
Yeah, I would like to see something like a free for all with a couple different computer teams.

Offline Leviathan

New Colony Game
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2005, 05:34:43 AM »
Many good and different ideas here.

A new colony game has been started but dont expect it for sometime :P

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
New Colony Game
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2005, 12:00:04 PM »
Hooman wrote:
... I guess I'll look into getting an AI to actually ally with you sometime. I'm pretty sure I have an idea how it can be done, but I've never had time to try it out.
.. Did you ever try out Renegades, Mission 2 ?  I have something simular in there.
Question is.. what is "ally" ?   Does it mean you and this AI have a common enemy, and the AI is marked as "friendly" -meaning you cannot attack them by clicking only, unless you use the specific Attack command from the menu, same as you would need to for attacking your own units.
OR does "ally" mean that the AI will join you in attack runs, but is otherwise just defensive if YOU don't move off your tanks ?

The latter could be done, although it requires a LOT more coding, and we still need our skills to retrieve attack targets from the player's tanks, cause that cannot be done by using the standard exported functions from OP2 as far as i know..

The first "ally" option is very easy to create, which i've already demonstrated with Renegades, Mission 2
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Sub-Zero22

New Colony Game
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2005, 09:32:18 PM »
Plymouth mission: Use EMP's and spider combo to capture at least 6 acid cloud turrets from Eden, then post them at the marked points on the map to defend your base from the constant Eden waves which get stronger until the level ends. To win, you must take out Eden base, or get a population of 600 and launch all spaceport stuff.

Eden mission: Blow up one power system built by plymouth--with scouts. Then, take control of one Plymouth base (blow up command center and build a base beside it), and use it to complete your spaceport stuff and to defend against Plymouth, who will try to steal the RLV from you. If they steal it, mission failed.

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
New Colony Game
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2005, 06:41:36 AM »
cool idea  :D  
becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline zigzagjoe

New Colony Game
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2005, 06:32:43 PM »
Its a neat idea, but with one flaw: You would suffer heavy losses due to the acid clouds.

If you can get a spider in there after emping one, other acid clouds shoot at it and blow the spider and the unit, and this repeat itself many times with you losing many spiders and losing the acid clouds you try to capture.

Offline Sub-Zero22

New Colony Game
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2005, 08:05:31 PM »
Its a neat idea, but with one flaw: You would suffer heavy losses due to the acid clouds.

If you can get a spider in there after emping one, other acid clouds shoot at it and blow the spider and the unit, and this repeat itself many times with you losing many spiders and losing the acid clouds you try to capture.
What I'm saying is capture an Eden Con-vec that has an acid cloud guard post in it. That way your spiders won't get wasted. And that does work, I've done it before.

Offline Johnation

New Colony Game
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2005, 01:58:51 AM »
idk if any of you guys ever played age of empires 2 or not, but they have things called random maps, where basically everyone starts with basic stuff, and you just build up a city and try to either eliminate the other players or ai, or reach a certain objective, maybe build a spaceship or something.    

the idea is very basic, but i think it would be fun..

:lol:

Offline Tellaris

New Colony Game
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2005, 03:35:29 AM »
problem is, can Outpost 2 handle this?   It wasn't origonally designed for this, so it could be quite difficult to do it.   Chances are it won't happen imo, if this is the case.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
New Colony Game
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2005, 03:43:49 AM »
The difficulty of doing that probably makes it beyond reason. But really, since all the levels are DLLs you could technically do practically anything. It would be possible to set every tile on the terrain from within the DLL, but getting the tiles to match up, setting the terrain movability right, having ridges where the tiles meet up, placing enough resources and in correct/accessible locations, ... and so on, just wouldn't be very reasonable to do.

But yeah, that is a cool idea. Maybe someone can look into doing it someday. They're probably gonna need a lot of programming experience though. Probably want to have at least a basic data structures course under your belt. It'd suck if you didn't know enough to ensure two players could actually reach each other on the map. (i.e. not blocked in by ridges, or just plain seperated by them).

Offline Nightmare24148

New Colony Game
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2005, 01:07:45 PM »
I was actually thinking once that maybe its possible to do co-op missions!

Like:

Take Eden & Plymouth mission 4, the one with raiding the orig Eden colony:

1) Instead of just you, both players could start at different ends of the base, and the base would be harder to infiltrate, and you guys link up.

2) One player controls the Scouts, the other Lynxes, and you have to work together to win.

3) One player is Eden, the other Plymouth, and they both work together to get the data from the Labs.

This could also be applied to conquer scenarios, take the same mission:

1) One player Eden, the other Plymouth have to raid the labs, and they will also fight with each other if you meet each other.

2) See what you can raid from the base and bring it back to your side's beacon, and sabotage the other guys operations.

