Author Topic: Outpost: Renegades Setup  (Read 8261 times)

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Outpost: Renegades Setup
« on: January 23, 2005, 08:16:13 AM »
Yesterday i've created a loader for Renegades, in order for the new campaign to co-exist with the original campaign. Hacker got me on the way, but since i couldn't find him for the past few days and his loader had a bug in it, i decided to build my own, and it works just fine.

Today i've worked out a setup program that installs all Renegades files, and creates startmenu/desktop icons. There's no more need to back up your original DLLs or other files, since Renegades will use other filenames; also for saved games.

Registered beta-testers can download this version from the beta-site
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 03:45:05 PM »
Looking great, works well.

Offline zanco

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 08:54:43 AM »
I'm not registered.
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 05:38:57 PM »
I'm sorry about this: the site is "member"-only becoz otherwise too many beta-versions will spread around. See this post on this forum.

A brief explaination:
Every week or so a new version of the current beta-mission is put online. This means only people that DO really get every other version, and actually test it (meaning you tell me whats wrong with it) will be allowed to get those beta's. I know a lot of companies (like ICQ) have ever-lasting ..what they call.. beta's, where in fact those are stable, distributable programs, but just use the term "beta" so you cannot claim anything if there's a problem with the software or whatever happens to your pc... you know..

The other thing is, that i don't want beta-versions to spread, since they can and WILL change every now and then { even mission 1 was updated recently, after being 'finished' for quite some time } and also because i want to be 100% sure they are stable and won't crash the game -wich still happens, unfortunately-

Hope you understand.
--------------------

Offline zanco

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 05:43:09 PM »
okay
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 05:59:12 PM »
For those of you that signed up as beta-testers: i've updated missions 1 & 2, the setup is again available for download at the betasite.
--------------------

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 10:21:39 AM »
Outpost : Renegades - mission 4 has now gone into BETA phase.[/size]
The setup has been updated to include the latest files, making it a 7.75MB download and 12 MB unpacked.

--------------------

Again, only registered beta-testers are allowed to download this version. I hope i will get plenty of input about the mission.

I've decided to go with a new BETA-team, again for the same reason: i want no one to have played ALL 4 missions at the moment this first set of 4 will be released to public. That way i am 100% sure everyone has something to look forward to -even the ones that beta-tested the old 1 & 2 missions, since they been updated as well to include some more exciting things :)

To sign up for beta: send an e-mail to renegades@eddy-b.com containing your nickname and preferably also your real (first) name. Please do not use void mail addresses, so i can send updates on the mission(s). I will NOT send any junk-mails or anything that is not renegades-related to your mailbox, i promise (i hate it too, when that happens)
--------------------

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 10:23:40 AM »
Can't wait to play thru em again.

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 08:32:34 AM »
Renegades refuses to run properly with version 1.3.3 that can be found on this website. After finding some problems earlier this week, that didn't seem to have a clear cause, i later found out the problem is NOT with renegades itself, but lies in DLLs supplied with the Outpost download. For testing we now need to work with the latest correct version (1.3.2).

Working towards a solution for this problem we have now worked out a way to make Renegades beta missions run with OPU-version 1.3.3. However it is STRONGLY recommended that everyone (beta)testing Renegades get version 1.3.2 for testing puposes. You can get it here:

http://beta.eddy-b.com/opu4op2dl.exe

The new setup that i've uploaded works fine with OPU version 1.3.3 - but it seems to make some multiplayer maps inaccessable. If you want to test Renegades with 1.3.3 be sure to install a second version of outpost, just for testing.

After your UNinstall Renegades, your original outpost game will run your multi-player maps without any problems again.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 10:29:20 AM by Eddy-B »
--------------------

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 03:40:10 PM »
great coding and work Eddy ;)

for the ren install atm i would of just created a op2 directory for ren, and packed it with no multi maps and just the ren files. and with 132 op2ext and mayb others.  

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 08:53:14 PM »
Update is completed.

3 new setups have been uploaded to the server; Please check first wich version you need to download:[ol type=\'I\'][li]BareBone contains only the necessary setup files. This version is to be installed over an existing outpost (OPU version 1.3.2). Do not use this version if you have the latest (1.3.3) version of Outpost installed;[/li][li]Update133 is to be installed over an existing outpost (OPU version 1.3.3). The package contains files to correct the problems with OPU version 1.3.3 in combination with Renegades;[/li][li]Complete a complete setup, including both versions BareBone & Update133. This package also contains a Stand-alone version of Renegades: a minimum set of files that can run Renegades, but not outpost-original. The stand-alone version is to be installed into a new empty folder. The user can select wich version is to be installed from within the setup program[/li][/ol]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 06:53:50 AM by Eddy-B »
--------------------

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2005, 06:55:10 AM »
Hacker and me will be working on a new and better way to out the 'proble' i found with op2ext.dll - more on this later
--------------------

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 04:42:39 PM »
I know many of you can't wait, but i'm still updating things and setting up the installation package. The website has been updated, and will soon have the Renegades Setup!
--------------------

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 04:53:07 PM »
viva la reunion :)