Something along those lines. And also co-op mission can have more than 2 people :D

Ok for a colony game idea:

1) Ok in the middle is a Blight base, and on either side is you and an computer ally, same map and same teams, excpet you control Eden or Plymouth depending on what you pick in the col menu. You basically fight the Blight enemy, who has a HUGE base and MANY Outposts, and its efficiency is maddening, and it est new bases a lot.

2) Help an AI ally: See the mission starts with you basically and an AI ally. Both of you are in the same base. Basically the ally is say, the real Eden/Plymouth colony, and you are your colony. The enemy is a base and outposts that took power by force, and basically you help your ally fight them. They provide much of the attack, you provide more defense and also make those piercing winning attacks. The objective is to capture all their Evac Transports and bring them to the base.

3) Capture: Basically ATM Plymouth only. You start with nothing really except EMPs and Spiders, and you gotta capture one of several convoys at the start of the missions who head out in several directions, and you ambush and capture ONE. These are lightly guarded convoys of Convecs with Command Center, Smelter, Structure Factory, Robo-Miner, Robo-Surveyor, Earthworker, Some Lynxes, Basic Lab (or Standard), Cargo Trucks, an Agridome, and stuff. You capture one of these convoys, build and then I guess it could be either a Population or Starship one.

Maybe both? As in you gotta build your pop up AND launch a starship?

Im also thinking of other objectives beside Pop and Starhsip.

^_^
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 01:19:44 PM by Nightmare24148 »
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline zigzagjoe

New Colony Game
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2005, 01:41:49 PM »
That is also a cool concept but it kinda goes against the story: Eden never works together officaly with Plymoth.

Offline Sub-Zero22

New Colony Game
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2005, 10:34:12 PM »
I was actually thinking once that maybe its possible to do co-op missions!

Like:

Take Eden & Plymouth mission 4, the one with raiding the orig Eden colony:

1) Instead of just you, both players could start at different ends of the base, and the base would be harder to infiltrate, and you guys link up.

2) One player controls the Scouts, the other Lynxes, and you have to work together to win.

3) One player is Eden, the other Plymouth, and they both work together to get the data from the Labs.

This could also be applied to conquer scenarios, take the same mission:

1) One player Eden, the other Plymouth have to raid the labs, and they will also fight with each other if you meet each other.

2) See what you can raid from the base and bring it back to your side's beacon, and sabotage the other guys operations.

Something along those lines. And also co-op mission can have more than 2 people :D

Ok for a colony game idea:

1) Ok in the middle is a Blight base, and on either side is you and an computer ally, same map and same teams, excpet you control Eden or Plymouth depending on what you pick in the col menu. You basically fight the Blight enemy, who has a HUGE base and MANY Outposts, and its efficiency is maddening, and it est new bases a lot.

2) Help an AI ally: See the mission starts with you basically and an AI ally. Both of you are in the same base. Basically the ally is say, the real Eden/Plymouth colony, and you are your colony. The enemy is a base and outposts that took power by force, and basically you help your ally fight them. They provide much of the attack, you provide more defense and also make those piercing winning attacks. The objective is to capture all their Evac Transports and bring them to the base.

3) Capture: Basically ATM Plymouth only. You start with nothing really except EMPs and Spiders, and you gotta capture one of several convoys at the start of the missions who head out in several directions, and you ambush and capture ONE. These are lightly guarded convoys of Convecs with Command Center, Smelter, Structure Factory, Robo-Miner, Robo-Surveyor, Earthworker, Some Lynxes, Basic Lab (or Standard), Cargo Trucks, an Agridome, and stuff. You capture one of these convoys, build and then I guess it could be either a Population or Starship one.

Maybe both? As in you gotta build your pop up AND launch a starship?

Im also thinking of other objectives beside Pop and Starhsip.

^_^
For the other objectives: Bases controlled (number of bases you have) | Mines controlled | Buildings/Units captured | Buildings/Units Destroyed.... Alot of stuff.

Offline Sirbomber

New Colony Game
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2005, 08:06:37 PM »
*raises from grave - Hey, I've been away awhile. Not like I was noticed anyways*
Save the computer player from the OTHER computer players, and steal an RLV...
AS EDEN!!! Better yet, steal it FROM PLYMOUTH! Mwahahahahahahahah!
...Which is why you need to protect your (Plymouth) ally!
It goes boom = Lose ------- It doesn't go boom before X time = Get free A. factory
*attempts to return to grave to discover somebody filled it in with sand*
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline OP2Patriot

New Colony Game
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2005, 01:46:00 AM »
*gives idea* I always wanted something cool like this:

You are Plymouth, with unlimited resources and great defenses. Now, what you have is an endless wave of Thor's Hammer Lynxes, they keep coming and coming. It'd also be cool if we had some special way to document how long someone lasts, and we can brag about it.

I really want something like this, because I use my trainer sometimes, and I want something that even my trainer can't top (without using Rapid Fire and Long Distance Weapon Ranges, if I used those, it'd be a slaughter and/or the computer would crash. It'd look cool, however, and I'd probably would have to find a way to record it).

The Forbidden Outpost 2 Forum ... they don't want you to know about it.
Yell if the above link disappears.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
New Colony Game
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2005, 10:27:46 AM »
I have a map idea that I keep trying to make and each time something goes wrong (first it was because the editor was still in beta version and I was the one to find the file save flaw :( , then I got it done only to find it too small, and finally I accidentally destroyed the file I was one-third of the way done with while getting rid of viruses and adware) that I have actually thought of a scenario with.  (wow, that's a long sentance :heh: )

Ying-yang:

the map, like the name implies, is a giant ying-yang (which I will be working on again (most likely after I graduate and before I head out for UCR)).  In the middle line where the oposite halves touch is impassible except for two really small passes that are gaurded by both bases.  The only other way to get to the other side is to go around the outside border.

Okay, now that you guys have a basic vision of the map, here's the scenario:

plymoth is on the volcanic side of the area and learns that the volcano will be errupting at (some mark, it would have to be tested a bit to decide the proper mark for each skill level).  The colony is desperate for survival and have decided to destroy eden to ensure it.  The goal for plymouth colony is to disable or destroy the eden colony, and build up a new base on top of it before the arrival of d-day.  For Eden colony, the goal is to defend the base, take out key structures within plymouth colony, and take starship parts from their spaceport before the eruption.

I know, it's a lame idea, but it is an idea
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Leviathan

New Colony Game
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2005, 10:58:41 AM »
I do like the idea and I would like to have the Ying-yang map made.

Also Patriot op2 games can be recorded with a screen capture program. You idea could be easily coded im sure.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
New Colony Game
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2005, 04:31:40 PM »
idk if any of you guys ever played age of empires 2 or not, but they have things called random maps, where basically everyone starts with basic stuff, and you just build up a city and try to either eliminate the other players or ai, or reach a certain objective, maybe build a spaceship or something.   

the idea is very basic, but i think it would be fun..

:lol:
AoM has the same thing...and OP2 does something slightly similar with some of the dlls...

If you look at the Eden Starship map while playing, there a few ore spots that have 50/50 chance of being there when you start the game.  Also, some of the ore spots change how many bars they are (as seen on the eastern side of the Eden population map).  I think what would work for a random map generation for OP2, is to make a .dll that will select a different one on the host's computer and relay to the other computers which one it is.  Is that more feasable than to make a dll that does all the map rendering itself?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do like the idea and I would like to have the Ying-yang map made.
hmmm....I was going to do some runescape stuff tonight, but maybe I'll work on the map again...did I ever send you the "prototype" (as I call the one too small) lev?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 04:34:12 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
New Colony Game
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2005, 05:04:40 PM »
You are Plymouth, with unlimited resources and great defenses. Now, what you have is an endless wave of Thor's Hammer Lynxes, they keep coming and coming. It'd also be cool if we had some special way to document how long someone lasts, and we can brag about it.
A trainer-type of game would be nice - it's not that hard to make eden spit out wave after wave of thors hammer's. I've had trouble keeping a hard-level playable, eg. not TOO hard.. ask leviathan about my 'hard' missions when i started working on them  :rolleyes:

Some more details about the map is all you'd need to create a trainer like that
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Hawk

• http://wonbirdsofprey.tripod.com
New Colony Game
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2005, 09:40:44 AM »
I like the idea of waves of endless vehicles coming at you.  Kinda like the Warcraft III guard tower mini-game.
<PÅ>Hawk "Birds of Prey"

Offline Leviathan

New Colony Game
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2005, 09:42:11 AM »
You could have differnt lines of defence and you would get beaten back into your base.

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
New Colony Game
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2005, 12:08:23 PM »
maybe strange questoin but some while back someone sayd that you could take over someone base. by building your base inside... but isnt there a way to make buildings change ownrers :D
becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
New Colony Game
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2005, 04:04:47 AM »
you can't take over a base, ever.

my brother tried this one game - he built a cc on top of a tube intersection in my base - as soon as he started building, about 1/4 of my structures lost their cc- connection cos his building was in the way
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
New Colony Game
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2005, 07:39:58 AM »
However, tubes can be shared - I have just tested it.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
New Colony Game
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2005, 07:49:23 AM »
The only way you can take over someone else's base is thru code.

The DLL can change ownership, say on certain conditions (say, you destroy their CC so everything they have left gets given to you).

And yeah, tubes aren't owned by anyone, it's actually just a bit flag in the map in memory. The real thing just is that you can't share resources this way (you can't get their food, workers, etc by hooking up to their base, and they wont keep your buildings active)